Is there anything I can do?...

gr8mom

PF Fanatic
Mar 1, 2008
Texas
Hello all:

My sister ran away from home yesterday and was gone all day. When it started getting dark she came here we were out shopping when she showed up and apparently she had been here for a half hour and wouldn't let my granny tell my parents where she was. Well my dad guessed and sent the cops over to get her and she's back home now but I'm pretty sure she's still not happy. I'm scared that she may try to run away again and not come here because she knows they'd find her here. Is there anything I can do? My dad and I aren't very close and pretty sure he wouldn't let me talk to her if I tried to call, or he'd listen in and then she wouldn't talk.

Good Wolf

PF Addict
Mar 11, 2008
TX
Is she being abused or just rebelling against your father?

If she is being abused the simple solution would be to call the police and report it. They can arrange for her to stay with you and because he is a family member you could get a legal aid service to help you with a restraining order.

If she is simply rebelling I would recommend talking to her and seeing what her intentions are.

How old is she?

Good Wolf

PF Addict
Mar 11, 2008
TX
musicmom said:
Personally, I'd stay out of it and let her parents handle it.
It is her sister. If she is crying out for help then someone needs to answer that cry. I'd do anything for my brother if he was in trouble. I couldn't just stand back and let something awful happen. The thought of a run away girl puts a knot in my stomach. Everyone has heard the stories and I'd be damned if I would let my sibling but the subject of one of those stories.

gr8mom

PF Fanatic
Mar 1, 2008
Texas
She's thirteen years old and I'm not sure if she's being physically abused but I know my dad uses verbal abuse. He told her if she didn't repent that it would have been better if she'd never been born.

HappyMomma

PF Addict
Mar 7, 2008
Wylie, TX
gr8mom said:
She's thirteen years old and I'm not sure if she's being physically abused but I know my dad uses verbal abuse. He told her if she didn't repent that it would have been better if she'd never been born.
Wow, that puts a much better perspective on the situation.

Would she consider talking to her school counselor? Perhaps they have some ideas to get her to a better environment?

Good Wolf

PF Addict
Mar 11, 2008
TX
I couldn't find anything specific to your situation but I'm sure if you call this number they will be able to direct you to someone who can help. If nothing else they will be able to tell you what your options are.

Although mental abuse can be worse than physical abuse you typically won't have the law on your side. Even the CPS will typically ignore mental abuse.

I highly recommend you call them to see if what you can do if anything.

I'm not sure what location would be closest to you.

<U>The National Suicide Prevention Directory - Part 2</U>

gr8mom

PF Fanatic
Mar 1, 2008
Texas
I'm afraid it wouldn't do to talk to her school counselor since she's homeschooled I guess that would be my dad.

Good Wolf

PF Addict
Mar 11, 2008
TX
Well, I'll say it again. I HIGHLY recommend you call someone that knows more than we do to see what your options are.

At the very least talk to your sister, and site some examples of what happens to 13 year old girls that run away. She might have it bad where she is at but I can think of a lot worse scenerios she could find herself in.

Good luck.

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
I don't get the "repent" part? Is your dad some holy rollar? Your father sounds like he needs counseling. Where is your mother in all of this if I can ask?
Is your sister mouthy?

gr8mom

PF Fanatic
Mar 1, 2008
Texas
My Dad is a minister and my mother is pretty much afraid of my father so much so that she called to ask me if I'd call the police because Dad hadn't when my sister went missing. I think she's probably a little mouthy. She originally got upset when my dad wouldn't let her see her friend because it was Easter and he doesn't celebrate it (thinks it's pagan) but I think it was the remark Dad made that pushed her to want to run away.

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
Easter is pagan? Christ rose from the dead. I already don't get your father. Oh boy!
Well...you grew up with the same father and you seem like a good mom, hopefully she'll come out the same way. Just do what you can.

Skyburning

PF Fiend
Oct 6, 2007
Mississippi
easter and christmas were both originally pagan holidays MM. When emperor constantine was trying to convert his pagan country to christianity they adapted the holidays to suit both religions.

gr8mom

PF Fanatic
Mar 1, 2008
Texas
To clarify: It isn't our Savior rising from the dead that he considers pagan. He believes this happened sometime around the Jewish feast of Unleavened Bread. The thing he considers pagan about easter is the rabbit and eggs part, he says they are fertility symbols and it's about worshiping the god of fertility. Also I'm one of four children who've already left home. My older sister has bi-polar disorder, she married a man she didn't love to get out of Dad's house and has since been divorced and remarried. My younger brother left at the age of 17 to live with my uncle and aunt because he could no longer live in the same house and my Dad. I left home at 19 because my father would not allow me to date the man of my choice. My younger sister is probably the only one who left with his blessing and even they no longer get along.

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
I am so sorry you're going through all of this. Just make sure your sister knows you are there for her. I hope everything turns out ok

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
gr8mom said:
To clarify: It isn't our Savior rising from the dead that he considers pagan. He believes this happened sometime around the Jewish feast of Unleavened Bread. The thing he considers pagan about easter is the rabbit and eggs part, he says they are fertility symbols and it's about worshiping the god of fertility. Also I'm one of four children who've already left home. My older sister has bi-polar disorder, she married a man she didn't love to get out of Dad's house and has since been divorced and remarried. My younger brother left at the age of 17 to live with my uncle and aunt because he could no longer live in the same house and my Dad. I left home at 19 because my father would not allow me to date the man of my choice. My younger sister is probably the only one who left with his blessing and even they no longer get along.
I'm so sorry you are going through this. It sounds like a rough household. Pagan or no pagan why can't he just care? If he is religious he needs to learn what Jesus taught and that's not to hate but love.
As long as I can remember it's always been believed we worship because he had risen. That's my belief and I'm sticking to it ;)

gr8mom

PF Fanatic
Mar 1, 2008
Texas
It is pretty rough my dad is very strict and none of us ever even got to have a sleepover at another kids house. He never got to know our friends he always just called them the neighbor children like they didn't even have names. My husband says it's cause he doesn't know how to deal with children once their old enough to think for themselves.