It's been a strange few weeks...

Jeremy+3

PF Addict
Apr 18, 2009
Nottinghamshire
Last week we went to Spain after finally deciding where and when to go on holiday, we even cancelled the first one we booked because as always we changed our mind.

It was a pretty good week, and as it wasn't during the school holidays it wasn't full of English people (they're vile abroad) so it was nice and quiet, plus we hadn't gone to a tourist resort. But there was still a French couple in our hotel and you could hear them complaining that all the food was Spanish...

We had to come back early as the mine my brother works at was involved in an accident (BBC Cymru), thankfully he was one of the three who managed to get out.

Then I had somehow missed that one of the peace walls in Northern Ireland was being temporarily opened so people could pass through it during the way if they wanted. I spoke to my cousins little girl who was there, they live on the Protestant side (though aren't protestant, just like the house) and it was the first time she had ever been able to speak to any Catholic children in NI and she is 11. I hope they start opening more.

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
Glad that your vacation was nice..overall, complaining about Spanish food in Spain LOL.

Even more glad that your brother was fine but it was sad to read a few still lost their lives.

I'm gonna look up the peace walls since I have never heard of them.

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
glad to know your brother's okay. I had heard about that accident.

Glad it's not just american's who are vile while abroad...

I had not heard about peace walls either...just kid of knew tthe whole fight had settled down in recent years, hadn't really know much about why or how it's occrred/been maintained.

Jeremy+3

PF Addict
Apr 18, 2009
Nottinghamshire
There have been a few ceremonies but we had to come home for school so I wasn't able to go to any. I'm not sure what the men are going to do for money, hopefully something will be set up until they get back to working. We'll have to make sure my brother is okay, his partner can't work so he can't fall back on him for bills etc.

I hope the mine doesn't close, it would be such a shame, hopefully they can replace the mens positions fairly easily, there will be plenty of local people with mining experience.

Peace walls are to separate Catholics and Protestants, it is pretty easy as Catholics and Protestants never live in the same street and normally don't even live on the same side of the town/city. Some of them are weird though, they're mainly made from metal and some have fake streets etc painted on them

They're still being built as well, the most recent one was built two years ago, the first one was built in 1969, some are huge as well, there are a few that are six meters tall

The fighting has never settled down, hopefully it will one day, it is pretty bad at the moment as Sinn Fein (political party) who are made of past and current IRA members are now in government!

I think most people are vile abroad, but vile in different ways, British people tend to swear and expect locals to be equipped for them, so to have perfect English and to provide them with what ever they want. As pretty much all British people go abroad once a year (yet to meet someone that doesn't) it makes us look even worse as well as we are always somewhere causing trouble. Especially as most hen and stag parties (bachelorette and bachelor) are long weekends abroad, normally in Magaluf also known as Megamuff, Shagaluf and ClapCity.

Last edited: