Is there anything I can do?...

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
well, he's honest. If he wasn't such a poor dad, you wouldn't have been such a good mom. :)

Skyburning

PF Fiend
Oct 6, 2007
Mississippi
lol, your welcome MM. even though I didn't find that for you ;) I just thought i'd shed some light on the holiday as I had someone tell me Sunday that I should be MADE to work since I'm not a Christian, so they could have the day off to celebrate THEIR holiday.

Teresa

PF Fiend
Feb 2, 2007
Ohio
gr8mom said:
She's thirteen years old and I'm not sure if she's being physically abused but I know my dad uses verbal abuse. He told her if she didn't repent that it would have been better if she'd never been born.
I would call Childrens Services, and tell them as much as you know about the situation. Then they will talk to your sister, away from your father, and get her side of the story. They will also talk to your father, and get HIS side. If he feels that way about her, is it possible that he would let her come and live with you? Could you deal with that?

gr8mom

PF Fanatic
Mar 1, 2008
Texas
I would love to have her come live with us but I doubt my Dad would ever agree to it. Especially if I called CPS on him, CPS has investigated our family several times and nothing has come of it. I'd just be stirring up a tempest if I called them, I'm sure.

Amber

PF Addict
Feb 8, 2008
Knoxville, TN
I doubt CPS will do anything because he's extremely overprotective.

As for your father, he sounds like he needs to learn that the whole "hellfire and damnation" trick doesn't work on everyone. You can't smack people in the face with the Bible and expect them to line up with the Word. It just don't happen like that. And one would think that he'd have a bit more compassion with his own daughter.

Personally, I would be there for your sister as a shoulder, if nothing else. It's obvious your dad is set in his ways, so the chances of him realizing what's going on is slim. I'd just be there in case your sister needed you.

Barbi.doll

PF Regular
Apr 4, 2008
Greater Toronto Area, Ontario
WOW! I can semi relate to your father, GR8MOM, my dad too was a bit of a control freak when I was little. Then as he "matured", lol, he ended up having some serious heart attacks, became a born again Christian and went full throttle bible thumping (I say that with no disprect to Him above, just the least amount of words to thoroughly get my point across to you all). And though there were times the control freak father side him came out, and he was really into preaching the Word, he was also very responsible with his faith. He didn't go all crazy with it.

The best fight against your father's position of "power" and authority and manipulative ways would be to "fight him with his own sword".

So, you wanna take in your sister - well she's got what, 3 years still she can leave without his permission - from now until that point if your father doesn't allow it, and then at that point she can go on her own - tell your father he best go pray about it - about EVERYTHING - he must pray and wait for the Lord to answer about EVERYTHING - and you remind him of that. Your father was not given powers over and above anyone else on this earth and he is to seek out Father, Christ and the Holy Spirit. Don't let his religious intelligence intimidate you or your sister.
People who gain energy from being in control of others are only looking to take that energy as they have exhausted all their own. When you remove all your father hides behind - his ability to intimidate, his religion, his social status, his community reputation etc. etc. - he's a man with much hurt and misunderstanding and he too needs someone to understand him - so, love him, but don't succumb to his bs!