Individualized Education For All...

diammoo67

Dec 20, 2008
Alabama
A typical scenario in any middle school or high school class is that you have a 3-6 students who are really smart, 6-10 students that are middle of the road, and 4-6 students who are struggling. The problem is that the curriculum is designed to teach the middle of the road students. The really smart kids are bored to death and the bottom 4-6 are becoming more and more frustrated...they aren't getting the help that they need.

Why the heck doesn't education get it. Each child learns at their own speed. Some can go really go fast and others take longer.

I think that the U.S. education system should do away with graded learning. If a kid is 9 years old why does that mean he should be in 4th grade. Maybe he is capable of 5th or 6th grade work or maybe not.

I know the infrastructure isn't suited to support this right now but I really do think some attention should be given to individualizing education. Just let kids progress through at their own speed.

Online courses could be used and/or teachers could focus their energy and efforts on developing learning modules to support the individualization movement. The requirements of NCLB can also be met because the learning modules are structured to satisfy that need.

What do you think?

Father_0f_7

PF Addict
Aug 19, 2008
F.I., Florida
Actually, at a lot of Florida high schools there is what is called Advanced Placement...They DO test each child and determine where that child should be placed.

The children that are above the standard go into Advanced Placement, the children that are at standard go into standard classes, and the ones that are below the standard go into intermediate classes.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Kids can skip a grade if they're that ahead in learning, and they can be held back if they're slower at learning. That's not a new thing. I skipped the second grade. My friend was put in a class called "Step One" that prepares you for kindergarten if you're not ready for it. They also have specific programs like advanced groups for kids that are "gifted" if they want to call it so. And of course, special education. Also, advanced classes. I remember in high school this is how the classes worked. You had three choices/routes:

(say for English in 10th grade)

English 10 Basic
English 10
Advanced English 10

So there was one for the slower learners, one for the faster learners, and one for the kids right in the middle. I've been to school in different states, they all did that. I don't think I understand what you're unhappy about, because all of that stuff already exists.

jayman

PF Enthusiast
Nov 8, 2008
I'm all for that - but, it sounds expensive (we'll need more teachers) and the possible age mingling might end up being a bit of problem - a 13 year old around a 10 year old might be problem. There's also the whole social stigma which is bad for the kid.

The bar being set at the mid-point/average is not too bad as long as we are able to spot and nurture the ones who excel beyond it and provide more guidance to who fall below it. Here in NYC, I think we do ok with kids that excel and are pretty lousy with everything else.

Sirk

Your Forum Mom
Apr 1, 2008
diammoo67 said:
I think that the U.S. education system should do away with graded learning.
I think parents should do away with the U.S. education system. :p

eliza52

Jul 25, 2009
Yes schools need to have individualized education for all students, not only those that have Individualized Education Plans or Personal Education Plans. And to be honest most of these IEP are not really that individualized at all.
Tutoring is springing up everywhere to help students that fall behind, and most of them have diagnostic testing that point to the areas of need. A program is then indiviudalized for him or her. In order to have individualized education for all it would be expensive and not probable, but parents need to take an active role in thier children's education. Education is changing but it is a slow process.
There are other options such as online education for middle school and high school now. You would have to google it to get the information.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Thank you 16th ave. This thread is from last year haha.

We appreciate your input, eliza52 and we're glad to have you. Please familiarize yourself with the forum rules and guidelines. :)

http://www.parentingforums.org/introductions/announcements.html[/URL]

Thank you!