Its official - I'm insane....

singledad

PF Addict
Oct 26, 2009
South Africa
So I've entered for a 25k race on the 9th of July. :err:

Until now, I've only done 10k's, and my times haven't been anything to get excited about. I believe I could crack the 1 hour mark at my next race, if all goes according to plan. :eek:

I have to start pushing myself, though. I want to be doing marathons by the end of the year, and next year June I have a date with a 90km bugger called "Comrades"...

:wacko:

Jeremy+3

PF Addict
Apr 18, 2009
Nottinghamshire
It's good you'll enjoy it, this is the first year since I was 19 that I haven't done the London marathon and I'm massively regretting it, the London marathon is 26M/42KM.

singledad

PF Addict
Oct 26, 2009
South Africa
I hear the London Marathon is a really great race, I can imagine that you will regret not doing it after so many years.

42km is a nice distance - long enough to make you work really hard, but not so long that you start to hurt badly. There's one a week after the race I've entered for, but I'm not ready yet. I'm not sure I'm ready for 25km either, but I'm doing it anyway :p

I've done Comrades twice before, and Two Oceans @ 56km three times, but I only started running again at the beginning of the year after several years of laziness. Its good, but I'm not training enough. I really need to be doing around 5 min/km over 10km by now, but I strugge to go below 6min/km. At least I've bought a treadmill now - its a poor substitude for real road time, but at least I can get my legs working on the days I can't get out, so hopefully I'll begin to improve my times soon.

Jeremy+3

PF Addict
Apr 18, 2009
Nottinghamshire
I only train for about 4 weeks for marathons, but then I do a lot anyone, where as I guess a lot of people only exercise for a specific thing, instead of doing it most of the time.

singledad

PF Addict
Oct 26, 2009
South Africa
I used to be like that... before I became all work and no play. :eek:

Also - in my defence - its been less than a year since my liver transplant. Six months ago walking 2km exhausted me so much that I had to go lie down afterwards...

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
Wow, I was impressed by 25k, but 90, that''s, well, you said it, "insane." You go man. Your efforts inspire me to keep moving.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Wow good luck with that! I wish I could do that kind of running haha. I'd probably pass out somewhere right at the beginning lol. And 25k is pretty crazy, but 90k!? That's bonkers! :p

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
I would lay down on the ground and die. I have never understood how people find running "fun" LOL

Good luck though!

detty

PF Regular
Aug 12, 2009
mom2many said:
I would lay down on the ground and die. I have never understood how people find running "fun" LOL
I wouldn't call it fun, but it can be reinforcing. Something about the brain chemistry of having a good work out makes you want to do it again - especially if it's in the sun.

singledad

PF Addict
Oct 26, 2009
South Africa
LOL yeah - I guess its a lot about chemistry. It gets the endorphins pumping like nothing else, and then there's that feeling of accomplishment when you finish in a good time... Plus, if you train enough you get really fit, and that just feels great.

And... I ran 10k in 58:56 this morning, so I finally cracked one our! Yay me. LOL.

PS: 90k isn't that bad. As the saying goes: Its just the last 80k that hurt... :D

teenage_parent

PF Enthusiast
Apr 15, 2011
mom2many said:

Good luck though!
when you run until you can't run anymore... the feeling of helplessness is soooo good. like you don't give a care in the world.

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
teenage_parent said:
when you run until you can't run anymore... the feeling of helplessness is soooo good. like you don't give a care in the world.

I wouldn't have a care in the world..........I'd be dying! Lol

singledad

PF Addict
Oct 26, 2009
South Africa
teenage_parent said:
Its the endorphins tjat make you feel like that ;). Yup, it feels pretty awesone, but I can understand that its nor for everybody.

NancyM

PF Addict
Jul 2, 2010
New York
I wish I could get to that point. I'm a regular walker and jog inbetween but it's not easy for me. I think I could use a trainer, but I'm afraid he/she will kill me.

lol