just a rant...

evilbrent

PF Addict
Sep 4, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
My ex-boss has had four wives. He's been an engineering manager on every continent. He's done everything under the sun. He's an old pipe-smoking, fast-talking, swearing grandfather dirty old Scot with a huge moustache and scar on his throat from cancer surgery. He played in a band in Japan. He was almost a Presbyterian minister. His first engineering job was to install a STEEL MILL in South Africa. Before he came to work at my little company (engineering department of about 4) he had 300 people reporting to him and budget of $200 million.

He asked me what I thought the most important thing in life was, I figured he meant, like, success or hard work, or rigour or discipline. He said "Family. Everything else comes second." This advice was coming from a guy who'd DEFINITELY been there and done that, who'd had ALL the career success a person could hope for... and the three train-wrecks to show for it and a new wife he wasn't letting go for any reason.

In the end he followed his current wife to London when SHE got the raise of a life-time. It took him 30 years to get the picture.

Ok that's it. That's my point. This might be my longest forum post EVER on any forum. (ok, maybe not, who am I kidding?)

You're totally not crazy to think that the money's not worth it - obviously, as long as you're making ends meet. Move to a cheaper suburb (I did), make him get a real job, a 9-5 job like everyone else, refocus your world around your family. Get a cheaper car. Pay off any debts you have. Buy more generic food (I haven't bought normal milk in 2 years, I have only UHT because it's half the price, and honestly doesn't taste that much different. It's like the difference between Coke and Pepsi. Same same.)

Do whatever it takes.

I'm completely on your side. Move heaven and earth to see it happen - but it's just not worth working your life away for your kids. They won't thank him, they'll have wished that he could have gone to the park with them instead.

----

So, kind of as a side note, but not really... the last few months we've been having the best sex of our whole marriage. I can't work out if this is a good thing or not, but last night Beth told me that she doesn't want to have sex at the moment, because the last time we did it was so good it completely satisfied her. I don't know if that's a good thing or not...

But compare this to how we saw in 2007 - with her going to the emergency room after attempting to overdose on her depression medication and an entire bottle of champagne. Her eyes were like saucers. I hated her for trying to leave me that way.

She's been exercising - I'VE been exercising, last year I went from almost zero real activity to training for and successfully completing a 210km bike ride around the city - she's off the drugs 100%, she's losing weight, she's not working those screwed up hours at that screwed up place, her binge-eating compulsion seems to have just dropped away, we're happier, the kids are happier. Everything is happier except our bank balance... which, frankly, I could care less about.

evilbrent

PF Addict
Sep 4, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
hmmm. 2433 words.

I used to agonise over having to write half that back in school.

I'm sorry to go on and on and on and on so much. I'm mostly writing so I can get this stuff all straightened out in my head.

It's our 9th anniversary coming up, and I've been trying to think about this stuff so that I've got something to say... you know... on the day. Does anyone else do that?

Maybe it's just me...

Lissa

PF Visionary
Sep 12, 2007
Kaytee said:
why would he fall off the handle? Becuase you posted it, then just write it in your hand and give it to him. If you cannot go to him and tell him your concerns then your marriage needs much more help then anyone can offer. You have to talk to him.
The last time I brought up how I felt, he ended up throwing a jar of peanut butter through the wall, knocking down all the pictures in the living room and smashing my (very expensive) print.

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
well then he needs to learn to control his anger, though I don't know what he is angry about. Did you try to talk to him in a non-blaming way. Like "you promised you would ...blah blah blah" to more of a "honey I miss you, hte kids miss you, we never see each other"

brent- Veyr good story (well its not a story but you get it )

Lissa

PF Visionary
Sep 12, 2007
Kaytee said:
well then he needs to learn to control his anger, though I don't know what he is angry about. Did you try to talk to him in a non-blaming way. Like "you promised you would ...blah blah blah" to more of a "honey I miss you, hte kids miss you, we never see each other"
Yes, I've tried all that. As far as his anger, I agree with you that he needs to learn how to control it. I made him an appointment with a counselor after the PB incident, but he called and canceled.

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
I wish I could offer more help, but I think his anger needs to be addressed before him working long hours. Sorry

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
Lissa I have been where you are, if you'd like you can PM me anytime if you need to talk. I can listen anytime you need to vent or offer little bits of advice

Ari2

PF Fiend
Jan 7, 2008
This sounds like a really tough situation.

Do you know how he feels about his ability as a parent and his bond with your child? Does he believe he is a competent parent with a strong bond? If not, perhaps this is one reason he does not seem to want to spend more time with your child.

More fundamentally, does he enjoy spending time with you and your child and does he care about these relationships? If the answer to both is negative, you have a considerable amount of work on your hands.

I hope you have people around you who can give you some support and lend a shoulder once in a while and that he realizes soon how much he is missing. :)

Lissa

PF Visionary
Sep 12, 2007
fallon said:
Lissa I have been where you are, if you'd like you can PM me anytime if you need to talk. I can listen anytime you need to vent or offer little bits of advice
Thank you.

Lissa

PF Visionary
Sep 12, 2007
Ari2 said:
Do you know how he feels about his ability as a parent and his bond with your child? Does he believe he is a competent parent with a strong bond? If not, perhaps this is one reason he does not seem to want to spend more time with your child.
I do believe that is a part of the problem. He freaks out over everything, especially if Oliver falls down and gets hurt. He gets stressed out very easily over the littlest things.

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
Kaytee I would be more then happy to explain myself to you if you are interested. I'll try and put it simply. Eight years of living with an addicted person does take away from love. Love can only go so far in a marriage. Unless you have lived with a practicing alcoholic you could never understand how you could just stop loving one. It's like being a solid rock and day after day after day that alcoholic takes a chip out.........after years what would that sturdy rock look like? At what point do you say "I've had enough and turn yourself into a diamond"? Too many things on his part have been said and done that can't be taken back. It's not like he is my mother or my father. He is a husband.
I love that he gave me three beautiful children and at one point I was in love and loved him but I no longer do for MANY reasons and the root of all the problems is the alcohol.
There also comes a point where using alcohol as an excuse for your actions has to stop.

Kaytee said:
I was just thinking about this and it kinda hit a spot for me. You don't love him because he is an alcoholic? Thats horrid. I am not saying that one should bend over backwards for an alcoholic or that leaving one is best for the entire familt, but not loving them? I loved my mother with all my heart when I was little, yet I still had to leave her and went to my fathers. I chose to leave because it was not healthy for me to with her anymore but that did not change the fact that I loved her more then anything.
You should love an alocholic despite what they are doing.

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
I would hope you grow seperatly as people how boring would that be if you didn't. Sure you can have the same goals in mind like the kids or financial issues but you have to have your own self and hobbies.:wacko:
I agree that both parents should learn at the same level, that would be beneficial for the kids but I think men tend to lack in that area a bit (most men)
A wife should be able to lean on her husband I agree but I also believe that a woman should be self sufficient:rolleyes: .
I think a woman should be able to hold a job, raise kids, tend to the house without a man. I see more times where a spouse leaves or a husband dies and the woman is totally lost. We are not helpless.
But alot of times woman bitch just to bitch.:eek:
I'm saying this in general and not directed at Lissa.:cute:

Kaytee said:
you can't grow seperatly in the scheme of a marriage. You can both grow, sure!! I would hope that everyone grows. But marriages end when their is no togetherness. Marriages end when one grows and the other does not.
Of course every person should have things that are solely theirs but again there needs to be unity and respect. Not one or the other.
If a wife cannot lean on her husband in a time of need then he is not much of a husband now is he? Of course it goes both ways and the man must be able to lean on the wife as well.

veronicadavis

PF Enthusiast
Dec 28, 2007
Ft belvoir VA
Its possible to grow apart in a marriage. Personally I love my husband to death but I hate that he leaves for work at 1pm, gets home from work at 11pm, plays WoW until 3am or 5 am, even 8am! Then he sleeps until noon (or later), wants me to cook for him, gets dressed and starts the cycle over again. On the off days he sits at the computer all day. Just 2 years ago he was a fun outdoorsy guy, now he's getting fat and lazy and boring. I still love him and I really hope this game is just a phase, but if something doesn't change, I don't intend to waste my youth sitting on the couch waiting for him to come outside with me, I'll be meeting new people and going to new places...I imagine we'd definitly grow apart. I know I love my husband, but I also know life is short and I want to LIVE. If your husband is working such a dumb job, and yes commission is completely dumb, then you're better off on your own. You can meet a guy who is willing to love you and make time for you and still provide for you. Your husband sleeping on the couch tells me he's already growing apart from you, and how do you know he's telling you the truth about where he is? I knew a woman who was married with 2 kids and her husband was never home, said he had over time, then she found a note in the car "Dear Jim, thank you for coming over on Christmas, are you still my boyfriend...." Which explained why he HAD to get coffee on Christmas. Ha. She left him, moved in with her mother for a few months, met someone new and is much happier now. Her ex ended up losing his job, dating a 15 year old...and he's now living with his parents, still not doing anything (its been something like 3 years), doesn't see his kids anymore, doesn't care either.

