is there such a thing as too much attention/attachement?...

beaniebaby11

Jan 8, 2011
Canada
My situation is a little bit different than many of you, I am guessing.

My step-daughter will be 3 years old this month. Her dad has had her in his care since she was 5 months old; I moved in when she was 16 months old. She has no contact with her bio-mother (this is by the mother's choice).

My husband learned his parenting methods from his mother, who did not have any parenting methods. They use excuses (oh, she is only been in the world for 1 year... 2 years.. ect). No one was there to stimulate her, teach her anything, and raise her properly. The only interaction she had was with adults, she slept in her dad's bed until I moved in (because she'd wake up at night and grandma would put her in dad's bed), she was allowed to eat whatever she wanted wherever she wanted and off of everyone's plates.... She ate things like chocolate drizzle crispy minis for snacks, as well as marshmellows and chocolate chips. Everytime she woke during the night, her grandma would give her a full 8-oz bottle of milk; some nights she'd have 3 of them and her diapers would be sopping wet in the morning.

I became step-daughter's primary caregiver when she was 20 months old. At 2 years old, I took her to the dentist and they found 4 cavities. I took all her bottles away from her (at this point, she had one during nap and one at bedtime). I started taking her to playgroups and introducing her to children. Set her up with a proper bedtime in her own crib. Started feeding her nutritious snacks (cheese, crackers, milk, fruit, ect). Stopped feeding her juice (grandma would give her a few cups a day) and gave her water instead.
I thought that all this was a good thing, but it has just turned life in to a big battle. The child is healthy... But my relatioship is not.

My husband wants to continue to baby his daughter. She is capable of doing so much, but she acts like a baby when her dad is home (evenings and weekends). She is assessed at being about 26 months old when she is really 35 months old, and her language skills are behind about 9-12 months.
His philosophy and in his own words is, "if she doesn't want to do it, then she doesn't have to"...... in regards to cleaning up toys, eating her dinner, going to the potty...... ect
I potty trained her in 2 days. And this was a child who did not show any signs of being ready to train. She has been trained now for nearly a month and goes pee/poop all by herself, of coarse with a little bit of help wiping her bum. But she knows how to put her potty seat on the top of the toilet and her stool over to the toilet so that she can get up, and then I help her wash her hands afterwards.
But when her dad is home, he has to help her do EVERYTHING.

I'm getting really frustrated because we are expecting a baby in April. I've been trying to build some independence in my step-daughter since last January, and especially moreso since we conceived the baby. But still, when DH is home, step-daughter does not play on her own, does not do anything but want to cuddle and pester everyone. You can't ask her to go and play with her toys, because every 20 seconds afterwards she is over to you repeating the same two words and this will continue for as long as it takes for her to get what she wants.

beaniebaby11

Jan 8, 2011
Canada
Step-daughter lives with us full-time, she is 3 years old; she has never met her mother.

From the time that her dad walks in the door to the time she goes to bed, she demands attention at all times. She can't do anything for herself and needs help with everything. She can't even eat her food properly when dad is home. She sits in her booster chair and every 10 seconds looks at her dad and says, "daddy done?", "dinner good daddy"... repeating herself over and over and over. She can see that everyone has food on their plates or are even putting food in to their mouths, but its the costant attention that she demands.
She doesn't play on her own when dad is home, she has to be on him or repeating herself to him every 15-20 seconds, ect....
She doesn't try for any independence at all, she needs dad to put her coat on her every 30 minutes, she needs him to re-dress her dollies everytime she undresses them.

The weekends are exactly the same..... but from 8am-7pm; she does not engage in any play when her dad is awake but demands constant attention at all times.

Do you think this is normal behavior?

beaniebaby11

Jan 8, 2011
Canada
step-daughter demands her dad's attention from the time he walks in the door after work until the time she goes to bed, and from 8am-7pm on weekends.

If dad is awake and home, step-daughter requires his attention at all times. She acts like a baby, has no independence, and can not play on her own for any period of time.

step-daughter is 3 years old, assessed at 26 months developmentally, and has language skills 9-12 months behind.....

we are expecting a new baby in April and I am freaking out here.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Its hard to say I guess... especially with a child that has special needs. Its hard to do anything about the way her mentality works, and its really not her fault you know? :/ Children cannot be blamed for the way they have been raised, or the way their brain develops.

