I want to correct my mistakes...

Stips

Feb 1, 2012
Japan
Hey guys, I need your help. My name is Lyon, I'm 25 years old and I've made many mistakes over the last few years. Mistakes that are embedded deep within my heart and eat at me every second of every day. You see, 5 Years ago my daughter was born. Her name is Mei. My wife and I had wanted a child for a long time, and when we found out she was pregnant it was pure bliss. We were so excited to bask in the joy our child would bring us. A few months before she gave birth, she fell very ill. She had battled fevers throughout her life, nobody knew what caused them. She would get sick for months at a time. The doctors said the delivery might be dangerous and that we should consider abortion, but my wife maintained that she was fine and wanted to deliver Mei. My wife died minutes after giving birth. When my wife died, I completely succumbed to my depression. Before meeting her, I was a nobody. I had no goals, I was barely scraping by in school, and living on the street was a real possibility, but she motivated me and gave me a reason to live. When she passed, I went back to that state. I gave custody of Mei to her parents and turned to alcohol to help me deal with the depression.

For the last 5 years I had seen my daughter only a hand full of times. When I wasn't locked up in my house, I was working. I rarely saw her or did anything for that matter. I saw my mother in law last week at a restaurant and she recommended I go on a trip with her, her husband and Mei. She wouldn't stop pestering me about it, so I finally agreed to go. On Tuesday I arrived at their house and found a note along with two train tickets. She told me that her husband and her had something to do and said they'd meet us at our destination. I saw what they were trying to do. Mei and I waited a few hours to see if they'd come home, but they didn't and Mei wanted to go on the trip so we went without them.

The train ride was awkward. We hardly said anything. I felt terrible, how could I have alienated myself from my daughter? What a terrible father I am. Mei was to be the light of my world, but I threw it all away. She wasn't comfortable around me. She called me by my first name and our conversations had a horrible underlying tone. I wanted to make it up to her so badly, but I did not know how.

When we arrived in Kingston we stopped at a toy shop. She was bored the entire train ride and I promised I'd buy her a toy. She picked out a small turtle toy, and we headed out to a small grotto a few kilometres away. This was one of my wife's favourite places in the entire world, and it was here that I confessed my feelings to her. Mei also loved it, I carried her around on my shoulders and gave her a good tour of the place, telling her how her mother loved it. We spent some time admiring the scenery and had a picnic. She then went off to play with her new toy in a nearby flower patch.

I zoned out under a tree and Mei ran over to me looking rather down. She told me that she had lost her turtle toy. We spent at least an hour looking for it before I told her it was useless and promised to buy her another, but she wanted to find it. We looked a little longer before I told her that it was fine and I wouldn't be upset. She told me that's not why she wanted to find it. She said that she wanted to find it because it was special. It was the first one that daddy had bought her. That was the first time she had called me daddy, and I nearly lost it. I hugged her holding back the tears, and after some convincing she too agreed we should leave the turtle behind. We headed to our hotel.

I thought she'd be tired out, but no. She couldn't sleep. We spent the night talking about how much fun we had on the trip so far, but then she asked me something. She wanted me to tell her about her mother. It hit me like a hammer. I tried to talk to her about Christina, but I couldn't. I only got a few sentences out before I completely lost it. Christina wanted nothing more than to have a hand in Mei's life. We were supposed to live together, and have our happy ever after. When I wiped the tears from my eyes and face I noticed Mei was crying too. I saw Christina in her, and I knew that the one wish I had 5 years ago, was to live a happy life with those I loved. Though one of them was ripped from us, I was determined to make up for what I had lost. I apologized, told her it was okay to cry sometimes, and continued talking about Christina.

The way her face lit up when I told her how her mother made me feel and how amazing her mother was, was like nothing I had ever seen before. I finally had a taste of that happiness we had aspired to achieve some years ago. I had finally found the one person on this planet who could pull me out of this depression and make me truly happy. They were under my nose this entire time, and I had shun them from my life. Not wanting to face them, assuming they would only highlight the sadness I had felt over the years. How wrong I was.

The train ride home was a lot more eventful and pleasant, we really connected on that ride home. When I dropped her off at my mother in law's she told me that she had a lot of fun, wanted to do it again, said she loved me and gave me a kiss. The first time any of that has happened.

