Kids found in basement black hole...

meow_173

PF Addict
Jan 3, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
<t>Two young Stoney Creek children have been rescued from a feces-smeared windowless basement room where they were kept locked up by their own parents and grandmother, Hamilton police say. <br/>
Two boys, 5 and 2, were found by patrol officers on April 2 when they went to the Stoney Creek Mountain home to check an unknown 911 call.<br/>
Investigators now think one of the little children made the call.<br/>
Police, who are required to check all unknown 911 calls, entered the home but at first found nothing out of the ordinary, said Detective Sergeant Chris Kiriakopoulos, of the Hamilton police victims of crime unit. <br/>
“When an officer came near the basement stairs, he heard a cry from downstairs,” he said.<br/>
Officers found a five-year-old boy near the bottom of the stairs “in a state of anxiety and fear,” then discovered a small room with a two-year-old boy inside.<br/>
“The room was filthy beyond words, and the officer who entered it said he almost couldn’t breathe from the stench.”<br/>
The windowless, pitch-black room had bunk beds and bedding that were soaked with urine, while feces was smeared on the walls.<br/>
“The room was very filthy and officers found dead rats outside the room.”<br/>
Kiriakopoulos said the room had a latch on the door frame that had been used to lock the children inside. “They had been confined inside the room for a periods of time.”<br/>
Child-abuse investigators executed a search warrant on the home the next day.<br/>
Six children from 2 to 13 lived in the home with parents and grandparents. <br/>
“It is a blended family,” Kiriakopoulos said. <br/>
All six children are now in foster care.<br/>
Children’s aid workers had routinely been checking on two children living with their grandparents on the main floor of the home, says Dominic Verticchio, executive director of the Children’s Aid Society of Hamilton. <br/>
“But nobody knew the other children were living there,” he says.<br/>
The CAS had been involved with the children on the main floor for “a couple of months.”<br/>
Verticchio says four children in total were living in the basement, along with two adults.<br/>
The parents, a 35-year-old man and woman, 27, and a 60-year-old grandmother have been charged with forcible confinement.<br/>
The grandmother has also been charged with assault. All three have been released on a promise to appear in court on May 6.</t>

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
beyond my rage about the actions of these people (and more than a little upset about the whole "released on a promise to appear" thing....I mean those kids never had that option in their own home.....)

I just wonder and worry about the kids, even now that they've been "rescued." How do they get over this? Can they ever have a normal childhood in any sense of the word? As the dad of a 7 and 2 yo, I can so easily transfer my own kids into this picture and think OMG, how would a kid like that ever come out of this? These people have taken so much away from these kids (and no doubt the others) ...and why? What possible reason, excuse, explanation can there be?

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Oh my god, that is so digusting and awful. How can those people live with themselves? How horrible.

After Dadu and Fo6 are done with the baseball bat, I'd like to take some time to cover a tiny dank underground room with no windows with dirt and poop and soak a couple of beds with pee and add a couple of dead animals and then lock those people in there. I wont even put a time limit on it. FOREVER. Forget jail, that's seriously way too nice.

THESE PEOPLE ARE SICK. They'd better get ample punishment. At the very least, they'd better never see those kids ever again. EVER. They've done enough.

You know what bothers me the most about all this? Not that we found something like this, but the thought of all that time before we found it. No one can ever take all that time suffering away from those kids, it will be with them forever. You know? And even worse, imagine how many other horrifying things children all over are experiencing like this that we just haven't caught yet, and may never catch at all. It gives me the chills and it really makes me hurt inside to think about it.