Is it really necessary?...

Helina

Aug 25, 2016
Canada
Hey there! It has always been a concern for me and I really want to ask in here. How many of you are really happy with your kids being active on net and other social medias? My son is 10 year old and he is constantly active on all social medias and recently one of his accounts got hacked too. I've been thinking of asking him to delete all accounts and cut out from all these stuffs, but my husband has been suggesting I don't do it. He instead suggested some tips on how I could secure all his accounts and passwords more better. https://www.campisilaw.ca/blog/password-safe-might-vulnerable-think/[/url] But, are these tips just enough to protect an account and all the private information there? Is it really that necessary for a 10 year old to be so active on net. Please advice.

artmom

PF Fanatic
Feb 26, 2015
Canada
I don't think any parent is comfortable. That's why there's so many tools for parents to track their kids and any activity they do online. 10, in my view, is way too young for their own social media. Who are they going to interact with that they can't talk on the phone or at school?
At the same time, taking it away seems like a punishment in the minds of kids and they will find away to get access behind your back.
Parents need to be vigilant and very open with their kids, and that type of parent/child relationship is best built up since they were very young.
If you're kids want to have a private conversation with their friends then they can do that face to face or over the phone. Make it clear that the internet is not a completely private space for anyone, so he needs to make sure he's mindful of what he puts out there.

cybele

PF Addict
Feb 27, 2012
Australia
I'm pretty happy about it. It's a part of life now, I'm satisfied with the way my munchkins have been educated on the topic.

Vdad

PF Enthusiast
May 28, 2016
It's really a generational thing, kids today are born onto an w]electronic world. Geez, I remember when we got our first color TV and the excitement I felt having my very own corded phone extension in my bedroom!

I think the issue is helping them learn and navigate the electronic world, rather than completely protecting them from it. Our understanding of the risks and our instincts to protect them from it need to be tempered with the simple reality that electronics play an ever increasing role in daily life. They need to learn skills.

I'm not sure what "Social media" you;re referring to, but whatever it is should be age appropriate and you also should monitor it openly..no snooping on you part....so you can help them learn those skills and be aware of the risks and the warning signs.

JGPS

Sep 8, 2016
My 10 year old does some Java basics and some HTML and my 8 year old installs his own OS without help (if you want a computer to play on {in the living room} you'd better learn how it works).

That said they don't use social media like twitter or face-book. Their web activity is usually gaming related, craft related, or learning related. (They've learned really cool stuff from origami to weaving thanks to youtubers)

All that said I'd be inclined to say wean them off social media if possible. It's a tool for communicating with people far away and a toy to discuss stuff with. There shouldn't be too much a kid can get out of it that he wouldn't get more of going out to play or even doing some kind of (far more controlled) online gaming with friends.

That said Vdad is right that it's best to openly monitor what they're doing and teach about any potential problems as they arise.