I've made a terrible mistake. I've thrown away 5 years of my life. I can only imagine what Christina would say if she saw how I had gone about these last 5 years. What a pathetic life I have been leading. I want to change that, though. I want my daughter to come live with me. I want to spend my days with her, raising her and telling her about her mother. How her mother inspired me to be a great person, and how she too had inspired me. How do I go about telling my mother in law?

I've spoken to my daughter about the idea, she said that she wanted to come live with me. Our house is big (It was supposed to house 3 people afterall) and I'm financially stable. I could easily support us both. I'm sure her grandparents would pick her up from kindergarten while I'm working. I just want to be back in my child's life. I had such a vision for us, but I threw it all away. It's disgusting. However, that same fire that Christina set in me so many years ago is burning yet again. I feel the same way I did when Christina motivated me to be the best I can be. Losing her was terrible, but I've been given a piece of her in the form of my daugther. I see Christina in her and I want to be a part of her life.

Christina, I'm sorry for how blind I have been. Mei is the result of something truly special, and the happiness I once felt can only be felt again when I am with her. How could I have been so cruel to the one I love the most?

I have tomorrow off work and will be spending the day with Mei. I don't want to rush anything, I think I should continue to see her consistently for a little while longer before I suggest this to my mother in law, but how should I go about suggesting it?

Last edited:

Stips

Feb 1, 2012
Japan
I hate updating you guys like this and could see how it would get annoying, but it's nice to feel like I'm talking to someone.

I didn't say anything about this to them today. I'm meeting them again tomorrow for dinner, I might bring it up. My in-laws know me well. See, I come from a dysfunctional household myself. My mother died when I was a few weeks old and I have been on horrible terms with my father for as long as I can remember. We would always fight, I was very ungrateful. All throughout high school I would spend my days at Christina's house. Hanging out and helping her family out, I'd be there pretty much the entire evening. In my senior year when I confessed to Christina how I felt, her family took me in. I spent my senior year living there, and spent a few months there after I graduated. I worked in their bakery pretty much full-time for no pay. They saw how Christina transformed me over those years and if I show them I am still that person, they'll have no problems giving me custody of Mei. I love my in-laws, they've been very good to me.

However, this brings me to something else. I promised Christina that when Mei was born I would make up with my father. Christina had pushed me to make him up with from the day I met her, and I always told her no, but I think it's about time. I myself am pretty much in the situation my father was in, and I realize how much of an ungrateful prick I was. He pretty much sacrificed everything to make sure I'd turn out okay, how dare I treat him so poorly all these years. I haven't said a single word to my father since the day I proposed to Christina. He's still living 3 blocks away in the house I moved out of in my senior year. I need to show him that I truly am sorry and he deserves to meet his granddaughter.

bssage

Super Moderator
Oct 20, 2008
Iowa
Wow heck of a story.

I really wouldn't know what to add. Sounds like you are taking a reasoned approach to things.

So my advice is keep doing what you are doing.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
I am not ignoring you, I just wanted you to know that. I read this last night and got very teary eyed. It is quite a story, and my heart aches for you. I would like to give some supportive words for what you are going through right now, but I will have to come back later tonight because I need to shower and pick up the house. I would like to think about it some more too. Hang in there!! :)

parentastic

PF Fiend
Jul 22, 2011
Canada
Hello Stips,

One quick question comes to mind. Your profile says you are from Japan. Your vocabulary in English is excellent. Christina is not a very Japanese name. I am curious to hear, what are your origins & culture? What about Christina? And the in-laws? This could help provide some context to your story, if I may ask.

Stips

Feb 1, 2012
Japan
I was born in Kyoto, Japan. Christina is originally from Colorado, but her family moved to Kyoto for work. Her family is of English/Italian descent, though her immediate family (My in-laws and herself) spoke fluent Japanese. Once her father was laid off, they decided to stay in Kyoto and opened a bakery. I have been speaking English since I was 4 years old, I have not perfected my English by any means, but I do like to think I'm fluent in it.

parentastic

PF Fiend
Jul 22, 2011
Canada
I was curious to hear about your in-law culture. Thank you, I understand better the situation now.

