Is this show suitable?...

susie99

Jul 19, 2011
I don't know if many are you are from the States, but have you heard of the Deadly 60 show? I personally love it, Steve Backshall dealing with deadly creatures...what's not to love! Really interesting. I think they did a series on CBBC, but the American version is a bit more hardcore..

My eldest Harry (he's 6) has shown interest in watching it too, from other kids at school talking about it. I'm worried it might not be suitable for his age! Maybe I'm being paranoid... thought I'd ask your opinions!

For those who haven't seen it, I found the website: http://www.youtube.com/user/TheDeadlychannel to kinda give you a feel for what the show's about.

Really would appreciate what you all think!!

MomoJA

PF Fiend
Feb 18, 2011
I think it probably depends on the child, and you know your child best. A couple of years ago when we were all together at the beach, the nieces and nephews about your son's age were watching a similar nature show on Discovery. There are four of them that age. According to their mothers, two of them were unaffected, one had nightmares for weeks, and one had fears for about a year but that's the way he is. He's afraid of things my daughter isn't afraid of and there are nearly 4 years difference between them.

I don't think I'd let my daughter watch, but she is not yet 5.

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
I'd never watch it, I don't get the thrill of people tempting fate. I have no problem with kids learning about nature and the circle of life etc,, but I don't see the point of intejecting man. Ultimately it's your call. If it's being talked about at school, then he's going to want to watch it. If you're concerned then maybe I'd hold off a bit, but if you do let him watch , then I'd use the opportunity to have conversations about how real people don't do stuff like that in nature etc. focus of the nature part and down play the dare-devil part...JMHO.

Step23

PF Regular
May 16, 2011
Only a parent knows the limits of what their child(ren) can handle. What does your intuition tell you about your son? I don't think I would let a child of 6 yrs watch this type of program alone, but you don't strike me as the type of parent that would do that.

Personally? I'm with IADad. This show kind of reminds me of Steve Irwin - Crocodile Hunter. He may have done some good, but at what cost? I simply don't like to have animals and nature sensationalized. However, it is difficult for parents to fight the pressure of peers! Perhaps by watching it together?

singledad

PF Addict
Oct 26, 2009
South Africa
I've never seen it, but it doesn't sound like the type of show I'd whatch or let my daughter whatch. But honestly, the main reason why I won't let her whatch these sesationalist shows is because I want her to have a healthy respect for nature, but not fear. These kinds of shows usually contain very little real information about the creatures, and teaches the opposite of how to conduct yourself responsibly when you venture out into the wild.

bethm

Jul 21, 2011
My 7 year old is obsessed with the show, but I do tend to record it for him and watch it first just to make sure its okay. He wouldn't freak out about anything, but I wouldn't want him repeating what he saw to his younger siblings and freaking them out. Which he tends to do because he thinks hes a big brave boy. Where my other sons are a lot more sensetive.

Aug 25, 2011
I agree with bethm, I think it's good to record the show before-hand to make sure there's no bad language or other influencing things like that.