JonBenet Ramsey...

Mindy

PF Addict
Feb 20, 2008
QC, Canada
The case has driven me insane since it happened in 96'

Think it will ever be solved?

Are you in the camp of RDI (Ramseys did it) or IDI? (Intruder did it)

It's just the strangest case, and I have doubts we will ever really know what happened.

Cthru

PF Fiend
May 11, 2008
Chicago suburbs
I really don't know on that one.. I'd like to think it was an intruder, we may never know!

I'm very stuck on the Madeleine McCann case though. That's another we may never know either.

ljmahr

PF Fiend
Oct 16, 2007
I actually read a couple books about this case. I am sure it will never be solved. I think the cops and such took the wrong steps in the first place.

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
cops screwed up, I just htink this poor girl needs to be left alone (in peace) instead of every few months being plastered all over the tabloids again. I mean seriously this little girl was murdered and they are getting high off of it

Mindy

PF Addict
Feb 20, 2008
QC, Canada
I was in the RDI camp for over 10 years... After reading hundreds and hundreds of hours about the case, that is no longer the case.

I firmly believe it was an intruder. Someone out to hurt John Ramsey.

Cops definitely screwed up and yes, JB should be able to rest in peace, I don't think it will ever be solved either, but I won't give up hope. Someone knows what happened. And it's not John or the late Patricia. IMHO

Mindy

PF Addict
Feb 20, 2008
QC, Canada
Well I honestly never thought this day would come. But here it is. Some militant Ramsay's Did it people are already trying to dispute this, but this press release would never have been made if it wasn't certain. And as someone who has researched this case for hundreds of hours, and who believed for many years the Ramsay's were responsible mostly because of where it happened, I do believe they are correct... Thoughts and opinions

SPECIAL SECTION</U>[/B]<i>[/U]</i>[/URL]
KUSA - 9NEWS has learned that newly discovered DNA evidence in the JonBenet Ramsey murder case does not match any Ramsey family members or anyone in law enforcement DNA databases.

The recent testing was done on a different area of the child's clothing and it matches previous DNA tested from the child's panties in 1997. It is DNA from a male.
The discovery, from a new testing method, has prompted the Boulder District Attorney's office to release a letter officially clearing the Ramsey family, including John, Patsy and their immediate family of any involvement in the December 1996 death of the 6-year-old.

District Attorney Mary Lacy met with John Ramsey and his defense attorneys, Bryan Morgan and Hal Haddon, on Wednesday morning to formally deliver the letter clearing the family of any involvement.
Lacy based her decision, according to the letter, on the results of new DNA samples secured and tested at the The Bode Technology Group Inc., in Lorton, Va. The new DNA "touch" analysis technology was not available in 1996 when the child was killed.

JonBenet Ramsey's body was found in the family home in Boulder on December 26, 1996. Her father found her body in a rarely used room in the basement of the home.

According to Boulder Police reports, the family got up early on the morning of December 26 to fly to Charlevoix, Mich. to visit family.

JonBenet's mother, Patsy Ramsey, found a ransom note (click here to see the ransom note[/U]</U><i></i>[/URL]) at the bottom of a spiral staircase about 5:30 or 6 that morning. Police were called, and searched the home, but the child's body wasn't found until another search of the home was done five hours later by John Ramsey.

In April of 1997, Boulder County District Attorney Alex Hunter declared the family under an "umbrella of suspicion" for the murder.

Nine years later, Patsy Ramsey died in June of 2006 after a 13-year battle with ovarian cancer.

New Evidence
The new DNA "touch" analysis tests were run on the leggings that went over the child's panties.
Boulder DA investigators and Lacy made the decision late last year to have the leggings tested at the Bode Lab. It is not clear if the leggings had been previously tested for DNA.

Boulder DA investigators considered the possibility that since the child was sexually assaulted, and was undressed and redressed, there was a possibility the perpetrator left skin cell samples. They believe that could have happened when he first pulled JonBenet's leggings down and then later back up.

Investigators wanted to test to see whether DNA skin cells might be found in the waistband of the leggings.

The Bode Lab recovered DNA from the top portion of the leggings, on both the right and left legs, where the perpetrator would have put his hands to move the leggings. Those new DNA "touch" samples from the leggings match the DNA that was found in 1997 on the panties of the child.

