If you sign your kids up for Tae Kwon Do......

kdryan

PF Fanatic
Jan 2, 2009
Fort Wayne, In
... be careful what you ask for. We did for ours, and Olivia is going ape over it. She's not being violent or anything, it's just something she likes, and it's building her confidence by bounds. Here is how much she is into it. During class, when they do a move, they are supposed to yell 'Hai!' or something like that and the instructor is always saying he can't hear the class well enough. So Olivia (being the type who wants to please everyone) just yells her little heart out. It's our thing that while they're in class, we'll go down to the Subway at the other end of the complex and sit and browse the internet or whatever on my laptop. We regularly hear her yelling about 3/4 of the way over, a distance of at least 300 ft. Every time he ask a question (rhetorical or not) she has her hand up.

And here is the kicker. The other night I woke up about 4:00 AM and was working on the computer, since sleep was out the window. As I sat there, I heard a shout from her room, and went running in to see what the problem was to find Olivia laying in bed quietly. I asked her if she was ok, and she smiled and replied 'I was dreaming about ATA!' She was dreaming she was at practice and and shouted 'Hai!' out in her sleep. She went back to sleep with a smile still plastered ear from ear. :)

Father_0f_7

PF Addict
Aug 19, 2008
F.I., Florida
Billy and Kaitlyn also do Tae Kwon Do. Ever since they were 5. I did Tae Kwon Do also from the time I was 4 to the time I was 17.
Billy did something like that once. It was funny...not at the time because we thought he was being kidnapped or something.

meand3

PF Regular
Jun 18, 2010
My son has been doing it also, cant get him to go now as his school summer holiday is almost here, he just wants to play outside all the time.

Hopefully he will start back in the autumn as it has been great for his confidence.

meand3

PF Regular
Jun 18, 2010
Oh and his little sister goes to tiger cubs the under 5's version, she looks sooo cute in her little suit.

lovelymum

Jun 22, 2010
Tae Kwon Do is a wonderful kind of sport and I like it very much. So if my children give a preference to this sport I will support their choice.

PositiveParent

Jun 22, 2010
Eight years old is a terrific time to begin a sport. If she chooses to stick with it, she may well go on to becoming an expert.

She seems to be enjoying it, I would encourage her.

My son does Kung Fu and moeves up one belt each year.

Hartz75

PF Enthusiast
Jun 10, 2010
Ontario, Canada
I had my daughter in it for 2 years, but at Christmas she was fighting not to go, so we pushed it for a bit and then let her stop, as long as she did something else. She said she does not want to continuously do one thing, she wants to keep trying new things. So she has bounced about. :rolleyes: I wish she would focus on something, but I guess this is better then nothing.

I so wanted her to do Karate, so she could take care of herself, but I can't force her. :(

www777

PF Regular
Jun 21, 2010
I am glad to hear what you guys say because I want my little one to start jujitsu as soon as she can to be able to understand what her body can do but maybe I shouldnt let her start at 5 but later. Have to remember how enthusiastic they get!