Kindergartener voted out of his class??...

Ari2

PF Fiend
Jan 7, 2008
I can't imagine such a thing:

From TC Palm: St. Luci teacher has voted on whether 5-yo can stay in class

Melissa Barton said she is considering legal action after her son's kindergarten teacher led his classmates to vote him out of class.

After each classmate was allowed to say what they didn't like about Barton's 5-year-old son, Alex, his Morningside Elementary teacher said they were going to take a vote, Barton said.

By a 14 to 2 margin, the class voted him out of the class.

Barton said her son is in the process of being diagnosed with Aspberger's, a type of high-functioning autism. Alex began the testing process in February for an official diagnosis under the suggestion of Morningside Principal Marsha Cully.

More of the story in the link.

Music-dad

PF Addict
Apr 22, 2008
Right here. Right now.
The vote thing is totally wrong, however, I have an Aspergers Nefew, and I agree he should be in a seperate class, he always disrupts the learning process and can be very violent at times, he was sent home 36 days last year, because he was totally out of hand,.

I love him to death, but he really is a handfull, one time in school, he knocked over the photocopier, and trashed the fax machine in the school office.

I teach piano to 3 autistic children, they all are wonderful, and are doing great..they all are in a special class, apart from the other students, and it is working out great!

Teresa

PF Fiend
Feb 2, 2007
Ohio
That's horrible....I'd be taking legal action if that were my child as well. If the teacher thought the child needed to be in a specialized class, there are responsible ways to go about that. You do not encourage his peers to treat him like a social pariah!!!!

Ari2

PF Fiend
Jan 7, 2008
Music-dad said:
The vote thing is totally wrong, however, I have an Aspergers Nefew, and I agree he should be in a seperate class, he always disrupts the learning process and can be very violent at times, he was sent home 36 days last year, because he was totally out of hand,.

I love him to death, but he really is a handfull, one time in school, he knocked over the photocopier, and trashed the fax machine in the school office.

I teach piano to 3 autistic children, they all are wonderful, and are doing great..they all are in a special class, apart from the other students, and it is working out great!
I also have a nephew with Aspergers (he also has ADHD), and I think it depends on the kid. My nephew has an IED and some classes are adjusted for him, but he does fine. He is not disruptive and has never been violent. The biggest problem is trying to get him to connect socially with other kids, but that would happen in any classroom.

ljmahr

PF Fiend
Oct 16, 2007
I do not know that much about Asperger's or autism but to vote a Kindergartener out of a class is horrible. I would definitely find out what legal actions I could take and make sure that teacher had serious consequences.

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
When I taught kindergarten I had a child like this. He was very disruptive, did inappropriate things to the boys in the bathroom, he distracted the entir day. He should be in a seperate room. I would be upset if my child had a child like this in their room who was taking away from her education(I do pay high taxes for her education). So I agree with him moving.
Taking a class vote was the wrong way to handle it because it sounds hurtful. It should have been disgusted with the higer ups and monitored and evaluated.

budnkota

PF Fanatic
Mar 28, 2008
Indiana
For a teacher to even suggest such a thing shows that person should not be teaching education. What makes her think she (or the children) have the authority to make such a decision anyway?
If you are having problems, you take it to the administration and parents. That's what the special education team meetings are FOR. You don't make your classroom a popularity contest.
That's a REAL nice lesson to teach the children. disgusting.

mmynedshlp

PF Enthusiast
May 27, 2008
ooh wow talking about a teacher taking the easy way out.
if she couldn't handle it she should of just said so instead of laying the blame on the other kids.
They probably felt pressured to vote too. Not a good way to teach kids politics. i hope it was not by raising of the hand.
Those kids need to learn that in the work place you can not just vote the one who you dislike out. You have to learn to work with them.
My daughter did bad in school this year because she had a teacher with new methods and her class got unruly and the kids with special needs well he didn't listen to her and constantly interrupted the class.
My daughter was so mad at her teacher and the boy but what was weird at the end of school year she comes home to tell me he is now her boyfriend. ( what real weird he seemed to leave her alone after that and she pulled up her grades) LOL kids:)
anyways I am saying she figured out how to make it work for her so he didnt bother her so much so she could get back to work. No they never did anything I would consider to be boyfriend and girlfriend except holding hands at rollerskating rink on a field trip. They never really spoke or played together at recess. hmm.