If you were the parent.......

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
Having taught school I can personally see why this teacher did this. It happens almost every class. I don't think she needed to use force or try and scare the child but rather give him a choice to sit up and listen to or sit in the office with a referral. They were both wrong in my opinion.
As a parent I would get both sides. I by no means think my children are innocent but I also believe teachers need to do their job appropriatly and not with hostility. There would be a staff meeting and go from there. My opinion

Kim

PF Fiend
Apr 3, 2007
St. Louis, MO
musicmom said:
Having taught school I can personally see why this teacher did this. It happens almost every class. I don't think she needed to use force or try and scare the child but rather give him a choice to sit up and listen to or sit in the office with a referral. They were both wrong in my opinion.
As a parent I would get both sides. I by no means think my children are innocent but I also believe teachers need to do their job appropriatly and not with hostility. There would be a staff meeting and go from there. My opinion
I agree 100%.

Kim

PF Fiend
Apr 3, 2007
St. Louis, MO
HappyMomma said:
I can't even imagine doing that to wake my child up much less someone else's.
That's fair - do you think the teacher should be sued?

Do you think the student bears any fault?

HappyMomma

PF Addict
Mar 7, 2008
Wylie, TX
If it can be proven that the action of the teacher caused medical problems... yes.

I think the student is responsible for staying awake and following any other school rules, but if (as stated above) the teacher caused medical problems... no, I don't think that the punishment should include physical pain/bleeding from the ear.

Pretty touchy situation as I cannot imagine that the teacher had any idea their action would cause physical harm.

TammyZed

PF Enthusiast
Mar 8, 2008
Ontario
Barring medical conditions, both are at fault. The student shouldn't have been sleeping in her class, and the teacher definitely should not be hitting the surface of a desk hard enough to shatter an ear drum.

My son has epilepsy and gets absence seizures at school sometimes. He zones out and becomes inattentive. It usually isn't hard to snap him out of it, but sometimes he seems like he's awake and dreaming, and usually won't answer if you call his name. He'll rouse if you touch or tap him gently, and it only lasts about thirty seconds at the most. It's not his fault that he's drifting off, but it could be mistaken for drowsiness. If a teacher did this to him for that, I'd be <I>pissed</I>.

Kim

PF Fiend
Apr 3, 2007
St. Louis, MO
Tammy I agree with you - but do your son's teachers know of his medical condition? I would think that would make a difference to the teacher's actions

TammyZed

PF Enthusiast
Mar 8, 2008
Ontario
hannah's mommy said:
Tammy I agree with you - but do your son's teachers know of his medical condition? I would think that would make a difference to the teacher's actions
They're aware that he has epilepsy, yes. It worries me that when people hear "epilepsy" they think tonic clonic seizures--as in, falling to the ground and spasming, what typically comes to mind with seizures. Morgan does get those from time to time, but he might have tens of absence seizures in a day, and not even <I>he</I> notices them all. They're very subtle, so many people aren't aware that it's a seizure.

There are many reasons why that student could have been asleep, but the likeliest is boredom, and that's rude on the student's part, so I can see how it would be offensive to a teacher. Regardless, the teacher shouldn't be smacking desks.

FooserX

PF Addict
Jul 11, 2007
Denver
Seems like an accident to me. I'm sure the teacher wasn't purposely trying to burst an eardrum. I can certainly see why the teacher did it.

Teachers used to throw books on desks all the time when I was in school and kids lost attention.

I would be furious as a parent, no doubt, but I can see why they did it.