The new DNA "touch" testing technology from the Bode Lab tests for DNA in cells left behind from the act of touching a person's clothing. (Bode Lab[/U]</U><i></i>[/URL]) At the time of JonBenet's death, technology for DNA testing on the child's panties used "swabs" from fluid obtained from skin and clothing to establish DNA identity.

The previous 1997 DNA "swab" testing of the child's panties found DNA in two separate areas. DNA was found mixed with fluid from the little girl. The 1997, DNA contained enough information or DNA markers to be entered into the federal DNA database called CODIS.

The new "touch" DNA from JonBenet Ramsey has been compared with what exists in CODIS, but no match has been found.

CODIS includes strict guidelines for what can be entered into its system. There has to be a minimum of information or DNA markers before CODIS will accept the samples into its system. The original 1997 DNA passed CODIS requirements and is in the federal CODIS data base. It was entered into CODIS in 2002.
CODIS contains DNA from local, state and national databases of DNA profiles from convicted offenders, unsolved crime scene evidence and missing persons.

Mandatory DNA testing varies widely from state to state. In Colorado, legislation was introduced mandating any felon arrested of a crime to be tested for DNA, so it can be entered into the CODIS data base. (Mandatory DNA testing laws in Colorado[/U]</U><i></i>[/URL])

Both the Colorado Bureau of Investigation and Denver Police were involved in the analysis of the new DNA.
"There is now one step left in finding the killer of the little girl." A source close to the investigation told 9NEWS. "And that's to match the DNA to the right person."
</SIZE>[/FONT][/SIZE]</SIZE>[/FONT]

Teresa

PF Fiend
Feb 2, 2007
Ohio
I guess I'm a militant, Mindy...I'm still not convinced it wasn't someone in the family who did it. If they got the DNA off her panties at the beginning of the investigation, why did it take 12 yrs and new technology to discover the same DNA was on her pajamas? There has been too much shoddy police work, IMO, almost as if they didn't WANT to find the answer.

Mindy

PF Addict
Feb 20, 2008
QC, Canada
And just to clarify.... The matching DNA is from the fact that they match rules out contamination from a worker at the panty factory.....

Mindy

PF Addict
Feb 20, 2008
QC, Canada
Teresa said:
I guess I'm a militant, Mindy...I'm still not convinced it wasn't someone in the family who did it. If they got the DNA off her panties at the beginning of the investigation, why did it take 12 yrs and new technology to discover the same DNA was on her pajamas? There has been too much shoddy police work, IMO, almost as if they didn't WANT to find the answer.
LOL, I didn't mean you Teresa, you, like I used to, firmly believe they are responsible. I meant people on another board who are freaking out and posting all kinds of made up stuff...

Not sure what to tell you, except your question is very valid. I will see what else I can find.

I really think it's possible it was someone John knew through work that really wanted to hurt him big time.

Mindy

PF Addict
Feb 20, 2008
QC, Canada
Teresa, here is an explanation from one of my co-posters, who agreed I could quote her words :)

"LCN (or 'Touch') dna is a technique that was developed by the UK Forensic Science Service in 1999. It is performed by only a few laboratories across the world and is extremely expensive but necessary when only small amounts of DNA are recovered.

LCN dna analysis is like traditional DNA analysis, but the technology allows for very minute samples (15-20 cells) to be amplified into a genetic profile ......hence the name, Low Copy Number. Prior to this technology, samples that small were useless. It earned it's nickname 'Touch' because everytime we touch something, we leave minute traces of our dna and this technique is sensitive enough to pick that up. But this same technique can be used to detect other minute sources of dna (e.g. from sweat).

A word of caution when reading up about Touch dna: 1) Consider the source. IOW don't rely on People Magazine to provide you with accurate scientific information. The media often makes major mistakes when reporting about dna and other complex scientific topics. 2) Check the date. Limitations to dna analysis or amplification in 2005 may not be limitations today. It is an emerging science and advances are being made all the time, so what was true 10 yrs ago, 5 yrs ago, or last month may not be true today.

But to answer your above question about how the 12 year old samples were preserved, they would be handled and preserved just like any other biological evidence. If biological evidence is stored properly (in this case, since it was a dry sample it would be frozen at -20 C) it will last indefinitely. There are cases where samples were preserved for 20+ years and successfully analyzed using pcr."