Imaginary friends?...

kara

PF Regular
May 31, 2011
Anyone else's toddlers have imaginary friends? Mine's friend is becoming a more common fixture in the house. Stories about "janna" abound these days!

MomoJA

PF Fiend
Feb 18, 2011
Yes. My daughter invented her friend at around age 2. She sort of forgot her for a while, but she's much more "present" these days. We even have to set a place for her every now and then.

Shortly after she invented her, we were driving in the car, and she was talking about her. I referred to her somehow, and she said, "Mamma, you know that Gossie is just attend." I said, "I know, but I'm pretending just like you." She said, "Mamma, I love when you attend Gossie's real."

JBKB3

PF Regular
Jun 1, 2011
Edmond, Ok
Neither of my girls have really had imaginary friends that have stayed around for very long. My oldest though when she was about 2 was carrying on a conversation just outside of the master bedroom door (where my wife and I were), when we asked who she was talking to, she said the pretty lady. :eek:

I will save my thoughts on this for a paranormal message board.. :D

JB

Incogneato

PF Fanatic
Feb 9, 2011
MomoJA said:
"Mamma, you know that Gossie is just attend." I said, "I know, but I'm pretending just like you." She said, "Mamma, I love when you attend Gossie's real."
No imaginary friends yet but I guess we'll see.

And that quote is too cute MomoJA :)

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
All of them have had them to some extent. My ( year old son's took the cake. His were here all the time, ate dinner with us, camped with us, spent the night with us. You name it, for almost a year "Usher and John" were members of this family, a little harder to see then everyone else but members none the less LOL.

About a year in we noticed in starting to fade, and about a 1 1/2 later we asked Cole what had happened to his friends. He had a pretty good story for them, the gist was that they had grown up faster then him and both joined the military. Usher went on to stay in the military but John got out, got married and had kids...2 boys. He did still see them but just not as often cause they were both busy.

Most kids aren't that detailed and almost every kid outgrows it.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Imaginary friends are so cute! :) DS has not had any yet though.

MomoJA

PF Fiend
Feb 18, 2011
JBKB3 said:
Neither of my girls have really had imaginary friends that have stayed around for very long. My oldest though when she was about 2 was carrying on a conversation just outside of the master bedroom door (where my wife and I were), when we asked who she was talking to, she said the pretty lady. :eek:

I will save my thoughts on this for a paranormal message board.. :D

JB
My daughter had a similar experience shortly before she invented her imaginary friend. It really shook me up, especially the way it happened and her reaction to it, and so when a week or so later she first started talking about Gossie, I was a little nervous.

buddylovebabi

PF Enthusiast
Feb 16, 2011
Mighigan
My niece has SEVERAL imaginary friends. most of them are tiny and doll sized. They do things like sit on her shoulder or head, and sometimes they try to steal her food. The most common one's are cartoon characters. "Milly," "Bot," and "Geo" from Umizoomi, and Jack screamer from a cartoon I've never seen before.

We often have to punish her "friends" because they are all quite naughty and hit her, pull her hair, jump on the furniture and steal food.

teenage_parent

PF Enthusiast
Apr 15, 2011
when i was kid, i used to talk to myself a lot. i still do. heheheh it keeps me sane. and checks my reasoning.

that's insane i know.

JBKB3

PF Regular
Jun 1, 2011
Edmond, Ok
teenage_parent said:
when i was kid, i used to talk to myself a lot. i still do. heheheh it keeps me sane. and checks my reasoning.

that's insane i know.
Sometimes that is the most intelligent conversation you have.... I do it too.

JimH

Jun 24, 2011
Northern California
Neither of our kids have had them. Neither I nor my wife did either...

I wonder if there's something hereditary or environmental that makes this more likely?

For the most part it seems pretty harmless.

BeanTownBigEasy

Jul 1, 2011
Our First daughter had 2 but our second has none. She has a good old time playing with her friends. Neither my wife or I had them.

Edit: my daughter woke up at 5:15 this morning and when I asked her what was going on, she told me "TwoPopChops" was playing with her toys and being too loud. I nicely asked TwoPopChops to be quiet and we all went back to sleep....for 45 minutes!

Last edited:

chelbelle

Jul 9, 2011
United Kingdom
My little ones have not mentioned imaginery friends and I haven't seen them talking to air so to speak.

Pretty harmless and quite creative, certainly exploring both sides of their brain so not a bad thing hey.

I know one of my friends said that her daughter was seeing and hearing and would talk to someone at night but we figured that was not imaginery and something else! Depending on how open minded you are, think what you will...

Morquinn

Jul 9, 2011
My daughter doesnt nessecarily make up her own imaginary friends, she usually starts talking to imaginary movie characters. Basically what I mean, is she will watch a movie.. and then start talking and using the characters names in her imaginary world I guess you'd call it.

Tom_135

Jul 20, 2011
London
Hi Guys,

I have a 7-year-old son called Oliver and I'm concerned about his imaginary friend, Rattigan Hardwater.

I have several issues - firstly, I thought that childrens' imaginary friends were supposed to be their own age? According to Oliver, Rattigan is 45-year-old former spy.

Secondly, he says that Rattigan hates me, which I find quite hurtful as he is obviously just a projection of some (admittedly dark) recess of my son's mind. To make matters worse, Oliver says that Rattigan is madly in love with my wife (and Oliver's mother) Sarah.

This business is particularly unfortunate as my relationship with Sarah has been under a lot of strain recently. She often drinks too much wine in the evenings and says things like, "If you don't take the rubbish out I'll tell Rattigan!" before bursting out in fits of laughter. Oliver is often present when she says such things, which I find thoroughly irresponsible as it just strengthens his delusion, although he finds it hilarious (after such outbursts it's not uncommon for my wife and son roll around on the carpet together, laughing until they can barely breathe).

There is a darker side to this situation, one which I have only recently begun to have my suspicions about. Rattigan Hardwater's interests, as detailed on a wine-stained list that I found in my son's bedroom recently, include: 'treating his wife well', 'hating sport', 'being an amazing lover', 'not getting on my nerves' and 'chilling the hell out'. I can't be certain, but I'm beginning to suspect that my wife may have had a hand in creating this character, and may be effectively using Oliver's overactive imagination to create a malign presence in the house, which she can call upon at a moments notice to satisfy her petty, vindictive needs.

Have any of you had a similar experience?

How do I 'kill' Rattigan? Hypnotherapy? I'm thinking of dressing up as this man (I have a number of Oliver's drawings) and scaring the hell out of my son in the middle of the night, but that does seem a bit excessive. I'm untrained in psychology and the effect could be unpredictable - I don't want to traumatise Oliver, maybe I'd like to traumatise Sarah a bit, but I know that Oliver is just an unwitting vessel for this phantom home-wrecker.

Any advice you can give me will be gratefully received.

Tom

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
Tom, seems like your issues are more with Sarah than Oliver. I think I'd be much more concerned about the atmosphere Olver's living in than anything in Oliver's head.