I know you're not her and your husband isnt that guy, but the point is, you don't have to waste your life with someone who doesn't care enough to make time for you, things CAN get better. If he's not willing to talk to you and fix things, that proves he doesn't care...and if you're afraid of him, that means you don't have a healthy relationship anyway. A husband should be a best friend and best friends aren't afraid of each other! They laugh and joke and smile and play. My husband is awesome other than his addiction to WoW...ha, I might just delete his account on him, grab him by the arm and MAKE him play outside with me, lol. Happiness is what makes life worth living. If you're not happy, your child(ren) isn't/aren't happy...then what are you doing?

Lissa

PF Visionary
Sep 12, 2007
veronicadavis said:
Its possible to grow apart in a marriage. Personally I love my husband to death but I hate that he leaves for work at 1pm, gets home from work at 11pm, plays WoW until 3am or 5 am, even 8am! Then he sleeps until noon (or later), wants me to cook for him, gets dressed and starts the cycle over again. On the off days he sits at the computer all day. Just 2 years ago he was a fun outdoorsy guy, now he's getting fat and lazy and boring. I still love him and I really hope this game is just a phase, but if something doesn't change, I don't intend to waste my youth sitting on the couch waiting for him to come outside with me, I'll be meeting new people and going to new places...I imagine we'd definitly grow apart. I know I love my husband, but I also know life is short and I want to LIVE. If your husband is working such a dumb job, and yes commission is completely dumb, then you're better off on your own. You can meet a guy who is willing to love you and make time for you and still provide for you. Your husband sleeping on the couch tells me he's already growing apart from you, and how do you know he's telling you the truth about where he is? I knew a woman who was married with 2 kids and her husband was never home, said he had over time, then she found a note in the car "Dear Jim, thank you for coming over on Christmas, are you still my boyfriend...." Which explained why he HAD to get coffee on Christmas. Ha. She left him, moved in with her mother for a few months, met someone new and is much happier now. Her ex ended up losing his job, dating a 15 year old...and he's now living with his parents, still not doing anything (its been something like 3 years), doesn't see his kids anymore, doesn't care either.

I know you're not her and your husband isnt that guy, but the point is, you don't have to waste your life with someone who doesn't care enough to make time for you, things CAN get better. If he's not willing to talk to you and fix things, that proves he doesn't care...and if you're afraid of him, that means you don't have a healthy relationship anyway. A husband should be a best friend and best friends aren't afraid of each other! They laugh and joke and smile and play. My husband is awesome other than his addiction to WoW...ha, I might just delete his account on him, grab him by the arm and MAKE him play outside with me, lol. Happiness is what makes life worth living. If you're not happy, your child(ren) isn't/aren't happy...then what are you doing?
Thank you. I know my husband loves me very much. He is trying very hard to support his family financially. We really need to have a talk. And I shouldn't be afraid to tell him how I feel.

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
Some tips Lisa. Don't be critizings because they automatically get defensive. Compliment him on what he does well. Ask him what he thinks he could do to change things for the better. Put it in his court and he won't feel defensive. :)

veronicadavis

PF Enthusiast
Dec 28, 2007
Ft belvoir VA
musicmom said:
Some tips Lisa. Don't be critizings because they automatically get defensive. Compliment him on what he does well. Ask him what he thinks he could do to change things for the better. Put it in his court and he won't feel defensive. :)

well said

1dayatatime

PF Addict
Oct 3, 2007
AZ
I wasted 10 yrs on my ex. The last two years we were together I did everything I could to get his attention. Extra mean. extra nice and everything in between. His prorities went like this: work, money, Coors, football, his family, his friends, lifted trucks, then maybe a few more steps to me. I took care of everything too. If I didnt fix it myself he would call his dad over to fix it. I was to just be pretty and quiet. I finally decided I was too good to be wasting my time on someone that couldn't or wouldn't notice me. A co worker at the time tells me one day ...shit or get off the pot. I left. I left everything. I could have gotten half of all the stuff I worked for in 10 years but I didnt care about STUFF. I wanted my freedom. It was VERY difficult he totally freaked out. I told him I was leaving two months before I left. It was no surprise but he never heard me. I had to choose me. The main difference...no kids with him. He always needed this or that before kids. I thank God I had the strenght to do something different.

eric@sealguide

PF Regular
Jan 2, 2008
I'm leaving my career after 16 years. I'm just 4 years away from retirement. He will only find quality time in the quantities of time he spends with his children.

If it's financially driven I would move into a cheap one bedroom apartment before I missed out on my children's lives. I'm sure your husband is a great guy to be working so hard, but what is he working for? No amount of money can provide a good future for children. Only parents can!

jenilouise

PF Addict
Oct 20, 2007
Oregon
I agree hun- you have to talk to him and he has to control his anger now before he hurts you or Oliver- if you are still around to be hurt.