Is it easier with your own kids?...

claudia

Jul 3, 2008
I babysat some kids last night and when one was getting too clingy I felt a bit uncomfortable - I'm not very maternal.

What I would like to know is, would I be like this with my own kids or would it come naturally to be more affectionate?

Music-dad

PF Addict
Apr 22, 2008
Right here. Right now.
I was never a huggy/kissy kind of guy with others' kids...I have a nephew who, when he was young, was always hugging people. I couldn't stand it.

But, I hug and kiss my DD every single chance I get, and I really enjoy just cuddling with her on the couch watching a movie.

Nikita

PF Fanatic
Jun 10, 2008
London, ON
I used to babysit as a teenager and I did not have any affection for the children I took care of. Don't get me wrong, I kept them safe, played with them all that, but it was a routine, a job, not because I loved them.

I now have two children of my own and they are my world. I hate having to leave them. I shower them with love and hugs and kisses. I play with them because it's fun. It's very different with your own children. When you lay eyes on them for the first time, it's instantaneous and unconditional.

Trina

PF Addict
Jun 10, 2007
CT
TOTALLY different with your own kids!

Before kids I baby-sat often and was a teacher (PreK, K and Elem.). I was affectionate and nurturing, etc. but it's still a totally different ball game with your own kids.

Teresa

PF Fiend
Feb 2, 2007
Ohio
I think it's different with everyone. I'm very affectionate and loving with ALL children, and always have been.

Trina

PF Addict
Jun 10, 2007
CT
Teresa said:
I think it's different with everyone. I'm very affectionate and loving with ALL children, and always have been.

I totally agree with you Teresa, but the bond with my own kids is just a tad bit more special. :) I also have to say that even though I have always liked kids, once I became a mother myself, I love and appreciate them all the more.

Amber

PF Addict
Feb 8, 2008
Knoxville, TN
Ok, at the risk of sounding like a total wierdo and hateful person, I can't stand when other people's kids cling on me.

I love when mine do (most of the time, anyway, unless I'm busy) and I don't mind when my family's kids do. But I don't like strangers kids on me. Not even to sit on my lap. I'm not sure why, it just bothers me.

Music-dad

PF Addict
Apr 22, 2008
Right here. Right now.
Amber said:
Ok, at the risk of sounding like a total wierdo and hateful person, I can't stand when other people's kids cling on me.

I love when mine do (most of the time, anyway, unless I'm busy) and I don't mind when my family's kids do. But I don't like strangers kids on me. Not even to sit on my lap. I'm not sure why, it just bothers me.
Don't feel bad, I'm totally with ya on that one.

it's like "get it off me...get it off!!!".....flick.

Trina

PF Addict
Jun 10, 2007
CT
Amber said:

It's not for everyone. I used to teach in a preschool/daycare and had other people's kids clinging to me all the time. Not a problem, <I>except</I> for the little boy who kept grabbing my breasts. :err:

Teresa

PF Fiend
Feb 2, 2007
Ohio
Trina said:
I totally agree with you Teresa, but the bond with my own kids is just a tad bit more special. :) I also have to say that even though I have always liked kids, once I became a mother myself, I love and appreciate them all the more.
Yeah, that's true....I don't guess I ever really stopped to think about it, but I've been the same way. :)

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
Amber said:

yay I agree that does not mean anything as far as how loving you are towards your own children. I work in a church nursery so I am used to kids climbing on me that I don't know. Heck sometimes I have to hold them when all they want is to be with mom

gremlin

Banned
Jul 31, 2008
My gremlin keeps telling me for other people's kids to off my back. Maybe this is the reason why I don't like teaching in the lower grades LOL. I easily get nasty and am afraid I could just pinch them. Thanks to my gremlin who feeds me with those negative and sabotaging thoughts. I can't control him but blended-family.com website offers way of participating for the free call.