You ask how you can go about suggesting to your in-law that you could take care of your daughter now.
What do you think they think about you?
What do you think they think about you taking back the custody of your daughter?

How well did you knew them at the time you were with Christina? Do you think they know what happened to you after she passed?

Why do you think they organized this event and decided to let you be alone with her all by yourself for a day? What do you think they expected out of this event?

Finally, I am very puzzled by this remark:
I'm sure her grandparents would pick her up from kindergarten while I'm working. I just want to be back in my child's life. I had such a vision for us, <I>but I threw it all away. It's disgusting</I>.
Why is it disgusting? What do you mean when you say you threw it away? What are your emotions as you write this?

Last edited:

Stips

Feb 1, 2012
Japan
I feel ungrateful. Like I did not give my child what the deserved. They expected me to be there for them, and that was my role as a father, but I didn't fulfil it. I am no better than my own father.

Stips

Feb 1, 2012
Japan
I'm sorry, I ignored half of your questions and I cannot find an edit feature.

I think they know the kind of person I can be. When Christina first moved her, I was kind of a bum. I had no aspirations, but she changed me. When I was with her, I was at my best. They know how I am when I'm at my best. I'm sure they understand my depression, but I believe they know I can beat it.

I think they want me to take back custody. I think that was the point of this trip, but I can't be sure.

When I was with Christina I knew them well. They were parents to me. As I mentioned before I spent nearly all my time with her family and even spent my senior year living with them.

They do know what happened to me. Her mother is especially a big person in my life. She tried very hard to help me after Christina passed, but I wouldn't take any part of it. I truly believe they are family to me, and I want them to be a part of my life again.

parentastic

PF Fiend
Jul 22, 2011
Canada
Alright Stips, I think I can provide some reflections now.
Thank you for answering my questions!

Stips said:
I feel ungrateful. Like I did not give my child what the deserved. They expected me to be there for them, and that was my role as a father, but I didn't fulfil it.
I have seen many, many children who were raised by parents suffering from depression, substance abuse, uncontrolled anger, and many other similar problems. The result is devastating to the child.
Sometimes, taking the time to live your mourning, and go through your depression, leaving your child in the capable and loving hands of your in-laws, this actually MAY have been the best and only way you actually HAVE taken care of your daughter.

Living through a mourning is a deep and traumatic ordeal.
You can blame yourself forever for living your grief, but it won't change the fact that you don't control how you live your grief. It's a trauma. You went through it. Your daughter is safe, has been safe for 5 years, and that is what matters.
You missed 5 years of her life - 5 critical years in the development of a child. But she has not been alone, and from what I gather, she has grown well, being loved and protected by wonderful grandparents. And now, you have a lifetime in front of you to start back: it's never too late.

Let me ask you a very direct question.
If you decide you are not "good enough" to come back into your daughter's life now that she is five... and one day she grows up and learns that her dad, who spent a day with her and offered her a turtle toy, never came back after this and left her alone again because he was too ashamed of himself - what would she think? Do you think she would look back and would rather have you be there or not?

Stips said:
I am no better than my own father.
You are not your father.
You are you.
What happened with your father, if I may ask?

Stips said:
I'm sorry, I ignored half of your questions and I cannot find an edit feature.
Bottom left of each post ;)
No worries!

Stips said:
I think they know the kind of person I can be. When Christina first moved her, I was kind of a bum. I had no aspirations, but she changed me. When I was with her, I was at my best. They know how I am when I'm at my best. I'm sure they understand my depression, but I believe they know I can beat it.
To a certain extent, it is also possible that your depression - as difficult as it may have been - also reinforced their link and their appreciation of you. After all, <I>you were in pain because you loved their daughter</I>. Your depression was the living proof she was a wonderful person. In you, perhaps, they saw the common, shared grief. Your depression, to them, might have been the mirror they needed, reflecting exactly what they felt too, even if they may have reacted differently.

Stips said:
I think they want me to take back custody. I think that was the point of this trip, but I can't be sure.
Why not ask them why they decided to organize this, then?

Stips said:
When I was with Christina I knew them well. They were parents to me. As I mentioned before I spent nearly all my time with her family and even spent my senior year living with them.
They have lost a daughter.
Maybe, they would like to win back a son.
You won't know until you ask.

