Kids and wild animals...

singledad

PF Addict
Oct 26, 2009
South Africa
I know I'm probably preaching to the choir here, but maybe someone else is reading.

A friend just mailed me this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcQ_i2OclrI

Please, please teach your kids some respect for nature, and wild animals in particular! I cannot tell you how many times I've seen people take ridiculous chances with wild animals, and usually, if something goes wrong, the animal pays with his life :(

Rule of thumb - Consider ALL wild animals as dangerous, no matter how big or small, how ugly or cute. Don't ever approach them, especially if they are showing signs of agitation.

/rant over.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Wow, you would think that would be a no brainer. The stupid people in the world never cease to amaze me. It was completely obvious that the bison was irritated, yes go ahead and pet it kids! :/

singledad

PF Addict
Oct 26, 2009
South Africa
Xero said:
Wow, you would think that would be a no brainer.
Yup, you would think that, but apparently it isn't :rolleyes:

I often visit game parks - and I've seen so many idiotic moves made by people that I can't even name them all here. Its frightening. Too many people seem to have no idea that wild animals are dangerous. I'm hoping that at least one lurker sees this video, and thinks twice the next time they take their kids into a park.

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
Is it wrong that I just LMAO?!

Okay, in all fairness it does remind me of a time at my aunts house. They raise cattle, technically its the place they go when the need to be fattened up. There was a party and a lot of the adults, and yes some kids, were pigeon hunting.

The dead birds of course need to be picked up, well one landed in a pen with a very large bull. A very large bull who was not known for being friendly, but he made beautiful offspring. One of the kids there took off into the pen, it happened so fast no one had time to react. Imagine that Bison times 20, it's a good thing that kid could run.

Every time that memory pops into my head I laugh.

You are right though, people really do need to think first.

singledad

PF Addict
Oct 26, 2009
South Africa
mom2many said:
Is it wrong that I just LMAO?!
No, it is kinda funny, in a disturbing way. :rolleyes:

mom2many said:
Imagine that Bison times 20, it's a good thing that kid could run.
BabyAngel said:
Luckily for them, bisons don't run that fast !
Yup! I have to say, when I was watching that video, I kept thinking how the kid should thank his lucky stars it was a Bison, and not the Bison's close cousin, the Buffalo... They are way faster, and they don't mock-charge, ever. (Hence their spot in the "big five".) That kid would've been dead, no doubt about it...

Last edited:

singledad

PF Addict
Oct 26, 2009
South Africa
BabyAngel said:
You think that's disturbing ! Watch this one !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E851XfvDiXE
Now that just pisses my off :mad:

Actually, I was rooting for one of the tigers to attack a tourist in that video... remove at least one of those a#$holes from the gene-pool :mad: That is, for the few moments I could bear to watch. I couldn't finish it... Please tell me, does one of them get their revenge?

Jeremy+3

PF Addict
Apr 18, 2009
Nottinghamshire
It isn't just wild animals though is it, it is also domesticated animals, you see so many stupid parents who for some reason believe it is perfectly acceptable to allow their children to cuddle dogs, annoy dogs and even leave young children alone with them, it is as though they have a genuine death wish towards their children.

People are completely idiotic with animals some times, I know someone who dominated their dog but didn't get their children to do the same, so they taught their dog that it was above their children. They also didn't bother having proper boundaries between the children and the dog and so of course one day she attacks one of the children. She doesn't blame herself for teaching the dog its okay, she doesn't blame herself for not bothering to take responsibility for childrens safety, no, its her childs fault. So now her little girl has some very large scars and even worse, they still have the dog when its known to be aggressive.

Here you get idiots who walk their dogs in cow fields, then they get trampled to death, at least it removes a few more idiots from the gene pool.

Swans are the worst thing around here, they chase you and they're really fast, when they bite you it really hurts.

singledad

PF Addict
Oct 26, 2009
South Africa
cybele said:
You know who are mean? Geese.
LOL.

When I was a kid, our neighbours had "guard-geese".

They claimed geese were more effective at guarding their property than a dog.

