'Late' birthday party for 7 year old? Should I let mine go?...

jaxscorps

Apr 1, 2014
My 2 daughters (6 & 3) have a bedtime of 7:30pm, since they have to wake up at 5:30 every morning to be dropped off at before school programs/daycare, so my husband & I can get to work on time. I realize this is earlier than normal for a lot of kids, but they have adapted well, and continue to wake up at this time on weekends.

If the stay up late, they are at the point where they still wake up a the same time, and are just crabby all day the next day from not getting enough sleep. The younger one will still take a nap, which will help, but not the older one.

My problem is that some good friends of ours have invited the girls to her daughter's 7th birthday party which will be on a Friday night from 7:30-9:30pm. Because they are good friends, and our kids just love to play together, I want to let mine go, however I don't want them to ruin the party should they go into meltdown mode from being overtired and staying up so long after their normal bedtime.

My husband thinks if we let either of them go, it would just be the 6 year old, and keep the younger at home. I kind of think our younger one would do better, since she still gets a 2 hour nap at daycare and usually takes a longer time to fall asleep at night anyway. So if we take one, why not take both? But then again, do I really want to deal with tired, crabby kids all day on Saturday?

Any thoughts/ideas? (Oh, btw, they party is at an ice skating rink, which neither of my kids have been to before. I don't know if that would help or hurt the situation any.)

cybele

PF Addict
Feb 27, 2012
Australia
I would, it's a friday night, it's not like there is school the next day. It's also not a regular thing.

akmom

PF Fiend
May 22, 2012
United States
Are you going to be present for the party? (I assume so, since you are considering bringing a three-year-old.) If so, you can always take the kids home early if you see that they are really getting tired.

I don't think a three-year-old would have much fun at an ice rink. In my experience, they typically don't have skate rentals that small. Plus they will need someone to hold their hand the first couple of times.

The seven-year-old might have fun, even if she's never ice skated. Just make sure she has warm clothes and knee pads, because there will be lots of falling! (And lace the skates all the way to the top, for good ankle support.)