Stips said:
They do know what happened to me. Her mother is especially a big person in my life. She tried very hard to help me after Christina passed, but I wouldn't take any part of it. I truly believe they are family to me, and I want them to be a part of my life again.
And this is wonderful. What I read here, is that you have no fear to have regarding your desire to spend some time with your daughter and get back into her life, because you are in no way trying to remove her from them - and they seem to want you to be part of the family again. (again: ask, it's the best way to know!)
My only suggestion, is to go slow. Spend some time every week, then every other day. The rest will come naturally.

I hope this helps :)

singledad

PF Addict
Oct 26, 2009
South Africa
I have read through this thread a few times, and I don't know if I can add much to what parentastic has written, but I feel compelled to reply, because I read so many phrases in your posts that I have also said to my self in the past, with very destructive consequences. I won't say I know how you feel, because I am not you and I don't believe that anyone can ever truly understand how someone else feels. But I know all about guilt, regret, and feeling that you don't deserve to be happy, and most of all, grief.

When I read about how you were basically a bum when you met Christina, and how she brought out the best in you and inspired you to be a better person, I can relate to that. I also had the amazing privilege to be loved by a wonderful woman, who saw potential in me when the rest of the world (including myself) only saw a hopeless loser. I married her, had a wonderful daughter with her, and then lost her. I don't think it is ever possible for someone who hasn't been there, to truly understand the depth of grief losing someone like that causes. For me, it has been more than two years and sometimes it still hurts so much that I struggle to breathe.

In the beginning I, too, seriously considered leaving my daughter with someone who I believed would be better equipped to bring her up. Fortunately for me, the only person who could fulfill that role was my brother who, firstly, had more faith in my parenting abilities that I had, and secondly, understood that I needed that responsibility to keep me from self-destructing. So I understand why you did what you did, and I agree with parentastic that you shouldn't spend the rest of your life beating yourself up about it. Grief is like a form of insanity - it makes you do things that you would never do under different circumstances. Perhaps you made a mistake. Perhaps it was the best thing to do at the time for Mei. You will never know, but don't allow that decision to ruin the rest of both your lives. Close that door. Move on.

That brings me to my second point:
Stips said:
I am no better than my own father.
I believed that too, for much too long. See, my father was an abusive alcoholic. I started drinking in my early teens, and ended up addicted to drugs before I finished highschool. And yes - I was extremely angry, and verbally and emotionally abusive to those I loved the most. So it was easy for me to look in the mirror and say to myself - you are no better than your own father. But when I was in my early twenties, I realized something - I had a choice. I could choose to live the life my father had lived and die bitter, alone and hated like him, or I could choose to take charge, accept responsibility for my own future, and become a better person.

I don't know what your father did, but it sounds like you believe that you have made some of the same mistakes your father made. That is not at all strange - he was your example, after all. But there is one huge difference between you and him - you have recognized the mistakes, and you aren't satisfied to continue to live that way. You have desire to be a better person and a better father. And you know what? You don't need much more that. You have the power to be the person you want to be - we all do. If you are brutally honest with yourself, I'm sure you will realize that you already know what to do. Don't let your shame hold you back. Draw a line in the sand. Let your regrets become your inspiration to not repeat the same mistakes over and over.

Taking responsibility will empower you to become the best you can be.

Remember that all a child really ever asks of a parent is unconditional love. You may make mistakes. No - you WILL make mistakes. But so what? Everyone does. As long as you are motivated by love and you truly want what is best for her, it will be ok in the end.

You say your in-laws know the person you can be. I does sound like they want you to be a part of your daughter's life. So perhaps the best thing to do would be to go talk to them. Sit down, tell them what you told us - about how you realized that you've screwed up and want to do better, but don't know how. Let them help you work out a plan to build a relationship with your daughter. Don't rush things - take it one step at a time. Don't fixate on getting custody - living arrangements aren't as important as repairing the bond between you. If it takes a while before you are ready to have her live with you, that's ok. It doesn't matter how slowly you move forward - as long as you are moving forward and not backward, you will get there eventually.

If you find that your depression is holding you back, consider getting help. (I'm assuming you've already stopped drinking). Anti-depressants aren't a magic cure-all, but they can be a god-sent. If you don't need it - fine, but if you do - don't be too proud to ask. You will know.