The best thing I can think of is to always try to encourage her to play independently, if she is demanding too much attention then try to distract her with a toy or an activity. Maybe start off by playing with her, and then leave her alone after a bit once she is interested in it. Just try to keep her busy, and maybe she wont obsess so much over daddy. :)

Either way, it will probably be one of those things that will come with time. As she gets older, and when the new baby comes, she will learn on her own that the attention can't be on her 100% of the time. You two will have to spend a lot of time caring for your new baby, but I'm sure there will still be plenty of attention for her. :) She will adapt, I would bet.

By the way, I merged your other threads about her with this one because they are basically about the same thing. Hope you don't mind!

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Also, try to remember that at 3 years old, children are still babies in a way. They still want to be close to their parents, they still want attention and they need a lot of help doing things. That's not abnormal, and nothing to have any resentment towards. Your new baby will not be neglected or unloved by your husband, and I think you're putting too much thought into it. The way you describe your husband "babying" his daughter doesn't sound abnormal to me at all. My son (3) still likes to sleep in my bed with me sometimes, he has had a couple cavities (as have many kids his age, it is more hereditary than anything, he has very deep crevices in his teeth rather than flat, therefor he is more prone to cavities). Other than drinking out of bottles all day/night, cavities actually have almost nothing to do with what you eat. You can eat candy and drink pop all day long and as long as you brush your teeth as much as you are supposed to you will not get any extra cavities. If you eat celery and crackers and cheese all day long and you don't brush your teeth the amount you are supposed to, you will get cavities. Some healthy foods can be more likely to cause cavities than some unhealthy food, also. Its all about keeping your teeth clean.

My son always argues about cleaning up his toys (let me know when you find a 3 year old that never does please!), he doesn't always eat the food I put in front of him, and sometimes he holds it too long when he has to go potty lol. Sometimes he likes to have a drink in the middle of the night (sometimes I wake up thirsty too, why would my 3 year old be any less human?), and sometimes he repeats himself obnoxiously trying to get what he wants! :p Given, he is pretty advanced in speech skills and has been potty trained for a while and does everything in that aspect on his own, and he is excellent at playing independently among many other things, but still. You can't expect the world out of a 2/3 year old, and there's no reason to go crazy with trying to make them grow up as fast as possible. No need for all the rush and the impatience, all kids will learn these things in their own time. I understand your worries though, and I just want to reassure you. Imagine how many people in the world have kids that are 10 or 18 months apart! You can't force a one year old to be independent and without needs. People do it all the time, and it works out just fine.

The best thing you can do for her is to continue to teach her how to do things, stay consistant, and lead by example. She will learn everything she needs to know in her own time, just like every kid, assuming any special needs she might have do not hold her back. She might need to be a little more dependent than other kids for a little longer. Every kid is different. I think parents have an amazing way of making time and energy to give all of their kids the things/attention they need no matter how many kids they have. I'm sure it will work out, she is doing good with improvements like you have said so far, and I'm sure she has lots of potential! She will learn even more about her boundaries when the new baby arrives. :) Don't stress too much.

xox.ilu.xox

PF Addict
Dec 17, 2009
Kamloops, British Columbia, Canada
what xero said! Kids are different, and if she has been assessed having the mentality of a 26 month old, it's hard to expect her to totally independent, ya know? I wouldn't worry too much. And way to go to get her potty trained in 2 days! how did you do it.? My daughter is almost 3, and wants no part in the potty, I think shes just being difficult to push mommys buttons haha. Good luck with your SD:)

rrudnick

Banned
Feb 6, 2011
beaniebaby11 said:
Step-daughter lives with us full-time, she is 3 years old; she has never met her mother.

From the time that her dad walks in the door to the time she goes to bed, she demands attention at all times. She can't do anything for herself and needs help with everything. She can't even eat her food properly when dad is home. She sits in her booster chair and every 10 seconds looks at her dad and says, "daddy done?", "dinner good daddy"... repeating herself over and over and over. She can see that everyone has food on their plates or are even putting food in to their mouths, but its the costant attention that she demands.
She doesn't play on her own when dad is home, she has to be on him or repeating herself to him every 15-20 seconds, ect....
She doesn't try for any independence at all, she needs dad to put her coat on her every 30 minutes, she needs him to re-dress her dollies everytime she undresses them.

The weekends are exactly the same..... but from 8am-7pm; she does not engage in any play when her dad is awake but demands constant attention at all times.

Do you think this is normal behavior?
Does she engage in play when her dad isn't present?

It's common for children that age to want to play with an adult figure almost constantly and it isn't necessarily a sign of anything other than a strong attachment, and maybe that they miss the parent when they aren't home. Does her father work often?

