Is this my fault?...

melynie

Feb 17, 2008
A few days ago at work I was reprimanded for allegedly being rude to a customer over the phone.
The customer, a mother of young children was signing up for an account with us which involved me recording all the names of her family members.
She spelt out the names of her children to me:

Aymee, Rebeka, Kylee

I was confused because the names were pronounced exactly as:

Amy, Rebecca, Kylie

I politely told the lady that she had mispelt the names.
She then went off her brain at me.

I don't understand why a mother would deliberately mispell her kid's names. She must have been poorly educated and can't spell correctly - or is it that she's trying to be different - just like everybody else!

I don't see why I had to get in trouble for the customer not being able to spell.

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
Well I agree that names spelled with random letters is being different by being the same, BUT you were rude. Sorry

Mindy

PF Addict
Feb 20, 2008
QC, Canada
I think the momma just spelled her kids names differently, what's wrong with that? And why does it bother you? I think I'm missing someone too :(

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
Well...my favorite saying is "let he who has not sinned cast the first stone"
So it was an obvious come back ;)

ljmahr

PF Fiend
Oct 16, 2007
I just wanted to say. What is wrong with spelling Kylee that way? That is more how it is pronounced than Kylie. My daughter's name is spelled Kylee.

1dayatatime

PF Addict
Oct 3, 2007
AZ
FooserX said:
Keep up with the dumb posts...maybe you can set a bad rep record.
lol Ya I have to agree you were wrong. Who are you to question a parents choice of name? I get stupid comments like that all the time. Usually...its is that really his name? Here's your sign.

evilbrent

PF Addict
Sep 4, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
This parent went out of her way to give her kids names spelt screwy - she's going to have to put up with other people's confusion. In the end, as always, it's the kids who suffer.

Imagine having the name "John Smith" except having to spend your whole life explaining to people that it's "Jonne Smmifthye"

The thing here is it's 3 perfectly normal names, which you see EVERYWHERE, and she's deliberately chosen to spell them screwy. It's not like the name is Margaret, which could just as easily be Margarette. Or it's not like you're named Peter - except that it's the more Slavic Pietre because of your roots.

I've got a friend Zuzannah. That's fine. That's how you spell it in Poland.

But Aymee, Rebeka and Kylee?? That's just asking for trouble. Maybe it's not _wrong_ but it's certainly asking for trouble - trouble that this mother's peers should have told her was a stupid idea to get into in the first place.

I'm all for ALTERNATIVE spellings. But making 5hit up? that's stupid.

evilbrent

PF Addict
Sep 4, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
melynie said:
I don't understand why a mother would deliberately mispell her kid's names. She must have been poorly educated and can't spell correctly - or is it that she's trying to be different - just like everybody else!
you might be on to something.

maybe she's too poorly educated to realise that spelling is important in general.

melynie said:
I don't see why I had to get in trouble for the customer not being able to spell.
here's a clue. don't offend the customers, even when they're daft.

BethInAK

PF Enthusiast
Feb 17, 2008
Anchorage, AK
evilbrent said:
true.

doesn't make it reasonable, and doesn't indemnify her from looking silly.
i personally don't think there is a "right" way to spell names - just a common way.

Perhaps because my names are so BORING.

Mindy

PF Addict
Feb 20, 2008
QC, Canada
I agree with Beth. I mean some names, the traditional spellings are dumb to me. And really, it doesn't matter. Why would it create more confusion. You just tell them the kid's name, if they ASK how it's spelled or if you know there are going to have to write it down, Spell it out before they ask.

Teresa

PF Fiend
Feb 2, 2007
Ohio
Sorry, but that WAS rude. My youngest daughter's name is Amylia, pronounced Amelia...but her father's middle name is Amyl, and she's named for him. Tell me that I spelled her name wrong, and you're going to get a HUGE reaction out of me. No one has a right to tell someone else that they made a MISTAKE in naming their children, especially if you don't know the history behind the name.

ljmahr

PF Fiend
Oct 16, 2007
I was just wondering something... Melynie is that really how you spell your name?