Just a bit of a ramble, Rebekah had her 'prep transition' day today...

AmyBelle

PF Fiend
Apr 20, 2008
Australia
Before I get into it I suppose another brief summary of the Australian schooling system :goofy:

Bek is currently in kindergarten, kinder here is a stand alone education and not required, and not part of general schooling. After kinder they move into the first year of actual schooling, which is called prep. (everyone always seems to get stuck on the 'prep' part, hehe)

Anyway, she had her transition day today. They find out their classes, meet their calssmates and teachers and learn about the school so come february when they actually start, they will be all ready for it.

Ahh it was so damn cute, her teacher seems lovely, there were a line of parents at the back of the room watching and it was just so sweet to see. They got a school 'showbag' with a school hat (I was wondering why that didnt come in the uniform order) a class list, a letter from their 'grade 6 buddy' some sunscreen and the tuckshop price list for next year :)wub: "look mummy they have zooper doopers") THAT word she can read, go figure.

She has two other kids from her kinder in her class (only 5 out of 18 of them are going to this school) and she has made friends with a girl she was sitting next to named Ruby, her mother and I have organised for them to meet up and play for a bit before they start school so they get to know each other better, because im sure that when we drop them off on the first day its going to be very different to the enthusiasm of being there today... with mummy standing in the back of the room and the whole recieving a bag of goodies thing.

They had a 'school tour' then went outside to play on the playground for a bit while the parents had a thing we had to go to where we had all the school stuff explained.

They went back in the classroom and talked about all the fun things they can do at the school and Bek came out of that with an enrolment form for after school horse riding lessons. :wacko: Its only $25 a term so we'll give it a shot for term 1 and see if she likes it.

Then they all got ice-cream.

So Bek's under the illusion that school is all ice-cream and horses and zooper doopers and playgrounds. Haha, this will be interesting. At least it wont be hard to get her there on her first day.

bssage

Super Moderator
Oct 20, 2008
Iowa
Whats the age limit? Am I to old to go?

Sounds like a neat deal. Until the teacher latches the door behind them click :D.

I would guess that you signed up to be a room mom. If they have that there.

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
I'm with Bssage....I wanna go!

But of course reality does sit in...

Hope she has a great first, second, third and so forth day!

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
I think it works like NCAA eligibility guys - as long as we haven't gone through prep, I think we're eligible to attend....

now, let's see, money for the riding lessons, uniforms, okay, airfare to australia......gulp.

would you mind bringing the school here? Perhaps a large FedEx box (be sure to pack extra food for the horse, we want to be sure he's ready to ride when he gets here.)

Well, that's fun Amy. Now, do I get it right, your school year starts in February?

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
That sounds pretty nice! I'm happy for her! There's nothing better than a kid being excited for the first day of school. I can't imagine Eli's first day of school, I will cry!!! D; haha

AmyBelle

PF Fiend
Apr 20, 2008
Australia
Ive signed up to help in the tuckshop, the school dosent have the aprents helping out in the classrooms, and dammit, im jumping on excursion helpers :D

IADad said:
Well, that's fun Amy. Now, do I get it right, your school year starts in February?
Yep, February - December.

Xero said:
I can't imagine Eli's first day of school, I will cry!!! D; haha
I think i'll be fine with Bek, when Lily starts school though and im left all alone after sending the two fo them off, then i'll start crying.

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
Mom2all said:
Your School there sounds great! I wish that our system had those kind of after school programs. Please tell me though, what is a zooper dooper?
I think it's something like a Chaz Wazzer...;-) (for all you Simpson's fans out there.....)

16th ave.

PF Addict
Jan 4, 2009
East Texas
oh1 we call those ice pops here. some call them popsickles (technically different from an ice pop).
kids love 'em!

what's a Chaz Wazzer??? i watch the simpsons but i don't recall hearing that name.

oh! and Amybell-- i hope your dd has fun and enjoys the year and it aint too ruff on you adjusting to her being gone all day.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Ohhh yeah we call those ice pops, but I'm pretty sure that's just cause we don't have any particular name brand for them. And actually.... I think the name brand IS Ice Pops. lol I'll have to look into that.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
http://www.jkhgraphicdesign.com/images/jpegs/IcePops.jpg[/URL]

Just click, I didn't feel like photobucketing it lol.