in a funk?...

MomoJA

PF Fiend
Feb 18, 2011
I'm sure this is fairly normal, but it breaks my heart.

I've had quite a killer cold and the doctor prescribed something with hydrocodone in it. I took it until Sunday afternoon, and I hated it. I was irritible, antsy, generally out of sorts.

Since then, I've been feeling just off. I feel anxious and worried about something I can't put my finger on, and I've been having morbid fears of dying soon and leaving my baby alone. In other words, I've been in a funk.

This evening, just as I felt I was coming out of it, she seemed to fall into one. She faced some disappointment when her best friend didn't show up for "literacy" night at her school and the evening ended before she wanted it to. She cried nearly the whole trip home, about 35 minutes or so. It wasn't like her.

Could it be she picked up on my vibes? I felt like I hid my funk from her pretty well. Could my hormones have affected hers?

How do you snap a 5 year old out of a funk?

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
Is she getting sick? Growing? Getting enough sleep? These are most likely the culprit. Of course, she could be feeding off of you so momma put on a happy face. Fake it like there is no tomorrow.

On a serious note...are you maybe headed towards some depression? This time of year can bring it out in people, people who normally wouldn't have it.

bssage

Super Moderator
Oct 20, 2008
Iowa
How do you snap a 5 year old out of a funk?
I have found Belly Blowers, tickles (gillywackers), chasing around the house with the I gonna gitya's is pretty effective with my kids. Also a team toy. Like putting a lego kit, or some kind of craft that you can do together changes the mood and allows for calm talk.

These are just things I have had some success with.

Another thing, messing with the kids kinda cheers me up also.

Sorry you feeling down Momo

Last edited:

singledad

PF Addict
Oct 26, 2009
South Africa
MomoJA said:
I'm sure this is fairly normal, but it breaks my heart.

I've had quite a killer cold and the doctor prescribed something with hydrocodone in it. I took it until Sunday afternoon, and I hated it. I was irritible, antsy, generally out of sorts.

Since then, I've been feeling just off. I feel anxious and worried about something I can't put my finger on, and I've been having morbid fears of dying soon and leaving my baby alone. In other words, I've been in a funk.
Sounds like the standard side-effects of hydrocodone :( sorry to hear. It'll take a while to wear off, but if you don't feel better in a few more days, perhaps go talk to your doctor anyway. mom2many has a point...

MomoJA said:
This evening, just as I felt I was coming out of it, she seemed to fall into one. She faced some disappointment when her best friend didn't show up for "literacy" night at her school and the evening ended before she wanted it to. She cried nearly the whole trip home, about 35 minutes or so. It wasn't like her.

Could it be she picked up on my vibes? I felt like I hid my funk from her pretty well. Could my hormones have affected hers?
Kids are amazingly sensitive to our emotions... I don't think you can hide anything from them! I think its fairly likely that she picked up on your vibes. Good news is, when you feel better, she should pick up those vibes too. Until then, I don't really know how to snap her out of it. bssage's ideas sound good :)

I hope you feel better soon...

<SIZE size="75">PS: Hydro for a cold? Seriously? Whatever happened to paracetamol? And here I was, thinking it was only SA doctors who were going nuts with their prescriptions...</SIZE>

stjohnjulie

PF Addict
Aug 9, 2010
St. John, VI
Yes, yes, and yes to what singledad said. Hydrocodone for a cold is odd. And you can withdraw from it, and it is not fun. I was taking it for quite awhile some time back for TMJ and when I went off of it I was in a serious depression.

I wouldn't think it too unusual for your little one to pick up on your mood and start feeling the same way. It's pretty much human nature. Hopefully you will get out of your funk soon. I'm sorry you aren't feeling so good :( Hope you cheer up soon.

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
Yup, I'm gonna agree, with the others, if you don't pull out of your funk soon, talk to a dr (maybe a different dr...)about depression concerns. Is it possible while you were in your funk, that routine slipped around the house, maybe that's part of her issues. I know when my life is in disarray, I tend to let routine slip, and kids can react to that as well.

BTW, if anybody else didn't know what paracetamol was, it's "tylenol, here in the states.

DadofTeen

Jan 18, 2012
California
One day my niece (5 years old) came home from school in a "funk".

She was clingy with my sister, she'd cry like a baby without reason and she didn't want to be around anyone except for my sister.

I probed her a little, even though she was fighting it, and finally made her laugh by doing something dumb. I then got her to talk.

She advised that there was a girl at school who was "mean" all of the time and was excluding her from the "group".

When she thought of the rejection (my word for what she explained to me), it made her feel helpless.

She didn't know how to control the feelings that came from her thoughts of rejection. She just kept blaming the other girl for making her feel in a "funk"

So this is how we resolved the issue...

1. I explained to her (the best that I could) that she had a choice of feeling bad or not. She could either accept what she was thinking or she could reject it.
2. We role played...I acted like the mean girl (based on how my niece told me she acted) and my niece played herself. I would do or say something that was typical of the mean girl and I gave my niece a "have a nice day" script.
3. So we practiced and practiced until she felt better. Then she was prepared to deal with it. Every time anyone was mean to her (or at least if she perceived it) she would say something like..."Thank you for your attention, I'd rather not listen to right not. Have a nice day!" And then she'd walk away.

I monitored it, and it worked. She'd fumble every once in a while, but for the most part she'd triumph.

So the bottom line is...YES...children do pick up on a vibe (good or bad)...and there are vibes coming at them 24/7.

Your job is to teach your daughter that she has the ability to recognize the vibe, accept it or reject it, and then proceed accordingly.

I hope this makes sense.

Good luck.

DoT.