Laundry Questions...

ZionsRodeVos

PF Regular
Apr 5, 2008
Woodbridge, Virginia
I would have thought by now I'd know everything I need to about washing clothes since I've been doing it almost on a daily basis now for about 8 or so years now (that's how long I've been separated/divorced).

What I am finding though is that after I have washed and dried a load of whites or a load of towels and sometimes shirts from a colored load that they smell foul. I'm guessing it is because loads sometimes sit in the washer for hours and/or don't get fully dry in the dryer and sit kind of wet for hours before I restart the dryer. The way my schedule and memory and what ever else has changed that part of doing laundry has changed so I need to find a way to eliminate this.

Will it be enough to put something along with the laundry detergent in the washer? Or using some no cling sheet with scent in the dryer or both?

Or do I just have to find a better way to remember to move clothes from the washer to the dryer and ensure the clothes are dry?

Why is it that blankets and jeans that are dried with a full load seem to take more then 70 minutes (always the max time I ever seem to see on a dryer) to dry even when the lint filter is empty?

Can't someone make a dryer that will dry for more than 70 minutes or is there some other setting I can change to make sure the dryer runs until the clothes are really completely dry?

cybele

PF Addict
Feb 27, 2012
Australia
I don't think there is anything you can do about the smell other then remembering to take them out.

Blankets and jeans take longer because the fabric is heavier so they retain more water.

Not helpful but my dryer can run for up to 120mins... so someone has invented it. You might have to play around with your settings.

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
The obvious answer is to not leave wet laundry in the machines, especially during the summer cause they do get pretty nasty smelling. If you do add about a cup of vinegar to the load and that should take care of it, fabric sheets will also help.

Blankets and jeans do take longer but not much longer then a 'smaller' load, it's possible your heater core is starting to die. there an easy DIY.

ZionsRodeVos

PF Regular
Apr 5, 2008
Woodbridge, Virginia
Thanks.

My loads are pretty big as I like to wash as much as possible in one load to save time since it takes a while to wash and dry.

The dryer is new so I doubt it has a problem yet. I've had the same problem with dryers drying cloths with my two previous dryers also.

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
I should have remembered that your dryers were pretty new.....duh!

Smaller loads, believe it or not it goes a lot quicker that way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk and it's a pain lol

stjohnjulie

PF Addict
Aug 9, 2010
St. John, VI
The smell and the dry time probably has to do with how big the loads are. The clothes can't really get clean unless they have room to move around a lot in the washer. So the clothes are still dirty... and sit for awhile... have time to grow some smelly stuff. Then the dryer can't efficiently dry the clothes because there is no room for them to tumble around. After years of trying to do the same thing you are doing I learned that smaller loads really are the best way to go. Clothes get clean, look and smell better, and the appliances don't have to over work and burn out before their time. Do smaller loads and it shouldn't matter as much when you don't remember to get them into the dryer right away. From what you are saying, you probably want to use the same load size, but use 1/2 to 2/3 of the amount of clothes you are currently putting in.

You can also (and maybe should) get a cleaner for the washer. They have stuff on the market now for that. I guess it's a problem with several of the high efficiency washers out there. I think Tide makes something.

I am all excited because we have a washer at home again. No dryer, but we line dry. It's nice not having to go to the laundry-mat to get the job done.

akmom

PF Fiend
May 22, 2012
United States
I hate my high-efficiency washer for the same reason. A few times a year I take my clothes over to my parents' ancient top loader to get them really clean. I never thought about giving them space to wash... I just figured they'd rub against each other and get clean. Maybe I'll try that too!

Have you tried running the extra rinse cycle, or adding borax or washing soda (not baking soda) to the wash? That helped get them really clean back when I cloth diapered.

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
I think the smell comes from being in the washer and or dryer too long damp, and dryer cheets are only going to mask the problem.

I'd suggest smaller loads.

Further I'd suggest you look into how clean yor dryver vent tube is. They sell brushed on flexible rods for cleanning these. I've found cleaning them makes a HUGE difference in drying time. If you're having the same problem with more than one machine, the two constants are load size and the dryer vent they are attached to.

With my old dryer, when a load of towels or jeans wouldn't get dry on a full cycle (like 70 minutes) I'd clean the dryer vent and those babies are done in 45...

Our HE washer, sits open (the door actually has a stop just an inch or so open, between loads so it can dry out and we don't have the typical musty washer problem other HE users compalin about.

ZionsRodeVos

PF Regular
Apr 5, 2008
Woodbridge, Virginia
I recently bought a softener for in the washer and the sheets for in the dryer.

I think most of the time the washer is 2/3 full. I will probably try smaller loads but the thing I don't get is if the washer and dryer can't handle as much clothes as you can fit in them, why make them so big?

I don't use an extra rinse cycle because then it would take even longer for the washer to finish. In fact I looked recently to see if there was a setting I could use to make the washer take less time to wash and rinse the clothes. I don't think we get our clothes that dirty and am thinking that it is simply the sitting damp that makes them stink.

If I am not using enough laundry detergent would that make a difference. I usually use less than what is recommended on the bottle.

stjohnjulie

PF Addict
Aug 9, 2010
St. John, VI
If you think about it... if you pack your machine with clothes, you are leaving less room for water. So you are trying to wash more with less water. There has to be enough water in the machine that it can clean the clothes and for them to move around so the water and detergent can get in all parts of the clothes. If you don't have a separate compartment that you put the detergent into, fill the washer and add the soap before you put the clothes in.

And IADad is totally correct. Cleaning the trap and vents on the dryer on a regular basis cuts drying time (and therefore cost) down significantly. On darks and towels I usually give an extra spin as well which helps.

stjohnjulie

PF Addict
Aug 9, 2010
St. John, VI
:) I guess that is only going to work with a top loader. All of the front loaders that I've used have the dispenser for the soap. I like the top load machines better. Old fashioned I guess!