Is He to old?...

Terhune1508

Dec 27, 2007
Hi, I have a son who is 17 years old and he does not have the best grades in school. He is a very good child, very respectful alot of adults like him and his presence. Now he recently brought me a report card with 4 "F"s and 3 "D"s but this does not go on his transcript and will not lose credits for grades, each semster report card he passes all his classes and has only failed twice dueto personal reasons. When he brought me the grades I was not shocked because I am use to it. I was expecting at least 2-3 Fs 2 Ds and The rest C's and Bs he has 7 classes half honors and goes to one of the top schools in the city, but he also has ADHD and Dyslexia. I put him on punishment I took his T.V. and video games out of his room, it doesn't seemed like it worked, he seems to be rebellion against me, am i too late to be putting him, on punishment he is almost eight teen and has 4 months of school left? Please I need help!!Suggestions Needed

FooserX

PF Addict
Jul 11, 2007
Denver
I kinda agree with Fallon, but I don't know all the facts.

You say you are used to these kinds of grades, and therefore wasn't shocked...so yeah...sounds like you've let him establish his behavior.

4 months of school left...who cares. lol

Tell him he's out on his own at 18. That should shape him up. If not...well...then you raised an unmotivated kid and now he's no longer your responsibility.

jtee

Banned
Jun 24, 2007
What is is passion?
What things are easy for him to do? (aptitude\talent)

Kids with learning disabilities often have other talents. Don't dwell so much on what he can't do, focus more on what he can do.

It often is a delicate balance between pushing\helping a child to achieve and allowing a child to succeed\fail on their own.

Terhune1508

Dec 27, 2007
Yes he has got helped we got his tonsils removed in 6 grade because he had sleep apna . We put him on Concerta twice last time was his sophomore he went into depression and came to me about suidcial thoughts. I will never put him on the drugs again. Grades are not worth my son life.

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
I agree taht drugs are not for everyone.

Have you punished him before for bad grades? If you haven't then I agree with Fallon and Fooser that it is too late, not if you have punished in the past for it, then its not too late to punish him at all. even at 18, if he is still in school and still living with you then you are his parent!! My dad punished me up until I moved out at 19. Now I didn't have the same restriction I had in high school. ( I lived at home my first year of college) I worked, went to school, I did have a curfew, but it was 2 am. They just wanted to make sure I was home at some point, no cell phones then, lol

Trina

PF Addict
Jun 10, 2007
CT
Is he getting any services at school for dyslexia? It is a learning disability, and if left untreated without any help, no wonder his grades are poor! There are programs to help dyslexic students learn how to cope and succeed in school and life.

Teresa

PF Fiend
Feb 2, 2007
Ohio
If you have accepted such grades in the past, then I would say that now is probably too late to try to change things. As the mother of a child with ADHD, I hope that you have not been letting him use that as an excuse for his poor grades. My daughter will be 18 next month, and she has managed to pass all of her classes since she started taking her meds during her second year in third grade.

FooserX

PF Addict
Jul 11, 2007
Denver
Why does everyone seem to have a kid with ADHD or some other learing disability? I knew it was over diagnosed, but it seems like everyone posting has a kid with some excuse to why their grades are poor.

Maybe some people are just lazy.

Maybe some people just don't have a passion for things.

Teresa

PF Fiend
Feb 2, 2007
Ohio
FooserX said:
Why does everyone seem to have a kid with ADHD or some other learing disability? I knew it was over diagnosed, but it seems like everyone posting has a kid with some excuse to why their grades are poor.

My 17 year old daughter has ADHD...it is NOT an excuse for poor grades in our house. She is held to the same rules, standards and consequences as her other siblings, who do NOT have ADHD. She has learned that it is an obstacle to learning, but not an excuse or crutch.

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
the problem is that the parents use it as an excuse thus the child begins to use it as well. Not every time, obviously there are good parents out there like Teresa that don't let it be an excuse!

PennQuaker09

PF Fiend
Oct 8, 2007
Durham, NC
Teresa said:
My 17 year old daughter has ADHD...it is NOT an excuse for poor grades in our house. She is held to the same rules, standards and consequences as her other siblings, who do NOT have ADHD. She has learned that it is an obstacle to learning, but not an excuse or crutch.

Amen sister!

Kaytee said:
the problem is that the parents use it as an excuse thus the child begins to use it as well. Not every time, obviously there are good parents out there like Teresa that don't let it be an excuse!
That's the main problem.

Illumination

Jan 28, 2008
I'm not sure it matters if he is "too old." If he already feels awful about the grades, you should only have to show him your disappointment and he will probably try his very hardest to do better. But if he seems kind of "whatever" about it, then I suppose that what you did wasn't wrong. Just remember - if he already feels really terrible about his grades, that in itself should be punishment enough.

unmanaged

PF Enthusiast
Jan 26, 2008
I would say not be too hard on someone with ADHD as it IS an obstacle, though not an excuse. I would not want my child to spend all their time trying to overcome it instead of enjoying their childhood, but then again I do not have so much expirience with children with ADHD, so if I sound really silly, and wrong, please ignore me!

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
FooserX said:

NOt me or my child. We have adhd and are brilliant!!!!!!!

SuperMario

Banned
Aug 14, 2007
"He is a very good child, very respectful alot of adults like him and his presence."

You raised him well. Now just let him know that if he cannot step his grades up he will have a hard time getting a good job and career. Also let him know that he is not going to be able to live off you and will have to move out especially if he is not going to or failing out of college. Taking away things is more a punishment for younger kids imo.

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
twistertiger said:
Try positive reinforcement:swoon:. taking away things will just get them mad:arghh: at you. try telling them you will get them a video game or something and they will try harder.
the problem with that is your child will expect an expensive prize everytime they do something they are suppose to do. Rewards should be saved for something special they do. As children school is their job...when is the last time you boss bought you a car for filing paperwork?

Kim

PF Fiend
Apr 3, 2007
St. Louis, MO
With only 4 months of school left, I don't think there is a whole lot that can be done here other than just talking to him and explaining how good grades will be beneficial.