Kids swimming naked?...

asiangirlytoes

Oct 22, 2011
Chicago, IL
My daughters, ages 8 and 6, like to swim naked in our pool during the summer time. I'm fine with it. Does anyone else let their kids do this? I'm wondering at what age I should have them cover up, or if I should just let them swim how they want? They'll probably be wanting "pretty" bathing suits soon enough anyway.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
I swam naked as a kid too, and yes I'd let my kids do it. Nothing wrong with it as long as your pool is in a private area (like neighbors can't just look out their window and see them). My pool was in a yard surrounded by a tall private fence, so it really didn't matter. I think I would stop letting them do it when they start to become more "developed".

NancyM

PF Addict
Jul 2, 2010
New York
I never thought about it before, and now that I am, and I think of my 8 yr old niece, I don't think I'd let her do that. She looks like a little woman as it is.

I have to say I discourage it, I know for sure her dad would never approve.

Interesting.

Last edited:

Christopher

PF Regular
Jul 27, 2011
New Jersey
Nudity does not promote body curiosity as much as 'hiding it all' does. In our society we make so much of it that it has become dirty.

That being said I agree with Xero about privacy. Additionally, you may learn the hard way (as my wife & I did) that if it is accepted & therefore completely normal at your house - then it is normal for them to talk about with their teachers/friends etc.

DANGER Will Robinson!!

alter ego

PF Enthusiast
Oct 6, 2011
the bush, Australia
I swim naked in private :)
my 12 yo chooses to wear bikini bottoms and as she is developing I think she will wear a top this summer.
The rest of us go naked most of the time.

Dadu2004

PF Visionary
May 16, 2008
Cleveland, OH
I'd be naked all the time if I could...that being said, I'd be ok with my daughter being naked in a private pool until the time she starts to develop.

MomoJA

PF Fiend
Feb 18, 2011
I would have no problem with that as long as it was SECURELY private.

And even in public, with younger girls, (0-2 or 3) I'd rather them go naked than wear bikinis that make them look like little women.

stjohnjulie

PF Addict
Aug 9, 2010
St. John, VI
When my oldest was young he was naked all most all of the time :) We have beaches here, but he was naked at the beach until he was about 3. Since we are a tourist location, and people from all over the world visit, it was pretty easy to spot the people who didn't think this was ok. My mom was mortified that I never had a bathing suit on him.

I'm not sure if I would feel differently with little girls. I think I would cover them about the same age in public...3. But at home, without prying eyes, I think I would let them go without suits until they were entering puberty. Then I think I would encourage them to wear a suit. Not that puberty is shameful in any way, but I think they would want to anyhow.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Dadu2004 said:
I'd be naked all the time if I could...
Lol!! ODS is like that. First thing he does when he gets home from school is rip off all his clothes, it's a struggle just to get him to keep his underwear on. :p

camnjane

Oct 19, 2011
Brisbane
I think that it really is different depending on such a variety of circumstances. Firstly, I agree with a few above that privacy is the number one rule. There should be no peering eyes or access that we as the parent have not authorized.
Then I reckon that it comes down to the child or children and their curiosity and also education of such matters. Two girls or two boys are probably much more comfortable and uninterested in the other than a boy and a girl for instance. As soon as there is awareness then things need to be more closely monitored. And by that I don't mean "adult styled" awareness, just that natural curiosity of What have you got and why am I different?
If the kids are cool with it and they are safe - I say what the heck and let them be free!

SantaClaus

Banned
Nov 4, 2011
I think you should take them shopping for some pretty bathing suits like Babie and all so that they get encouraged to wear them. Soon they will grow up and become too old to swim like that.

Chris Thompson

Nov 5, 2011
Toronto, Canada
Hey guys - my first post here ... anyway I have two daughters who are currently 7 and 4. We don't have a pool but we do have a family cottage. I wouldn't be OK with my 7 year old swimming naked only because the cottage lake is not private enough. Boats drive by, etc.

My 4 year old? No big deal. She's still a baby in my eyes! (so cute).

So short answer is I think it really depends on visibility. Will people see the kids? If not, let them go naked.

But ultimately if it becomes a huge fight, it's best to let them decide. They'll make the right decision. Kids need to learn how to make their own decisions.

Christopher

PF Regular
Jul 27, 2011
New Jersey
i
t's best to let them decide. They'll make the right decision.
Kids need to learn how to make their own decisions.
I couldn't agree more! After all, that's what growing up means.

But the job of a parent is also to protect them from making bad decisions. At the same time we must not (within reason) protect them from the consequences of their decisions or we handicap that maturation process.

This is one of those places where parents must walk the tightrope of too much/too little.

RealDad

Nov 10, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
I remember as a kid being naked a lot. But I also remember being aware that it wasn't something for public consumption, so to speak.

We had a boat and so would generally go nudie out on the ocean. I think I hit about 11 years old and got a bit self conscious. Stopped it for a while and then yearned for it as a grown up.

Both my kids are at the self conscious stage and would rather cover up now. I just let them decide except in some public situations. They were pretty cool when I gave my reasons why. Which was basically telling them my fears and concerns honestly.

JRP88

Banned
Nov 16, 2011
In the privacy of your own home, do whatever you like. In public, wear a swimsuit, of course.