Letting toddlers win....how much?...

FooserX

PF Addict
Jul 11, 2007
Denver
My son is 4 and a half, and we love playing games.

Checkers, Candyland, Uno, Connect 4, Stratego, etc.

I was wondering...because I sometimes second guess myself - how often do you guys let your kids win at things? My wife lets our son win a lot. (It really pisses me off when we're playing Uno, and she plays against me)

Obviously the look on his face and his reaction is priceless...even if he can be a little bit of a bad winner ("Why did you play that card? You shouldn't have done that, Papi!" lol...because I'm LETTING YOU WIN!!!!!!)

Anyway...I sometimes let him win, just to give him encouragement, but more often than not, I beat him, and show him why I did along the way. Still...I'm wondering if I need to let him win more.

What do you guys with older kids think? Do kids need to experience losing and winning....or is winning more often better for their confidence at this stage?

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
we don't let Debralyn win. We don't always make the best moves along the game so we give her a fighting chance but I don't ever flat out let her win. Sometimes she wins sometimes not but we also don't let her be a sour loser

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
I let my kids win but I do win more so they have something to look forward to when they become a grown-up. All's fair in tic tac toe though! They kick my butt.
I noticed my son being a little jackhole when he would be losing to someone in video games. I had to nip that one in the bud right away. I explained that no one would want to play with him acting like that. He's still a sore loser which makes it fun to beat him!! hahaha Hopefully in time he'll learn its about the ride and the fun getting there :)

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
I think the best way to do it, is let them win on occasion. But more often then not beat them. But don' tbe a sore winner either. Ya know?
My brother was an only child until we were 4 (step brothers) but his grandparents and mom ALWAYS let that brat winl lol. All it did when we came around is make him unbearable to play with. He expected to win at everything every time. He would get sooo mad and through the board or what not.

PreSchool Mama

PF Enthusiast
Jan 14, 2008
It's not a great idea to let him win every single time, but you could occasionally let him taste victory! You don't him thinking winning comes easy - it doesn't. Letting him win all the time doesn't challenge him to do better.

jenilouise

PF Addict
Oct 20, 2007
Oregon
It's about finding the right balance so they become neither sore winners or sore losers. I never really let the kids win I did like Fallon and gave them a fighting chance. Sometimes they win and other times they don't.