Judge Orders Adopted Baby Returned to Father...

singledad

PF Addict
Oct 26, 2009
South Africa
A judge has ordered a Utah couple to return their adopted toddler to her biological father after it was revealed that his wife gave up the child without the father's knowledge or permission.

The couple, Jared and Kristi Frei, now has 60 days to return the 21-month-old girl to her father Terry Achane, a U.S. Army drill instructor. But the Freis' lawyer told ABCNews.com that they will not give up the girl, whom they call Leah, and will appeal the judge's ruling.
Link

What do you think? Right? Wrong? Who should be bringing up this child?

cybele

PF Addict
Feb 27, 2012
Australia
Oh that is just an awful mess.

I don't even know what to say to that. How did he find out about the baby though if he thought she had been aborted?

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
Wow, that is a huge mess.

I don't know what the right thing to do it. If he came forward early on then, as hard as it would be, should have turned the baby over. He clearly wants his child. Yet, part of me thinks, she's bonded to this couple.

It reminds me of that movie with Halle Berry, where her son is put up for adoption after she leaves it in the trash so she can get high. Fast forward the child is preschool age and she get's him back. Only she realizes the trauma it is causing and 'gives' him back to the adopted family...where they learn to co-parent as a team.

That seems a lot more ideal to me.

Jeremy+3

PF Addict
Apr 18, 2009
Nottinghamshire
Well according to the article the foster carers (the child has not been adopted at all) were well aware that the child had been abducted from her father. So how exactly is this a surprise and what decent person would foster an abducted child never mind try to adopt them.

Also mom2many it does say that he came forward several weeks after she was born when he discovered what had happened, but the authorities who had allowed this abduction to take place completely ignored him as did the 'agency' and the foster carers.

akmom

PF Fiend
May 22, 2012
United States
That's just sad. That poor little girl is going to be devastated. The best thing all those adults can do is spend the next 60 days of their grace period getting acquainted and getting the child comfortable with her biological father, in the familiarity of her current home.

I think it would be best for the child, at this point, to stay with the foster family. But the support of her real father couldn't hurt, especially with all the literature suggesting how difficult cross-racial adoption can be on children. But to be suddenly ripped from everything she has known for almost two years... that's terrible. I do wonder what made the birthmother run for the hills and hide the baby's birth. Is the man abusive, or was she just being vindictive?

I agree, it's reminiscent of "Losing Isaiah." The conclusion in that movie was beautiful, and worth copying.