Job Vent...

.:Kalli Rae:.

PF Fiend
Apr 18, 2008
Rapid City SD
I put this in the General Parenting thread because it bothers me that I can't be the parent I want to be because of my job.

I work such a messed up schedule and I don't see it changing within the next cpl months. :(

Lets see...this week for example I worked (8 hr shifts) Tuesday at 8 am-4 pm, Wed at 7 am-3 pm, Thurs at 4 pm-12 mid, Fri at 12 midnight-Sat morn 8 am, Saturday at 12 midnight-Sun morn at 8, then have an 8 hr turnaround on Sunday so I have to be back at 4 pm-12 mid and Monday I have a 12 hr shift 10 am-10 pm. I haven't seen my kids, except for about 20 min on Saturday, since Friday Morning before school. I won't see them again until Monday morning for a few minutes and Tuesday (my only day off this week) we will all be home together. Next week my only day off is Sunday. I am just about getting burned out at this job. The thing that sucks is I LOVE my job, the work part of it anyway but the hours are killing me. I have talked to my boss and he can't change it because I don't have seniority over anyone so the people with seniority get the shifts they want and I have to fill in the empty slots. We are down 3 people right now, One is on vacation, One is on Maternity Leave and we are in the hiring process right now for the 3rd spot.

There is a call center (Direct TV) here in town and I have been kind of thinking about it but I told my boss I would give him 3 yrs so I can be vested in the state and I would have to take $3.36 pay cut. I don't think that is worth it but their hours are so much better than here.

Oh I just needed to vent a bit. I don't feel like I am doing right by the kids, I am pretty sure they understand but that doesn't make it any easier when they can't come home for days and days at a time. Even with all these hours I am still living paycheck to paycheck. I don't have anything in my savings acct, it is all I can do to keep my head above water. I only get about $100-$150 in child support so that doesn't go very far. It just sucks and I feel sooooo guilty I spent any money on myself out of the Stimulus check. I thought I deserved it, I hadn't bought myself anything in literally years but now I wish I had not bought myself anything and just put all that money in the savings acct. :(

I am pretty sure I am not alone in feeling like this and I know there are people who have it harder than me...I just needed to get it out.