If you feel you are ready to make up with your father, then do so. As with your in-laws, tell him what you told us - about how you now realize how ungrateful you were, how sorry you are, and that you want him to be a part of your life and your daughter's life. You have no relationship with him now, so you have nothing to loose. Even if he rejects your attempts, at least you will know that you tried. Here, too, you can't un-make the mistakes of the past, but fortunately changing the past isn't a requirement for forgiveness. Forgiveness requires only humility, and letting go of your own anger. It sounds like you've already let your anger towards him go, so you're halfway there.

I can spend the rest of the day on this topic, but unfortunately I have to get to work. I hope I have managed to say something that will encourage you.

Stips

Feb 1, 2012
Japan
First of all, thank all of you for your kind words and insight. I cannot put into perspective how much it means to me.

@parentastic

My father was not a part of my life. When my mother died, I continued to live with him, but he was not there, he did not live. He was not a person while I lived with him. He was a drunk body. We did not speak, he did not help me, and I hated him for it. However, I did not handle my depression any better than he did.

@singledad

I want to thank you for the lengthy response. I read it all and it touched me. I have not been depressed since the day of the trip. I suppose I have been sad, but I have not wallowed in my depression. Mei has brought joy to my life. I spoke to my mother in-law about this, and she said to speak to Mei about it and take my time. Mei will be spending the weekend with me and I just want to focus on having a good few days with my daughter. I will bring up the living arrangements on Sunday and see what she has to say, though she's already told me that she wants to live with me. I think I'll also go see my father with her. Outside of that, I don't want to spoil the weekend with depressing topics. If she wants to hear about Christina, I will tell her about Christina.

Once again, thank you all for everything. I'll stop updating so we can all move on now, I believe I've gotten the advice I need. Thank you.

parentastic

PF Fiend
Jul 22, 2011
Canada
A few additional details come to mind, Stips:

1) Even if your daughter is all excited and ready to come and live with you, I'd still go very slowly and incremental.
Children need a known routine, especially around her age.
And she is now emotionally attached to her grandparents: as much as she wants to go with you, she will deeply miss her grandparents if she starts seeing them less. Making this progressive will help. Make sure the in-laws stays in her life as much as possible.

2) Your father was a drunk body and you had to witness this and live with it as a child for a very long time. You did not force your daughter to see this in you, you protected her from yourself until you were ready to come back as full, healthy and loving dad. You acted very differently from your father, from my standpoint.

3) Your daughter have never seen her mother.
In the same day, she found out she has a dad who is a nice person, back and present for her, caring and loving, AND someone who can tell her what her mother was like. She needs to hear this! You need to let it out and tell her, so it gets out of your heart and chest. You both can heal each other, as long as you remain sad, but not longer depressed.
Christina lives in Mei.
She would have wanted both of you to be happy.

4) I'd be careful to arrange things with your own dad first before involving your daughter. She does not need conflicts around her.

Good luck! :)

Buttaflly227

PF Regular
Jan 31, 2012
This is SUCH a touching story! I can't even imagine what this must be like for you. However, the important thing is that you have realized what you want to do, and it is not too late to really be a father to her. She is only 5 after all and she can now grow up knowing and loving you. It would be much harder if she were 15 so be grateful that you found your way now.
I think your plan sounds good; to see Mei consistently and allow each other to get more familiar with one another. I think you will know when it's the right time to approach your mother in law about it, and they are likely to support that as long as they get to still see her, naturally.
I'm SO proud of you. That is a dark situation that happened and know that Cristina is out there somewhere watching over the both of you and must be so happy that you've come out of this. Late is better than never and the important thing is that you've decided to start being in her life. &lt;3

MrsMummy

Feb 3, 2012
if it is what you want and what your daughter wants than the only part that really is for discussion is the hows. She is your daughter you are her only living parent, she needs you. doesnt matter anything else nothing can break a childs need to feel wanted by a parent, it can continue into adulthood

Firstly thank them and give them honour for what they have done for your daughter and what you couldnt have done for her for all those years knowing that they cared for her while they were grieving, too.