They pack on helluva bit, those geese. :eek: (Yup, I had to climb over the fence to check it out :eek:)

:biglaugh:

singledad

PF Addict
Oct 26, 2009
South Africa
Jeremy+3 said:
It isn't just wild animals though is it, it is also domesticated animals
True. I've also seen the families where the parents have established themselves as "pack-leaders" (or sometimes not even that), but they never bother to teach their kids to do the same, and then, when the dog attacks the kid, the dog, or even the entire breed, gets blames for simply doing what dogs do. :rolleyes:

TabascoNatalie

PF Addict
Jun 1, 2009
England and somewhere else
Jeremy+3 said:
People are completely idiotic with animals some times, I know someone who dominated their dog but didn't get their children to do the same, so they taught their dog that it was above their children. They also didn't bother having proper boundaries between the children and the dog and so of course one day she attacks one of the children. She doesn't blame herself for teaching the dog its okay, she doesn't blame herself for not bothering to take responsibility for childrens safety, no, its her childs fault. So now her little girl has some very large scars and even worse, they still have the dog when its known to be aggressive.
Nobody wants to take the blame when a child gets hurt :( usually it is the dog to blame and gets put down. However, some children can be really mean to animals, and not all dogs are exactly pets to be played with.

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
cybele said:
You know who are mean? Geese.
Oh hell yeah! My dd got chased by one once. It was funny but the poor girl didn't stand a chance lol

We had a guard chicken once, One Eyed Jack, he was one mean ass chicken.!

singledad said:
True. I've also seen the families where the parents have established themselves as "pack-leaders" (or sometimes not even that), but they never bother to teach their kids to do the same, and then, when the dog attacks the kid, the dog, or even the entire breed, gets blames for simply doing what dogs do. :rolleyes:
I have my kids as dominant, as pups they tried to be over the kids but that got knocked down real fast!

TabascoNatalie said:
Nobody wants to take the blame when a child gets hurt :( usually it is the dog to blame and gets put down. However, some children can be really mean to animals, and not all dogs are exactly pets to be played with.
That always pisses me off. It is a huge pet peeve of mine!

jollysmith123

Banned
Jun 5, 2012
La Quinta,CA
Kids really need to learn to respect nature and wild animals. I fail to understand how some parents just find it amusing when their kids do stupid things. Cant they just see How wrong it is to harm or trouble an animal and also teach wrong things to the kids. Its totally the parents mistake!

Jeremy+3

PF Addict
Apr 18, 2009
Nottinghamshire
TabascoNatalie said:
Whether a child is mean to animals or if an animal is aggressive, any outcome is the fault of the parents for letting it happen.

TabascoNatalie

PF Addict
Jun 1, 2009
England and somewhere else
Jeremy+3 said:
Whether a child is mean to animals or if an animal is aggressive, any outcome is the fault of the parents for letting it happen.
Yes and no. I've witnessed several situations, where kids deliberately did what was wrong. Just like kids playing with fire or running on the road, and these are not toddlers :mad:
My relatives had an english bulldog. Very gentle dog. Once a guest came in with his kid aged around 5. He was holding a kid's hand and they were standing in the hallway talking. Suddenly out of the blue a kid kicked the dog. The dog caught the kid's foot. Luckily, the shoe took the most of the bite. Also lucky, adults had enough common sense not to blame the dog because everybody saw who did what.:eek:

Jeremy+3

PF Addict
Apr 18, 2009
Nottinghamshire
TabascoNatalie said:
Yes and no. I've witnessed several situations, where kids deliberately did what was wrong. Just like kids playing with fire or running on the road, and these are not toddlers :mad:
My relatives had an english bulldog. Very gentle dog. Once a guest came in with his kid aged around 5. He was holding a kid's hand and they were standing in the hallway talking. Suddenly out of the blue a kid kicked the dog. The dog caught the kid's foot. Luckily, the shoe took the most of the bite. Also lucky, adults had enough common sense not to blame the dog because everybody saw who did what.:eek:
All of those things are the parents fault, parents who don't bother raising their children have children that do that sort of stuff because they have been taught it is right/okay.