Even though it's not out of the ordinary, I'd still try to encourage independence as much as possible. Maybe setting up a specific "daddy time" when dad is available for her and isn't distracted by anything else could be helpful.

Andriamomof3

Mar 16, 2011
Maybe dad just feels guilty for her bio mother choosing to not be a part of he life even thouh I'm sure your doing a great job. One parent usually "coddles" a child more than the other even if it goes unreconized. Just keep up the good work with her and hopefully dad will learn to help you help her. Maybe take him to the doctors office with you so he can hear the doctors reccomendations for her? Good luck!

jeff.scott46

Mar 17, 2011
I'm going through a similar issue with my girlfriend and her two and a half year old son. We both have custody of our own two and a half year old boys from different relationships. Her son does not ever want to do anything with anybody other than his mom. He won't play with my son, in fact he cries when my son even gets close to him. My son loves to read and when I ask if her son would like to read also he'll say no and run back to his mom. This isn't a every now and then type behavior either, it's every time.

I am interested in what other parents say. I have limited experience with children outside of my own so I compare the two boys a lot. My son loves to interact with different people, especially once he warms up to them whereas her son wants nothing to do with anyone but her. It is very frustrating but my recommendation is to be patient and remember that it's not necessarily the child's fault.

emergencydentis

PF Regular
Jan 8, 2011
USA
I think it depends on how you look at it. I had a bestfriend in grade school who I can share everything with--trust me, EVERYTHING. We're not that close in our classroom. I mean we go out with our gang during recess and we are partners for SOME projects until one day when I came across a long lost close friend of mine, one who was out of the country with her parents and now came back because they missed their hometown. I started to spend more time with her than my bestfriend and I didn't even notice it. We became too attached to each other that when she again left the next year to study outside the country I wept, a lot! and I was so used to being attended too that I never considered anyone a friend when she left. I even forgot about my bestfriend. I mean she's still there for me, she changed a little bit but still sees me as her bestfriend. I, on the other hand, felt like I lost 90% of me when that close friend left.
I am over it now anyway. Just wanted to share it and get it out of my system.

teenage_parent

PF Enthusiast
Apr 15, 2011
yes there is such a thing but you can still do something about it while she's young. if you don't, you can be sure she'll be a brat when she grows up or worse than a brat

robertg7

May 31, 2011
It sounds like the opposite situation from your subject line: this girl has been getting too little of the right kind of attention. You look to be on track with the rules and systems you've instituted. If you can get some support from the rest of the family the girl should do well with your parentling.

kara

PF Regular
May 31, 2011
I think there IS such a thing as too much attention, but I don't think that's the real problem here. The issue, IMO, is that her dad isn't on the same page in regard to parenting styles. I think that the two of you should have a sit down and discuss that and make a plan!

JBKB3

PF Regular
Jun 1, 2011
Edmond, Ok
kara said:
I think there IS such a thing as too much attention, but I don't think that's the real problem here. The issue, IMO, is that her dad isn't on the same page in regard to parenting styles. I think that the two of you should have a sit down and discuss that and make a plan!
I absolutely agree. You have to be on the same page. Your step-daughter has already figured out that you aren't and is playing that to her advantage. She follows your rules during the day but when daddy comes home it's her rules because she knows he will let her and that you can't stop her.

Yes she is still a young kiddo, believe me I know.. I have a 3 yr old in bed next to me right now. You are on the right track but don't expect her to be perfect either. My daughter is very strong willed.... she is completely potty trained in public, but at home she still has accidents on purpose because she didn't want to. She brushes her teeth every night and goes to sleep in her own room on her own most nights.... but still ends up in our room almost every night. We will work on getting her to stay in her own bed all night. First she will be moved to a pallet on the floor and then taken back to her own room. We have a baby on the way so we will be up constantly at night anyways. What I am trying to say is, it is ok to let her be a baby on some things, but not EVERYTHING.

You really need to sit down with your husband and discuss what is going on and how you feel and what you expect, especially before the new baby comes. Not to be blunt, but to me it sounds like your husband doesn't want to deal with it.... it is easier to let her have what she wants than to fight her on it. Unfortunately that his how a lot of good kids become spoiled brats...

JB

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
I hate to be the one to point this out, but the OP posted this question in January lol and also hasn't been active since January. :/

JBKB3

PF Regular
Jun 1, 2011
Edmond, Ok
Xero said:
I hate to be the one to point this out, but the OP posted this question in January lol and also hasn't been active since January. :/
Yes but perhaps the responses will help someone else who may be having the same problem....