Is it right or wrong to ask my child's father's parents to take her when I need help?...

Barbi.doll

PF Regular
Apr 4, 2008
Greater Toronto Area, Ontario
Ok, I'm going to give as many details as possible to help with the big picture.

Her father and I were together only for 4 months, broke up prior to me finding out I was pregnant. He is a couple years younger than I (I'm now 28, I think he's 26). She's is now 4 1/2.

Him and I grew up going to the same school in a small town (population 2100, yes 2, 100 - one set of stoplights lol). It was when I was in my early 20's and him in his late teens that are social groups started to blend in, which is how we ended up together - and only together for a short time because really we were both on the rebound after getting out of long relationships.
His mother and my mother had been friends, not really close, but close enough to be more than just aquaintences.
I chose to move 2 hours away when I was pregnant to be closer to the side of my family that was better able to be supportive of me raising a child on my own.
Since she turned 1 year old, he's been taking her every other weekend. When his visits with her first started he was living at home with his parents. Then, after about a year, he started seeing this girl Lisa and moved in with her. It was a good thing, as he was able to begin bonding with his daughter on his own. He was able to begin actual parenting skills where while living with his parents, the "grandparent" thing kinda got in the way.
Him and I and Lisa get along very well. I come from a split family, I know no different and there were never any "issues" or conflicts with my parents and step parents, so I influence positivity with this whole situation. I understand how to keep as much peace as possible.
I've become close to his parents since our daughter's birth. His parents have always been willing to help out in any way they can.

In December, Lisa and him gave birth to their first child as well. Now, as important as all the grandchildren are to his parents, my daughter is the only girl out of 7 kids. So, she a bit special to them.

Now that him and Lisa have their own "family" and are now engaged, things have changed a lot as to how much time my daughter spends with her grandparents. So, they have said over and over again "if you ever want us to take her or every need our help....please just give us a call". When her father is unable to pick her up on his weekends, his father jumps at the idea of coming to get her. They love her so much, and she loves them with all her heart. She is safe and happy there, and in a place where I don't worry about her.

Now, we've never been to court for anything and there's no court orders in place. We do things our way and always try to keep her best interest at the centre of everything.

Last weekend was my weekend with her. I was going to a jack and jill out there (where I used to live, where her father and his parents live) and I needed someone to take my child in order to go. So, knowing that her grandparents don't get to see her as often as they used to, I called them and of course they said yes to take her while I went out. No problems.

But her father picked her up today and presented me with his frustrations of this situation. He claims that it's not my place, and that I have no right. That I should be asking him for permission. He says that I'm causing problems with him and his family.

My opinion is that I wouldn't call anyone outside of her family before I exhausted all options inside her family first if and when I need a "sitter". I don't think I need to ask his permission with anything to be honest. He's a good dad and all, but it's not like he calls every day to know what's going on in her life. He's a daddy at his convenience. He makes no attempt to have say at any other time. And, if anything, I would think that if you're looking to be part of decisions, you would want to know when I'm sending her somewhere that IS NOT family.

I think he just feels as though he's left out of the loop and because his track record is to be a control freak (and according to his family, Lisa is a HUGE control freak on him), I think this whole situation is about him more than anyone or anything else.

There would be no problems with his family and him if he didn't see this situation as a negative thing. He's the only one upset, not I or the grandparents or my daughter - we're all happy, and she was safe and she and they got time together that they don't get when she's with her dad because her dad is spending time with her and won't send her to Nana & Papa's place overnight.

So, all in all, do you people think I have the right to call her grandparents without having to go to him first?
My past experiences with letting him in on this stuff is that he is in opposition out of spite - which is not taking her best interest into consideration, and that's the most important thing.

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
I think it's up to his parents...not him...if it's OK for you to call when you need a sitter. If you have their blessing to call them when you need to then go for it

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
wow, I'm glad until this everything ahs been working out with your ex and his new fiance.
I personally don't think it is his concern whether or not his parents watch her whenever they so choose. If he has issues with it then maybe he should be talking to his parents

meow_173

PF Addict
Jan 3, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
"if you ever want us to take her or every need our help....please just give us a call".

That there gives you every right to call them up. Its not up to him any more because really you're not with him and he doesn't have to make the decisions. The only tie really is the grandparents, and if they say call whenever, then you just go ahead and call!

HappyMomma

PF Addict
Mar 7, 2008
Wylie, TX
I agree with the others.

I would also recommend getting a court order to make sure everything is outlined if anything were to change in the future, you and your daughter would be protected.

May I ask if he provides financial support for his child?

FooserX

PF Addict
Jul 11, 2007
Denver
I also agree that there shouldn't be a problem with you asking his parents...BUT...I can also see his side.

Even though he's probably focusing more on his family...that daughter is still his, and he's going to be attached to her and want to have a say in her well being. It may not be fair since he's not really a full time dad to her, but this is just his way of thinking...

Why not just call him in the future and tell him that you're going to let the grandparents watch him? Would that hurt anyone?

PS - what is a jack and jill?

