Incompetent Teachers – whos teaching your children ?...

Trina

PF Addict
Jun 10, 2007
CT
hwnorth said:
I agree ..its that way in every Country and every Profession... but the numbers are higher in the USA.. I think in researching this it would be found that the facts are largely correct.

<I>"... In most industrialized countries of Western Europe and Japan, high school students must pass one or more difficult, highly competitive examinations to be granted entrance to the university system. These exams are much more rigorous than anything American students must pass, and they determine at a quite young age whether a student has the intellectual skills necessary for college entrance. In the United States, on the other hand, many state-funded universities have open admissions policies, which basically means that if you have a high school diploma you can be admitted to the university."</I>

<I>" In the U.S., only about half of the students who enter four-year colleges earn a degree within six years."</I>

<I><SIZE size="100">"On the same weekend delegates to a state teachers convention were rhapsodizing about "high academic and performance standards," a Pittsburgh Post-Gazette article was noting a comment by Richard Mitchell, author of Underground Grammarian, and a former English teacher at a New Jersey teachers college. He recalled the final exam in an education course gave 52% of the grade for being able to "Draw all the letters of the alphabet, both upper and lower case."</SIZE></I>

<I><SIZE size="100">"The Washington Post cited another study which found at least one of every five public school teachers has neither a major nor a minor in the subject they are teaching, another NCLB requirement.. Another Shanker comment was that at least 25% of teachers are not qualified to be in the classroom." </SIZE></I>
These quotes totally baffle me. These statements have not been my experience at all.

Shari Nielsen

PF Enthusiast
Jan 21, 2008
CT
I would love to see what would happen if teachers were paid more - enough to make the standards to become a teacher very high/difficult, and to make the job market very competitive so only the best are hired. As of now, the low salary turns a lot of talented people off, leaving a lot of potential hirees out there that are less than qualified.

KushBreath

Apr 13, 2008
San Diego
I currently teach Algebra and Geometry at the high school level. I have been doing this for 8 years, and I still love it. The tough days - and the bad days. I can agree with most of the criticisms that people have put forth, but you need to show a little love back. As some have said, you will run into good and bad with any large profession, and if you've had a great teacher in your life - I would appreciate it if you would add that in your post. Some of you seem hellbent on pointing out the bad, yet haven't spoken up about some of the teachers that actually taught you. Yet, here you are typing away in near perfect English. Someone had to teach you that.

Shari Nielsen said:
I would love to see what would happen if teachers were paid more - enough to make the standards to become a teacher very high/difficult, and to make the job market very competitive so only the best are hired. As of now, the low salary turns a lot of talented people off, leaving a lot of potential hirees out there that are less than qualified.
I would love it, too, because then I'd be getting paid what I think I'm worth. Some folks take little to no interest in their child's education and treat me like a glorified baby-sitter. If I got paid per hour, per child I'd be driving to work in a Benz, not a Mazda.

Trina

PF Addict
Jun 10, 2007
CT
KushBreath said:
I can agree with most of the criticisms that people have put forth, but you need to show a little love back. As some have said, you will run into good and bad with any large profession, and if you've had a great teacher in your life - I would appreciate it if you would add that in your post. Some of you seem hellbent on pointing out the bad, yet haven't spoken up about some of the teachers that actually taught you. Yet, here you are typing away in near perfect English. Someone had to teach you that.

I agree!

hwnorth

PF Fanatic
Mar 13, 2008
Courtenay BC Canada
KushBreath said:
I can agree with most of the criticisms that people have put forth, but you need to show a little love back. As some have said, you will run into good and bad with any large profession, and if you've had a great teacher in your life - I would appreciate it if you would add that in your post. Some of you seem hellbent on pointing out the bad, yet haven't spoken up about some of the teachers that actually taught you. Yet, here you are typing away in near perfect English. Someone had to teach you that.
Im sorry that you find this offensive in some views, and anyone here is welcome to start a thread on the wonderful teachers they had, as Im sure we all have had... but the fact remains what it is.

Im finding a massive amount of resistance on this topic, and this is including of bad rep Ive gotten and pvt msgs. I would think, that since the facts all point to this in the good Ol US of A ... that people would take notice, investigate whats written and do what it took to fix... Instead... Im the asshole for pointing it out? Something about shooting the messenger ?? Truly Im not worried at whos upset that this was talked about, as the way I see it, if there is simply one parent, who takes notice, and helps make corrections... then thats one more child whos now going to get a better education.

Even myself, who lives in a different country, and all the stats Ive read put Canada a lot higher than the USA... I still looked further into our schooling system to ensure that my kids get the best they can.

Im glad there are good teachers out there ... but that doesnt take away from how many are out there that shouldnt be.

KushBreath

Apr 13, 2008
San Diego
I don't know why you're quoting me, I never said I disagreed with your criticisms. In fact, My very first sentence explains exactly where I'm coming from with the rest.

"Massive amount of resistance", somehow you're the asshole", "shoot the messenger"...that ain't me, bub.

You'll never get a pm from me, even if I think you're out of line - but just because you've got some kind of "rep" on this board, please don't think I'm gonna feed into that.

I like this topic, I don't mind this topic - I thought my position was well within the scope of the discussion.

