Im really concerned about my daughters anger issues...

tinalombardi

Jan 29, 2013
Im a single mom to 2 daughters , one is 19 and one is 14. My oldest daughter has been showing a lot of hostility and anger towards me and others latley and I don't know what to do. She has dropped out of college and works with me at the restauraunt I own. Just yesterday she verbally attacked one of the customers when they said their meat was a littke under done. She then took the plate , took it into the kitchen and smashed it in half in the sink. I took her aside and said that she can't be behaving like that with the customers. she then got even mre angry, told me to "fuck off" and said that I don't care about her and that I never have. I've tried talking to her but she just shuts down. She has always had a temper but sh.e's never done anything like this before. A well as being angry she's also very emotional. Like she couldn't find her keys so she started to get really upset and started to cry which is really unlike her. She also started to get upset because I didn't get what I said I would get for dinner. She never is normally like this which is why Im so worried

Last edited:

singledad

PF Addict
Oct 26, 2009
South Africa
Can you remember when things changed? Did something happened in her life around that time? Do you know why she dropped out of college?

tinalombardi

Jan 29, 2013
singledad said:
Can you remember when things changed? Did something happened in her life around that time? Do you know why she dropped out of college?
Well she started behaving strangely in November , which is when she dropped out of college. She told me she just dropped out because she didn't like her classes. But I don't know of anything major that happened around that time to cause her to be like this.

akmom

PF Fiend
May 22, 2012
United States
I would bet that something happened in college that drove her to drop out, and she's facing an onslaught of frustrations and disappointments now. So trivial things are going to seem like a big deal for awhile. I'm not sure there is much you can do about it, except be supportive.

I'm not even sure it matters <I>what</I> happened. It could have been too much change for her all at once. It might have been that college was too much work, not interesting enough, too lonely, too socially overwhelming, or too unfamiliar. She could have also had a bad experience with peers, staff, or the accommodations. Some people just aren't ready for college at 18 or 19.

When she is able to sort out new goals and find a new direction, she will probably become less angry and you'll better understand how to be supportive.

Mommyof4in11

PF Regular
Jan 19, 2013
South Central IL
It may be time to talk to her women to women and ask her if maybe talking to a therapist might help her. If she started this new behavior when she dropped out of college I am willing to bet it is the root of the behavior. Did she live on campus or did she commute and live at home with you? What ever the issue she needs someone that is a neutral party to talk with before it escalates any higher . I hope this helps and I am sorry I know that when they hurt you hurt so hang in there and be strong for her and yourself.

singledad

PF Addict
Oct 26, 2009
South Africa
Yes, it sounds safe to assume that something happened at college. It could be almost anything, but since it is affecting her behaviour so severely, something needs to be done. (btw - more questions - was she happy before she dropped out? Did she seem to enjoy her classes? Did her attitude change suddenly or did it seem to build up over time?)

My best suggestion would be to sit her down in a friendly, non-confrontational way, over a cup of tea or whatever she drinks, and tell her that you love her that you are worried because you can see she is having a difficult time. Offer to listen, making it clear that you will not judge her in any way (and make sure you mean it!). Then keep quiet. Let her talk. Just listen. (Perhaps read up on active listening before you do it). It is very likely that she won't be ready to talk. If that is the case, reiterate that you are there to listen any time she is ready, and continue to treat her in a supportive and non-judgemental way. And make sure that if she does decide to talk to you, you keep your promise to be available!

parentastic

PF Fiend
Jul 22, 2011
Canada
OP, i am concerned too, your daughter's behavior is indeed worrysome. At 19 years old, she should be emerging out of her teenager's years, making it unlikely that this would only be a hormonal thing. At best, she is going through some emotional and trying times and it affects her mood. At worst, something much more serious might be going on, but she is not feeling safe enough to share it with you.

Things that might be going on: she could have fallen pregnant in college before she dropped, she might be suffering from a depression or living a first romantic breakout, she may have discovered a different sexual orientation... It's hard to guess with the little information we have so far. But it would be safer to take it seriously.

The fact you wrote here shows you are conscious of this and are worried. Yet i have the impression that she doesn't preceive you as worried, so much as blaming (hence jer perceiving that you don't care).
When she acts out (smashing the dishes, etc) what she is doing is sending a message. She is saying: "i am suffering". If you react to the behavior rather than the emotion ("you can't do this in front of clients!"), she will receive it as a blame and feel that you don't understand her or don't care about her problems. Next times she acts out, no matter how bad the behavior, you have golden opportunities to show her you can ignore the behavior and express your worries and care: "awww sweetheart... are you okay? You seem to have a heart time... You know you can talk to me about anything right? What's going on?" ...it's not so much the words that matters: it's how you focus on her emotions and feelings rather than focus on the bad behavior. This will show her you care and open the door to lostening to her.

The goal is for her to realize that: there is nothing she can tell you that would make you love her less. Her hapiness is much more important to you than anything else, including judging her. She needs to feel, in her heart, that whatever she is going through, she can go through it together with you, safely.
It's your job to create the proper safe environment for her to realize this.
Singledad's advice about using active listening is excellent in that regards.
It's a powerful (but difficult!) skill to acquire.

Can you provide more context: does she has a bf or gf (romantic relationship)? How happy was she in her studies before dropping out? Does she know her career choices / passions / interests? Have you ever discussed her future? Did she had plans to leave the nest? Does she has any special needs or known conditions? Does she live home with you? What about the other parent? Siblings? Family?

bssage

Super Moderator
Oct 20, 2008
Iowa
Normally I would probably to a small extent disagree with PSTC on some of this. But I think at 19 she probably already know what she should and shouldn't do. So I think the opportunity is less of a lesson: And more of a listen ;)

I think she is doing something deliberately to force the issue or a need. I may be stretching here. But maybe a "grand gesture" is a more proper response for such a show of need. Something like letting someone else handle the restaurant or shutting the doors.

There may be a proper way of pulling off the "Grand Gesture" IDK. Might even be in PSTC's tool box But I have seen it used effectively in a management and family environment. It can be as simple as "We are not going to work today were going shopping." Or something as big as closing the doors on the shop. I think you have to be careful that its not perceived as punitive. But that it is: what it is. For a moment placing her need infront of anything and everything else.

Just a suggestion.

scarletjones

Banned
Apr 10, 2013
California
I think she is in some depression or something so don't worry she will recover in teenage such problems occur people loose temper easily be ready to face it.