Barbi.doll

PF Regular
Apr 4, 2008
HappyMomma said:
I agree with the others.

I would also recommend getting a court order to make sure everything is outlined if anything were to change in the future, you and your daughter would be protected.

May I ask if he provides financial support for his child?

Yes, however, it's not much, 200 per month which works out to about 6.57/day. I don't make it an issue at this point, I know I could get more if I were to go through the courts, but then I see it as more than many others get from their children's fathers.

HappyMomma

PF Addict
Mar 7, 2008
Wylie, TX
Barbi.doll said:
Yes, however, it's not much, 200 per month which works out to about 6.57/day. I don't make it an issue at this point, I know I could get more if I were to go through the courts, but then I see it as more than many others get from their children's fathers.
Mainly, I was just curious. I think it's good that he is making an effort to provide some support.

Barbi.doll

PF Regular
Apr 4, 2008
FooserX said:
I also agree that there shouldn't be a problem with you asking his parents...BUT...I can also see his side.

Even though he's probably focusing more on his family...that daughter is still his, and he's going to be attached to her and want to have a say in her well being. It may not be fair since he's not really a full time dad to her, but this is just his way of thinking...

Why not just call him in the future and tell him that you're going to let the grandparents watch him? Would that hurt anyone?

PS - what is a jack and jill?

LOL - jack & jill/buck and doe/ stag/stagette - a sort of fundraising party for two people who are getting married - it's my cousin who is getting married.

I agree with you to a certain point as well in regards to calling him to inform him, and I said that to him today "I'll call you to let you know, but I will not call you to ask your permission as I'm not opening a door for you to oppose. Those are her grandparents and they love each other, she's safe there and happy, and I feel secure knowing she's there opposed to her being with someone outside her family. I will not ask your permission, though I will listen if you are in opposition, but that doesn't mean I'll cater to it."

And I agree that if he were actively involved with the rest of the decisions being made, though he chooses not to be and I would allow him if he wanted to, then maybe his permission request might be granted. But, when it came in the past to simple things like attending her first preschool concert, seeing her at her skating lessons, taking her for a week over summer holidays - he wanted no part of any of that, he wanted no part of participating in buying her winter snowsuit, or helping fund daycare, extra curricular activities or making decisions about any of it...so, where does his head get to think that he should have some say as to whether I can send her to her grandparents? I don't really get it.

If he wants more involvement I'll let him, but HE CHOOSES not to.

He says "that's my family", so my hunch is this is A) a control thing, a power trip and B) he feels a loss of alliance with his family to me C) his fiance may also have something to do with this as she supports the idea with him that his parents make decisions without informing the family - meaning there's a problem with the family not liking the idea that his parents make decisions without them letting all their kids (all grown & married or engaged) know.

ljmahr

PF Fiend
Oct 16, 2007
I think you did the right thing by telling him you will let him know she will be with his parents. I do want to say though, I think you should get some sort of court order just to protect yourself. Who's to say he will not get mad one day and just take off with your daughter? He could do that you know.

Barbi.doll

PF Regular
Apr 4, 2008
ljmahr said:
I think you did the right thing by telling him you will let him know she will be with his parents. I do want to say though, I think you should get some sort of court order just to protect yourself. Who's to say he will not get mad one day and just take off with your daughter? He could do that you know.
Well, in theory, he could. However, according to an aquaintance of mine who lives out near him, she ran into him one day while he was loading our daughter into the car to bring her home. This aquaintance said to him "what would happen if you just didn't bring her home"....his reply was "oh F--K I'd have the cops at my door real fast".....so, he thinks otherwise and I'll leave him thinking just that.

I did not register him on the birth certificate as her father and in this province I do not have to acknowledge him legally as her father. Where he would need my permission to take her out of the province, I've given myself full legal authority over her as she has my last name and only me on her legal documents as a listed parent.

So, for now, a court order is not really necessary. Plus, if he were to do that, he knows that the ramifications thereafter would only be negative on the whole situation. So, as much as he's not all too bright, he's not dumb enough to ignore the consequences of that kind of thing.:notworthy:

ljmahr

PF Fiend
Oct 16, 2007
So if he tried to keep her it would look as though he had kidnapped her. With everything that you have said, if you do not want to call him to let him know that the grandparents will be watching her than don't. If it isn't that big of deal to tell him that she will be there than call and tell him.

Ari2

PF Fiend
Jan 7, 2008
I agree with Fooser. If the two of you were married, you probably would let him set the tone for interactions with his family, so I can understand why he wants to do so now. It is his family, and you haven't mentioned (I think) the state of his relationship with his parents. Perhaps there something there that makes him insecure about you going directly to them and their taking care of his child.

Can you tell him that his parents have said that it was ok and so he needs to work it out with his parents? I would stress that you are simply following his parents' suggestion, and he needs to talk with them. Ideally, they will get him to relax about it. Secondly, I would ask - in a nice way, of course - for other suggestions for reliable, loving, free childcare when you need to be away. If he has no ideas, perhaps raise the idea of splitting the cost of babysitters. This may make him aware that his parents are your best option.