Kindergartener's fight for long hair...

HappyMomma

PF Addict
Mar 7, 2008
Wylie, TX
FORT BEND COUNTY (KTRK) -- The parents of a kindergartener in Fort Bend County are fighting for his right to have long hair in school. They say it's about freedom of religion. The Needville Independent School District says it needs proof.

When Adriel Arocha, 5, was born, his father, Kenney, vowed to teach him his heritage.

"We feel that it's important to raise him as Native American until he's able to make a choice," said Kenny.

And part of that heritage meant he would not to cut his son's hair, believing hair holds spiritual meaning.

"It tells us how long I've been here, by your hair, so it's your history," Adriel said.

"It's our tradition it's what we do," Kenney said.

All that was fine until Adriel's parents planned to enroll the five-year-old at Needville Elementary School. Despite promising to keep his hair neatly braided, the district refused to accept him.

"I knew they would probably be a little difficult but I didn't expect it to be this bad," said his mother Michelle Betenbaugh.

District policy clearly states student's hair needs to be kept out of the eyes.
No hair can cover any part of the ear, a standard collar and no tufts or tails are allowed. The superintendent says exceptions are made for religion, but Adriel's parents have yet to provide proof of their beliefs.

"I was trying to find out what recognized religion they are that discusses they cannot cut their hair and the information I received then was basically it's their choice," said Needville ISD Superintendent Curtis Rhodes.

Near the school some residents felt the district was going too far.

"I don't think longer hair than their ears is going to hurt their education," said Needville resident Jana Hausler.

"If it has to do with his religion, I don't think anyone should infringe on their religious rights," resident Jamie Hausler said.

Adriel's parents say they plan to appeal the decision, even if it means going to court.

"You can't deny a person their rights," Kenney said.

As for Adriel himself, he's pretty clear what he wants.

abc13.com: Fort Bend County kindergartener's fight for long hair 7/02/08

oithedad

May 31, 2008
ky
WTF I understand dress codes and hair needing to be neat and clean, But how is long hair going to keep a kid from learning. This is wrong on so many levels An education is a right

Mindy

PF Addict
Feb 20, 2008
QC, Canada
I'm sorry but it's just another way they continue to descriminate against Native Americans.

This is a touchy subject for me, so I won't say much. But this has NOTHING to do with a dress code, I can tell you that. Oh and I suppose they would refuse girls with hair longer than to their ears too?

Absolutely ridiculous. Good lesson for the 5 year old though. Unfortunately it won't be the only time in his life that he is faced with this crap.

Mindy

PF Addict
Feb 20, 2008
QC, Canada
LOL the blond hair would throw you, but I am Native American (or Canadian I guess) ;) Depending on how much of the characteristic you show, the world sees you in whole different ways.

My friend is also native, but she looks really native, her sister like me doesn't really. They go out together, and my friend gets watched and followed everywhere. She actually has to dress up to go to the store lest people think she's a "dirty indian" but her sister who looks more caucasian doesn't have the problem.

It makes me sad. Did you see that little guy? So gorgeous and I think he looks very respectable. And kudos to him for standing up for his rights, no one else will do it for him!

oithedad

May 31, 2008
ky
Its no different then the schools that have tried banning headscarves part of a reliegon and culture niether should be denied

Mindy

PF Addict
Feb 20, 2008
QC, Canada
I agree, same principle. I guess the reason I see it as a little different though, is it's your HAIR! Who cares if it's religion or not, no one has the right to tell you what to do with it! It's racist plain and simple.

HappyMomma

PF Addict
Mar 7, 2008
Wylie, TX
I am actually 1/16 Cherokee.

Mindy, I've heard that racism against Native Americans in Canada is really bad... is that true?

Mindy

PF Addict
Feb 20, 2008
QC, Canada
I wouldn't say any worse than the states. But it's there for sure.

And I think overall racism in Canada is not nearly what it is in some other countries., but then again, I have a white privilege. It's hard to see racism unless you are a minority in this world, which is basically anything but white.

oithedad

May 31, 2008
ky
From my more eastern stand point I havent seen much hate toward NAs but I know out west its bad but I think racism in America is bad all around usally its veiled but its there under the surface.

Trina

PF Addict
Jun 10, 2007
CT
<I>"District policy clearly states student's hair needs to be kept out of the eyes. No hair can cover any part of the ear, a standard collar and no tufts or tails are allowed. </I><I>The superintendent says exceptions are made for religion, but Adriel's parents have yet to provide proof of their beliefs." </I>

Mindy

PF Addict
Feb 20, 2008
QC, Canada
Yeah well that's just it... How are they supposed to provide proof? I'm Native and sorry I have no proof that we keep our hair long for our own reasons. It's traditional. And if there are still people in this world that don't know that, that is their problem, not ours.

Besides, I would bet $100 this wouldn't even be an issue if he was a girl.

Amber

PF Addict
Feb 8, 2008
Knoxville, TN
I've not ran into a lot of discrimination against Native Americans. At least, not in Indiana. Definately not in Tennessee, because a lot of them here are Native American.

Jack's Cherokee. I think Cherokee's are hot. He's got the dark hair, dark eyes. My husband's gorgeous.

But back to the original topic.....I don't think it's a bit fair to not let the little boy keep his hair long. It's not like it keeps him from reading, writing, listening to the teacher. Dress codes are fine....this one is being taken to extremes.

HappyMomma

PF Addict
Mar 7, 2008
Wylie, TX
Yeah, I'm pretty sure the long hair is not a "street gang' affiliation sign. Isn't that where all the current dress codes stem from?

BTW, in Texas and Oklahoma I've not seen much discrimination either.