Get yourself right: emotionally and cleaned up (esspecially the drinking you mentioned) there are help groups 12 step meetings like AA or alanon that can help alot to keep you grounded. Also councelling to further process your grief, in patient or out patient

Make a promise: to your daughter that you will never leaver her or forsake her ever again. Make contact with her EVERYDAY after taht promise, phone, visit, outings.
Make a promise to: them that they will still be and for ever be a huge part of your daughters life
Start the process of transistion, 1 night with you 3 nights with them 2 night with you 3 nights with them, and build it up steddily and quickly so that the transission is completely over in a month or 2 unless one of 2 things happens she gets distressed or you get distressed.

HOWEVER do not take it lightly if you ARE truely ready to make a promise to your daughter make sure you are prepared to move heaven and earth to fullfil that promise.

wishing you well with your biggest journey every, make the memories of your wife begin to bring you joy again
warm regards
MrsMummy

singledad

PF Addict
Oct 26, 2009
South Africa
I am sorry to hear that your father wasn't available to be a father to you. But parentastic is right - you did not make your daughter witness your own drunkenness, and you did not leave her to fend for herself, the way you were left. She was loved and taken care of. (btw: when you find out how to handle depression "the right way" - do let me know :rolleyes: )

I am glad your daughter have been able to bring you joy. Sad is fine, everyone gets sad. As long as it isn't the kind of depression that stop you thinking clearly and acting in your daughter's and your own best interest.

I also have to agree with parentastic on not involving your daughter with your father immediately. Check out the situation first. Is he still drinking? Do you even want your daughter to be exposed to him on a regular basis? When you have built up some level of trust between you, you can introduce your daughter to him. Yes - he has a right to know his granddaughter, but her interests come first. Make sure that the meeting will be a happy one before you set it up.

Please don't stop updating us! I would love to hear how things work out for you...

Mom2all

PF Fiend
Nov 25, 2009
Eastern North Carolina, USA
I agree that slow is the only way you can make this work in her best interest. Your depression was real and I'm not taking away from that at all. But that incredible sadness made your decision a 5 year journey. Do not let an incredible happiness in finding your light again through your daughter make you jump to alter everyones life again in an instant. It took 5 years to get here... it can't be fixed in a week, month or maybe even a year. All she has known is with her Grandparents. She can't at her age understand all that is involved in leaving them to come home with you. The first step in parenting is doing what is best for her.. and her alone. And its my personal opinion that you should not be talking to her about about what she thinks about living with you at all. That is a decision that should be made after you and her have gotten to know each other and some serious discussions with the only caretakers she's ever had.

Please know, I am sympathetic to you. I understand your desire. I'm not trying to be hard nosed. But our child's needs are more important than ours. And... even though you were right in making sure she was taken care of when you couldn't do it by leaving her with them where she was safe and loved, her grandparents have rights too. They have been her parents these last 5 years. It sounds like they are trying to help you build a relationship. Please don't assume they should just give her back.

superman

PF Fiend
Aug 23, 2010
Canada
You can't change the past. but you have the future, and you have a great oppurtunity in front of you to heal. Your focusing on the negative, when you have so much. but You have a lot to lose. Your kid deserves a dad. it's a concept we struggle with because of our own conflictions that arent figured out yet. Not trying will be the biggest regret of your life 15 years down the road.

its hard, and u might not understand it all now, and your issues wont be solved. but if you make an effort to change them, in time you will be happy.

god only knows the shit ive done. and im still learning, every day i have to remind myself. I feel hypocritical giving u this advice, when i've had so much trouble listening to it myself. But i'm trying, I hope that you can come to that understanding one day to

Last edited:

alter ego

PF Enthusiast
Oct 6, 2011
the bush, Australia
Im very sorry for the loss of your wife.
Now this may sound harsh, but you really need to let go of the past mistakes and focus on your future with Mei.
One day she will be old enough to understand that after her mother died you werent able to look after her, and that you love her so much that her grandparents too her to live with them.
For now move slowly, focus on building your relationship. Id casually mention to her about coming for a sleep over sometime, and see if she seems interested. I certainly wouldnt plan to take custody for at least a year, and only after Mei was happy coming to stay for longer periods of time AND had expressed a desire to move in with you.
Be kind to yourself and best of luck