Managing home videos...

idanzalz

Apr 20, 2011
Hi,
in these past months I have accumulated a HUGE amount of home videos of my beloved offspring. problem is - what can I do with it???
Isn't there some software or whatever that can create summarized videos (little junior's best moments?) or something like that, so I can post them online. I will be surprised if there is nothing like that since it seems like a trivial need to me but I couldn't find it on Google. Anyone knows something like that?

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
I put my clips together using Windows Movie Maker and I put a song with it, like a music video haha. :) That's always fun. Its cool to watch when you're all done.

Dadu2004

PF Visionary
May 16, 2008
Cleveland, OH
Windows Movie Maker is free assuming you're running any version of Windows. It's very limited though. I prefer Pinnacle Studio.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Yes it is very limited and its really not that great of a program lol. I would LOVE to get something better. WMV just came with my computer! :p

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
I've used WMM a couple of times, mostly to make smaller versions of stuff to email. I find it a little non-intuitive to use, but yes, it comes with windows...

Jeremy+3

PF Addict
Apr 18, 2009
Nottinghamshire
If you don't have any programs or you don't want to buy any you can make some clips in powerpoint and then put them into a moviemaker video, so you can have a clip and then say a caption coming in, or another image etc

teenage_parent

PF Enthusiast
Apr 15, 2011
if you're looking for something automated, there isn't any. there is some for photos but for vidoes, there is no program that will automatically edit it for you.

but there are simple programs like windows movie maker or premiere, if you have a mac, try final cut pro. it will probably take you a day or two to get used to it.

Stockton2007

May 24, 2011
i agree with the last post. Just find a program that works on your computer. final cut pro is great if you have a mac.

Incogneato

PF Fanatic
Feb 9, 2011
It depends on how much work you're looking to do and how nice of a finished product you're looking for, but I use Sony Vegas Pro. It has a bit of a learning curve but once you get used to it, it's absolutely amazing.

spitfirex

May 30, 2011
I usually use imovie, but I found out when buying cameras, the software they bundle although basic is very easy to use.

nhendric

Oct 20, 2011
Any ideas on how to convert old video tapes onto cd's? My father used his video camera from the 80's with the smaller vhs tapes, and I'm wondering if there's a way to convert them and put them on my computer.

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
nhendric said:
Any ideas on how to convert old video tapes onto cd's? My father used his video camera from the 80's with the smaller vhs tapes, and I'm wondering if there's a way to convert them and put them on my computer.
you can get video capture devices that have RCA plugs on one end and USB on the other, some come with software or there's some free software around if you google "VHS to computer"

Chris Thompson

Nov 5, 2011
Toronto, Canada
I'm a Mac user and I am really in love with the iMovie software that comes with the Mac OS.

Also, for storage I have an external 2 TB hard drive built into a device called a "time capsule". It sits right beside my iMac and also serves as my Wi-Fi router. All my computers backup to it automatically.

I SHOULD be burning my content to DVD rom and storing it offsite (like at my inlaws, or whatever) for added protection. If there was ever a fire I'd lose my precious memories. I don't want that.

You can also dump your important files into "the cloud", by getting a hosting account with Amazon, or DropBox, etc. But it isn't practical for all of your home HD movies.

taylorburton

Nov 23, 2011
Boise, ID
I use iMovie with my Mac to mess around with videos and it works great. Plus it has features for me to quickly add it to YouTube or post it on my Facebook.

DFWRusty

PF Regular
Nov 21, 2011
TX
I use Roxio premiere 2011 HD! It is fairly simple to use, and takes no time to learn the basics. Another top feature is that you can burn blu-ray discs with your home videos on them, for a true HD experience of your home vids!