Is fog or is it smoke? Be careful....

artmom

PF Fanatic
Feb 26, 2015
Canada
I just want to put out there a precautionary tale. Don't worry, nothing too bad happened but it could have been worse. But this is me and my daughter's personal experience with what we thought was normal fog.

Me and my daughter were walking down the street, on the way home after a bus ride. The stars were out and bright, no clouds, everything was clear. There is a vast clearing, a leisure field, that is across the road. There are a few houses blocking the view of the field for the first 1/3rd of the street and then the view is open to the rest of the field. Anyway, everything was clear until we came to the view of the field and we saw it was just all fog. It was pretty because the fog was sort of thick and eerie and the lights from the park street lamps glowed. The street we were walking along wasn't foggy, but just across the street it was. I thought that was strange, but interesting. We crossed to get closer but still staying on the sidewalk going along the street. When we did the fog started to spill onto the street and was getting thicker. My daughter, who was going to the Dr.'s the next day for an asthma test, started weezing and gasping. I didn't think the fog was smoke and I started wondering if mist would trigger asthma attacks. It had a weird smell to it. I chalked it up to possibly coming from the farming fields just yonder the area. We saw that the fog ended just before the end of the street, where there was a building. We looked back and my daughter pointed out that there was a plume of smoke a few blocks away just over in the direction we were coming from but further back away. That fog was coming from that plume so it was smoke. It was close enough that I could see the flames reflecting orange on the smoke.
My daughter was short of breath until a few minutes after we got inside. At least this smoke fog was only for half a block and it doesn't seem her asthma is that severe. But considering she is still going for tests and I just got her prescription today, that was close.