Looking for advice...

smorkette

Apr 29, 2012
<t>First, a little background info. I have 3 daughters. My oldest is 9 and has high functioning autism. My middle is 7 and my youngest is 2. I worry about my oldest for obvious reason, but it is actually my middle daughter that causes me the most concern sometimes. She now understands that her big sister is "different". She becomes extremely annoyed and jealous of her. I have noticed this problem for a couple of years. I ever tried to take her to a counselor, but she essentially told me, "You must be parenting wrong". She gave me a parenting book to read and sent me on my way. My daughter does well in school and when she is with a sitter. The only time there seem to be any issues is at home. (Which is probably why the counselor handled it the way that she did). <br/>
<br/>
The most recent example of a problem occurred last night. My mother and sister-n-law came for a visit. My 7 year and her aunt were playing the Wii. Then my oldest wanted a turn. I said ok, finish up your game then get to bed; I had the 7 year old go get ready for bed at that time. She was furious and insisted that her sister got my time. I pointed out to her that she played for twice as long, but there was no convincing her. <br/>
<br/>
I know that some of that is typical sibling stuff, but there is a definite difference in the way that she treats her big sister vs. her little sister. She goes to bed at least 4 nights a week crying about something. Most of the time it is over something very silly, like me telling her to do something she doesn’t want to do. But I know that there is a deeper cause. I sat in her room for 40 minutes last night trying to get her to tell me what was wrong and all she could say is "I don't know". I finally left when I couldn’t control my crying. It breaks my heart to see her so sad. I know it has to be hard to be the big sister FOR your big sister, but I am at a loss. She seems so unhappy sometimes. Any suggestions?</t>

bssage

Super Moderator
Oct 20, 2008
Iowa
I will try and squeeze this in between meltdowns.

I debated amongst myself whether or not to move this to special needs. I think this is where it belongs. Sure there are plenty of jealousy issues among mainline siblings. But I think different strategies are available for them.

I have a similar problem. My advantage over your situation is that my son (mainstream) is older than my daughter (Autistic). So he is possibly better able to understand that "special needs" means <U>special needs</U>. This is a topic we cover on a fairly frequent basis.

The sad reality is that it absolutely is not fair. It likely never will be fair. I spend a significant amount of time reinforcing this. Explaining how proud. How everyone understands that it is not fair. And never pass up the opportunity to give him attention when possible. I spend some time on the advantages he has and will have in life and that while the extra attention is given her needs. That extra attention is not likely to ever bring her the advantages he has.

I'm am not sure the comprehension of 7 yr old. What we have done all along is not only give him that talk. But encourage the family and extended family to show some recognition for his effort and help in understanding.

It may not seem like much to us. But a word from Grandma, Grandpa, or Aunts and Uncles goes a long way. And to a similar extent your asking for them to help highlights what others who are not in this situation may not put to much consideration into.

I also believe doing this during time when it is not an issue helps. I do not wait for him to be down in the dumps. Or lose the battle of daddy "I need you first". I have a tendency to exploit the thoughtful calm moods of the kids to support what I believe is inevitable.

Thats all I got for now. Maybe I will be able to exploit my calm, thoughtful mood if I ever have another one to reply some more.

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
Really this (without being in your home) sounds like middle daughter woes. She's not as old as her older sister, she's not little like that baby. She is somewhere in between.

I have the exact same thing happen in my family of 8, and an older son who has learning disabilities and bi-polar. Maybe try to set up time where it is just you and her. Do the same for all of them really. I used to do this with my kids and it worked great in helping stop the "Oh woe is me" attitude that a lot of them would get.

smorkette

Apr 29, 2012
Thank you for the replies. I do think that the age has a lot to do with the problem. My middle daughter seems to be a naturally "emotional" child. We do mommy daughter days, daddy daughter days and for the last 2 years I have pulled her out of school a little early on her b-day so that she and I could go for a mani/pedi. We work really hard to make her see how special she is, but it just doesn't seem to help :( I am a middle child too so I understand the middle child woes all too well! This really feels like something more to me. I'm hoping as she gets older, she'll be able to understand a little better. Keep your fingers crossed for me![/COLOR]