Im back home...

AmyBelle

PF Fiend
Apr 20, 2008
Australia
Its been a hell of a week.

Tuesday morning we were evacuated, my dad and step-dad took Bek and Lily to an evacuation shelter, I volunteered for one of the Red Cross makeshift hospitals.

Basically from Tuesday through to Friday I was in this huge tent that was acting as a base to keep people before the ambulance helicopters could come and collect them. Of which there were 2 for our entire area, so we got around three pick-ups a day.

I'll tell you something, I dont know how people in the burns unit do it, im used to pediatric nursing, the smell of burned flesh is so sickening, it gets in through the masks and everything, and that was all I smelled for 4 days staright, because all I was doing for 4 days stright was nursing burns victims.

Some stories to come out of there are heartbreaking. We got this little boy, he couldnt be more than 6, he was burned and unconcious, we found out from the firefighters that brought him in that both his parents and little sister had died, so when he wakes up in hospital, he's going to find out that his whole family is dead. I just hope the hospital he went to finds some other living relatives.

Our area was cleared on Saturday, as the fires there were put out (still many burning in other areas though) so I went back home, and my dads brought the girls back. Thankfully our house is still standing. Theres a fair bit of flying ember damage, but nothing that cant be fixed.

Sunday we went up to see if Dad and Papa-Trent's house is still there, well, it isnt, theres a brick chimney left, and thats about it. We managed to salvage a few things, we found some singed photos and a few nick nacks under the rubble, but its pretty much gone. So theyre staying with us until they re-build.

Sunday night DH came back. He has his fair share of horror stories aswell, being a police officer he had to deal with the bulk of the dead bodies.

On the plus side, theyve caught a few of the arsonists that did this.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
That's so horrible... I'm sorry AmyBelle. I couldn't possibly imagine. My heart aches for you guys. I don't even know what to say. :(

bssage

Super Moderator
Oct 20, 2008
Iowa
Good to hear your safely back.

I spent some time in Peoria IL hospt. Its a big burn center. I wasnt burned but the people in therapy were. Mostly 60 to 85%ers. Most of them wish they would have died. It was a bad deal. I hear they caught the guy that lit at least some of your fires?

At least you and yours are ok. I would guess theres still alot of work ahead of you though.

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
I'm glad you and the people close to are OK. This whole thing is just so sad, I'm so sorry you are all going through this. I hope they catch the rest of the a**holes that did this