Is this normal?...

Skyburning

PF Fiend
Oct 6, 2007
Mississippi
I think the daycare might be overfeeding Nolan. They give me his little Infant Care sheet everyday saying what he ate and how many diapers and naps. Before he went to daycare I was PT at night at work and I would work for 4 hours. He would take two 3 oz bottles while I was gone. He would cluster feed in the morning 5-7 and then nap-and we'd get up for the day and he nursed every two hours.

Now-he is in daycare..we still cluster feed 5-7 then he goes to daycare from 730-4. I moved his bottles up to 4oz.
They fed him at
8:40-milk
10:45-milk
11:45 - 2.5 oz of sweet potatoes! (I was kind of upset about this because I told them half the jar today and half tomorrow)
1:45-milk
4:00 milk

He had 4 wet diapers and no dirty(had one this morning)
and took 3 naps totaling 3 hours.

Does he really need all that food? Or should I up the oz. again and only send 3 bottles instead of four? I'm afraid they are overfeeding him and WOW at all the solids he ate today! He's napping again right now I think he is too full to stay awake, lol.

Can you overfeed a baby? Or will he stop taking the food if he is full? At this rate I am never going to be able to keep up. Right now his bottles are half BM half formula but they are going to end up being all formula if he honestly needs to eat more because I just can't pump that much :(

Nikita

PF Fanatic
Jun 10, 2008
London, ON
I have a cheat sheet about feedings from my Doctor. It says for 3-4 month olds there is usually about 4-5 feedings in a 24 hr period and the amt per feeding is 6-7 oz. But this is for straight formula. I don't know about adding in breast milk, I never breast fed. Hopefully this helps a little though.

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
since he doesn't actually need the solids yet I would say half a jar is plenty if that's all you want him to eat. That said Logan was eating a full jar at lunch when he was Nolan's age...lol I let him eat as much of it as he wanted and he almost always finished the jars. I personally feel that isn't to much food for a baby his age. My kids always went through spirts were they would eat and sleep more. That always seemed to happen during major growth spirts. I also wanted to add that by 4 months my kids were both eatting 8 oz bottles, probably about 5 of them a day...but I did BF so I'm not sure if that makes a difference

Skyburning

PF Fiend
Oct 6, 2007
Mississippi
I guess it is normal then..I just thought formula was supposed to keep them full longer than BM because it digests slower. He nurses every two hours so I thought the formula added to the BM in the bottles would make him go a little longer than 2 hours..So do you guys think I should keep feeding him more bottles with 4 oz or just send more oz in a bottle and send less bottles?

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
I would move him up in oz at home so you can make sure he tolerates it well before sending bigger bottles to daycare...keep things as they are until you have a full day at home with him to try giving him more oz. Does that make sense?

Skyburning

PF Fiend
Oct 6, 2007
Mississippi
I nurse at home though so I have no idea how much he eats. I know I come absolutely no where near pumping when he eats though so I don't want to lose our nursing time or I would do a test run. I keep asking the people at daycare how he's doing with that amount of milk and they said he doesn't cry when they take it but he would take more if I gave it...I guess he would cry if he needed more..I just don't want to feed him more just because he'll drink it if he doesn't need it.

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
maybe send 6oz bottles for him and see how he does with those. I would still send the same number of bottles though at first

Nikita

PF Fanatic
Jun 10, 2008
London, ON
I would agree with fallon. Up the oz but keep the same number of bottles at first, to see if he really does need the extra food.

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
Mine ate alot. My daughter was on cereal at two weeks with BM and eventually formula. I always fed them if they were hungry. Babies will usually eat until they are full and then stop. He's not going to become obese if that's what you are worried about.
So he gets some nutritional value why don't you make your own homeade baby food at home? Mooshed pea's,, mooshed sweet potatos so it will be healthy? Just a thought. If he is not over weight then I think it's fine. Ask your pediatrician just to be sure.

meow_173

PF Addict
Jan 3, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
My friends child was in daycare also, and they always put on his sheet that he ate and ate well, but he actually WASN'T eating. so you just can't rely on that paper

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
Put food coloring in his milk. Make one bottle red and one blue and if he poops purple you'll know. LMBO You know I am soooooo kidding. Just thought it was funny.

Skyburning

PF Fiend
Oct 6, 2007
Mississippi
meow_173 said:
My friends child was in daycare also, and they always put on his sheet that he ate and ate well, but he actually WASN'T eating. so you just can't rely on that paper
I've watched them feed him. He takes the whole bottle no problem..I think part of what the problem is is he was EBF and he wants to keep sucking after he's done eating and he can't really do that with a bottle. I guess I need to tell them to feed him what I send and then pop the paci in his mouth after bottles.

Sirk

Your Forum Mom
Apr 1, 2008
"nuks" (in my house) + daycare = instant thrush

I was half glad Anya wouldn't take one, but she sucks her thumb instead. :(

Skyburning

PF Fiend
Oct 6, 2007
Mississippi
Sirk said:
"nuks" (in my house) + daycare = instant thrush

I was half glad Anya wouldn't take one, but she sucks her thumb instead. :(
I wonder why? At Nolan's daycare pacifiers aren't allowed "on the floor" meaning if he is playing/around the other children his paci goes in his cubby hole. So no other babies put his paci in their mouths.

Sirk

Your Forum Mom
Apr 1, 2008
Skyburning said:
I wonder why? At Nolan's daycare pacifiers aren't allowed "on the floor" meaning if he is playing/around the other children his paci goes in his cubby hole. So no other babies put his paci in their mouths.
ah. at Anya's they would all have them and grab them from each other's mouths and trade and drop them and find new ones. and wouldn't you know, they would all get thrush.

Skyburning

PF Fiend
Oct 6, 2007
Mississippi
Sounds like an irresponsible place..

The daycare Nolan goes to is actually pretty nice..it's the college daycare and it's only offered to faculty/students..and it's part of the child development/education/childcare program so the people watching Nolan are actually students being supervised by teachers..so they do their best with the kids and treat them really well because their degrees depend on it! LOL I love it there and they all love Nolan and tell me when I come to get him "I got to hold Nolan today..he's so sweet!" I just think they want to make him fat, lol.

Sirk

Your Forum Mom
Apr 1, 2008
It was voted "Local Best" and sure wasn't cheap. :(

But yeah, I only lasted I think 3-4 months working outside the home, and only that long because I couldn't afford to both quit and pay out the day care contract.
I think because it was rated so good, they ended up with too many babies and couldn't handle them all.

If the college doesn't have to pay too much staff because it's mostly students, they probably can afford to have a much lower child/teacher ratio. In South Dakota it was 5:1. How the heck do you care for 5 babies at once??

Skyburning

PF Fiend
Oct 6, 2007
Mississippi
It's 5:2 at our daycare in the infant room..not sure about the other ratios though. All the babies are surprisingly laid back in Nolan's room though. And the room is completely baby proof so there isn't much they can get into on the ground.