Trina

PF Addict
Jun 10, 2007
CT
KushBreath, don't take it so personally. :)

hwnorth, if I were experiencing the things you have posted I most certainly would be doing something about it, however, as I stated earlier, I have not witnessed anything similar as a student, a college student majoring in Education, a teacher or as a parent. You make it seem as if the US of A is full of nothing but bumbling idiots due to poor teachers. Yes, we have our share of those, any country does;) , but my DH and I are both products of a US education, and we're smart, respectable, law abiding citizens who know how to spell and are financially comfortable. Most of my friends and family are in the same boat. Our children certainly aren't angels, but they're both doing well in school. In fact, my DS is advanced in most subjects. If all of our school systems are so lousy, according to your research, how do you explain that??

HappyMomma

PF Addict
Mar 7, 2008
Wylie, TX
We are only in preschool so we are just beginning, but my daughter's teacher is wonderful. In fact Dd has begun to read at age four (word recognition.) I was so surprised when she looked down at something and told me what it said.

hwnorth

PF Fanatic
Mar 13, 2008
Courtenay BC Canada
Kush - my first paragraph was directed at you ... please dont think the rest was directed ... it was an overview and not an attack .. and nothing was directed at your teaching skills. didnt mean to offend

Trina - Im sure there are lots of wonderful teachers and schools out there ... Im talking overall ... and thats according to many sources. My research never claimed all of the schools, but I think if everyone did their own comparisons of other countries it might even have an impact on elections.

My point was how much defensiveness there is... which is human nature ... as opposed to looking at it deeper ... just interesting is all

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
Get this. They are making teachers that have spent a bit over 20 teaching go into early retirement. I think that is so unfair. Jobs are horrible here. We do not even have one half of a newspaper with available jobs. What is it like in your town?

Trina

PF Addict
Jun 10, 2007
CT
It's hard to get a teaching job here. My state (CT) requires teachers to get their Masters degree within 10 yrs. after earning their BS or they can't get recertified. New teachers fresh out of college have a mentor teacher and are observed and evaluated often.

hwnorth

PF Fanatic
Mar 13, 2008
Courtenay BC Canada
musicmom said:
Get this. They are making teachers that have spent a bit over 20 teaching go into early retirement. I think that is so unfair. Jobs are horrible here. We do not even have one half of a newspaper with available jobs. What is it like in your town?
I TOTALLY disagree with forced retirement.
Actually one of my best teachers EVER was in grade 6..and I thought he was about 175 years old then ... AWSOME man and Ive never forgotten his lessons.

Where I live there is a shortage of labor, especially skilled labor. to the point where you can pretty much name how much money you get... its not uncommon to see an electrician get $40/hr. I just paid $35/hr cash (under the table) for a drywaller.

PennQuaker09

PF Fiend
Oct 8, 2007
Durham, NC
I suppose the No Child Left Behind legislation can be considered both a good and bad thing. It's great because one pretty much has to major in an academic subject to become a teacher (if elementary ed, they major in elementary ed).

I double majored in chemistry and mathematics. I would have to say I'm more passionate about chemistry, but I love math nonetheless. Of all of the people that majored in chemistry in my class at Tulane, I am probably the only one crazy enough to become a teacher. I say that because Tulane's program is more about preparation for graduate education in chemistry or something related. A chemistry major is very BRUTAL. One of my lab exams basically consisted of the professor handing use (my partner and I) a vile of something unknown and we had to provide the molecular structure, chemical analysis, and the composition in addition to drawing it - whatever it was. Like people cried that day. I digress.

Someone mentioned the PRAXIS exams earlier. Depending on the state one lives in, they have to take certain PRAXIS exams in order to teach a specific subject. I've taken so many that I have personally lost count. I have to best honest, becoming a teacher in the present is not cheap. In order to get certified to teach both math and science, I had to take multiple exams. This is in addition to background checks and finger printing.

Before, NCLB all of the testing was not required. Sure, I think having some idea of a teachers' content knowledge is great, but one thing a test doesn't measure is one's passion and dedication to the profession. My dad is totally against me becoming a teacher. That wasn't in his plan for me, lol. But I had to explain to him, that my high school chemistry teacher helped mold my passion for the subject and I want to be able to do the same.

I put a lot of money into my education, but one of the main problems with the majority of school systems is that people simply don't want to fund their schools. I think taxes are one of the keys to improving our schools. The other would be more uniform standards across the entire country. The current administration seems to think that testing kids to death is good for education, but it's not. That is the fundamental flaw of that stupid law.

This is what teachers have to deal with now. Not only do we have to be highly qualified but we have to teach them a bunch of things for some arbitrary test.

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
hwnorth said:
I TOTALLY disagree with forced retirement.
Actually one of my best teachers EVER was in grade 6..and I thought he was about 175 years old then ... AWSOME man and Ive never forgotten his lessons.

Where I live there is a shortage of labor, especially skilled labor. to the point where you can pretty much name how much money you get... its not uncommon to see an electrician get $40/hr. I just paid $35/hr cash (under the table) for a drywaller.
Same here. They want to hire high school or trade school kids to take over the jobs for half of what a skilled worker would get who has some 10 or more years experience. :(