Make your child feel loved...

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
Children know they are loved by your everyday actions. They are born feeling loved and so long as you provide them with the tools to grow and be strong people, they will just know they are loved. You don't need to do anything special.

singledad

PF Addict
Oct 26, 2009
South Africa
Yes - absolutely tell him. But also show him. My DD loves being hugged/held, and if I don't spend enough time with her (as in getting down on the floor with her and giving her 100% of my attention) she becomes really difficult. (ie - pay attention to him)

Antoinette

PF Addict
Mar 2, 2010
Australia
agreed. everything you do every day should show your child they are loved. every action you do should be re enforcing that to them... that's what parenthood is.

sbattisti

PF Fanatic
Jun 14, 2010
Control your temper.

Nothing hurts your child's belief in your love more than anger, especially if it's poorly-controlled.

jeysndvk

Dec 29, 2010
New Zealand
Telling them you love them does'nt always make them believe that you. You know anyone can say that you love them and anyone can give you hugs but sometimes thats not enough, especially when you're a young child. I'm not saying to stop hugging them and telling them you love them, I'm just saying that some children need more then that like spending quality time with them when ever you can, preferbly everyday, making them the center of your attention for some part of your day. Quality time I think is the best because good memories will never fade.

Satori

PF Enthusiast
Dec 30, 2010
Australia
I have to agree with jeysndvk. Parental love means more than hugs and kisses. Kids know intuitively the genuine love of a parent from one who couldn't care less. This is why we have kids who can't wait to get out the door after school and others who love to be around when you're old and weak. I suppose it all comes down to the amount of love and attention they remember from childhood. Cheers.

beaniebaby11

Jan 8, 2011
Canada
I think that a child feels loved when their parents show interest in their lives. Giving them everything they need for success in the lives as they grow. Boundaries, rules, limits, attention, praise, outings, cuddles, and ofcoarse telling them that they are loved.

If you have healthy relationships with the people in your life, then you teach your child about healthy relationships too.

Everything that you postively teach your child helps them to feel that they are loved, because you show that you only want the best for them.

BrownDog52469

Jan 11, 2011
"tell him everyday"...I agree, but would add SHOW him everyday. I work long hours, but nevertheless I try to have at least one quality interaction with them everyday. Such as just lying together on the couch watching his favorite show with him. Lying in bed and talking about "things". Wrestling on the floor. Your actions speak louder than your words.

dmax

Jan 17, 2011
uk
i just encourage my wife ( who is from thailand) to tell my baby girl that we love her, i tell my baby i love her every day, as i say my wife is thai and thai people do not do this so i just try teach her the western ways