Kids and Movies...

Trina

PF Addict
Jun 10, 2007
CT
DD (10) slept over a friend's house on Halloween. This is a family who we know fairly well. Today DD told me she could have watched an R movie called "Sleepy Hollow" at their house, but knew we wouldn't allow her to watch it, so she stayed upstairs with one of the other kids. I told her I was proud she made such a good judgement call, because I know that movie would scare the crap out of her. That said, I'm surprised this family showed the movie with mixed company in the house. Of course, it's totally their business what they allow their own kids to view, but *I* would never watch an R movie with kids, especially <I>other</I> people's kids.

Sleepy Hollow
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0162661/parentalguide[/URL]

Music-dad

PF Addict
Apr 22, 2008
Right here. Right now.
Wow, smart girl....hope mine will do the same should the situation arise.

Here's the full rating from the MPAA: <I>Rated R for graphic horror violence and gore, and for a scene of sexuality.</I>

I will NEVER do that....the kids can watch Dora's hallowe'en special, for all I care...and if she allowed K to, they'd get a phonecall from me.

Firefly4698

PF Enthusiast
Jun 25, 2008
It sucks when other people let your child watch things that you would not normally let them watch. Laney will sometimes see things at other people's houses that cause nightmares and other fears. It's very frusterating that people don't think about the content that they expose a four year old to. Sounds like you have taught your DD well and if I were in your shoes I would be very proud of her ability to do what she knows is right.

HappyMomma

PF Addict
Mar 7, 2008
Wylie, TX
It's just amazing what some people let their kids do, watch, etc... really.

Sounds like you have one incredible daughter there, Trina! ;-)

TAR

PF Fanatic
May 30, 2007
NM
You wouldn't believe it I went to see the sneak preview of the new SAW movie and there was children there! At least around 5 to 7, I'd never

NinJaBob

PF Addict
Sep 29, 2008
Ohio
That's great that she showed enough discipline to follow your rules when you weren't around. My sister let my niece watch Freddy Kruger movies when she was like 5 as well as whatever else she wanted. No way would I let my kids watch that stuff. I don't even like it.

-Phil

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
:eek: Ugh! That kind of crap drives me nuts. She sounds like a really good kid. That is so irresponsible of them, they're supposed to be the adults. I remember my mom (and I, it was like only a year or two ago) were livid because we went to an Easter or Thanksgiving (can't remember) family gathering and there were all the family kids in the livingroom watching TV from age 18months all the way to about 17 with about 8-10 kids out there and you know what movie they put in for them to watch? Scary Movie 3. THOSE MOVIES ARE DISGUSTING!! I couldn't believe it. I get embarassed watching those movies by the content, I can't even imagine watching them with children. Good God. :veryconfused:

Jessie

PF Enthusiast
Sep 12, 2008
I think it would have been nice if they would have called you asked first.
When we have other kids in our home, we check with the parents first to make sure it’s ok for kids to see/watch certain things.

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
I am going to go the other route and say that sometimes as parents, because we allow our kids to watch certian movies that we can forget that other parents may not let thier kids. I don't rely on anyone else to monitor my kids, they know what is ok and what isn't, so I expect them to do the right thing. And if they don't and see something that scares them then they are the ones who will feel the error of thier ways. Congrats to your DD for knowing what was the right thing to do, you must be very proud of her!

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
I agree to that too. Referring to my story - All the kids in the room that belonged to my mom got yelled at for watching it. And they deserved it! They knew better!

Father_0f_7

PF Addict
Aug 19, 2008
F.I., Florida
I do agree with everyone else...that she shouldnt have played the movie with other people's children there. but if she wants to let her kids watch it, let her...she probably know's what her kids can handle.

TabascoNatalie

PF Addict
Jun 1, 2009
England and somewhere else
a great cinema appreciator as i am, i said i'd never be fussy about movies if my kids really want to watch them.
but concerning my 5yo boy, it is not about "letting" him watch something, its about supplying him. so i'm not buying or taking him to anything what i think he won't understand.

bigearl67

PF Regular
Dec 4, 2007
sticks, Indiana
&lt;r&gt;My wife has a habit of watching monster movies in front of my kids (3 &amp;7 years) and they handle them fine. They scare me! As a rule other kids can not visit and watch movies or play video games, there is just too much stuff to do outside that is healthier. “Guys night out” is often pizza and a movie at the local theater. The Theater owner stands at the door and advises parents if the movie they are about to watch with their kids has violence or sex in it and reminds them if they don’t like it they can leave in the middle of the movie and get their four bucks back. I’m surprised at the number of parents that just blow this guy off!&lt;br/&gt;
&lt;URL url="http://www.4freeimagehost.com"&gt;&lt;s&gt;http://www.4freeimagehost.com/uploads/6b7f8779be7a.jpg"&gt;&lt;s&gt;
&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/IMG&gt;&lt;e&gt;[/url]&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/URL&gt;&lt;/r&gt;