Managing work and kids...

akmom

PF Fiend
May 22, 2012
United States
I think you both can staggered your work schedules - for instance, if your husband works daytime hours and is home after school and in the evening, you can take a shift of 4:00 p.m. to midnight.
That would indeed be ideal, but unfortunately I know a lot of people don't have control over their schedules like that. I know my husband and I tried that early in our marriage, but his employer was not flexible like that. Since he generally worked nights, I took a part-time day job that was walking distance from our apartment. I thought it would be perfect. But his boss wrote their schedule on a weekly basis, and there was no guarantee what shift he would get, or even how many hours. (He requested full time but was only guaranteed 30-40 hours). So the weeks he got only 30... were hard on the finances. She did not accommodate his requests for consistency in scheduling, and so our schedules would often overlap. If you didn't want to be called in for a certain period of day, then you had to request it as vacation time or lose those hours. So there would literally be a 2-hour "overlap" in our schedules once or twice a week, and that made it impossible to have round-the-clock care for our newborn. So we couldn't both work. I quit because he found another job and we had to move.

So I've pretty much been waiting to find a job where we could have alternating schedules, or that would pay enough to justify daycare. This is the first one. I work on a contractual basis, and there isn't much work in the winter, so I've had to hire babysitters so far. None of the daycare centers accept kids sporadically! But that also means I haven't really faced the challenges of two working parents yet. We shall see how it goes this summer...

cybele

PF Addict
Feb 27, 2012
Australia
Hey, just had a thought, have you ever seen the shows Jamie's 30 minute meals and Jamie's 15 minute meals?

If not, you should youtube them. (I'm sitting here watching 15 minute meals and I just jumped up and said "AKMOM!" and now everyone is looking at me like I'm nuts)

scarletjones

Banned
Apr 10, 2013
California
Managing work and kids simultaneously is a tough task for both mom and dad but a tougher task for moms. At growing age kids need your attention so that they spend their time in some creative or productive work. So what I did was got my kid admitted in various activity classes like dancing, arts, craft. This way she stayed busy while I wasn't at home and kept learning new things daily.

Mom2all

PF Fiend
Nov 25, 2009
Eastern North Carolina, USA
cybele said:
SingleDad feels the need to hand in his man-card, while women around the world are swooning at the thought of such a domesticated man.
agreed.

I am spoiled. I work 50+ hours a week so my darling does most everything around the house. I am quite spoiled. When I am home its only to sleep and spend time with the family.. and do my crafts. I'm not proud about that. :eek:

But there was a time.. years ago.. it was just me and my 3 children.. and during those years its was very different. My daughter oldest son where in high school and the youngest was very young. I had not time at all to do anything for myself. However.. it worked.

One of the things that I did learn was to cook double. I worked 12 hour shifts, so I only worked 15 days a month. I cooked double of what ever I made and froze it for the days I was working and didn't have time to cook. Crockpot's are wonderful too.

I put a load of clothes in every day before I went to bed, and then dried them when I woke up, folded them when I came back home. Laundry didn't get away from me that way and it only took 3 minutes for each time I went into the laundry room.

I became fast friends with the parents on the kids sports teams. When I was off, I carried their kids home after games and practices. So that when I was working and couldn't, someone would do me the same favor.

The most important thing I remember is this. Your house doesn't have to be perfect. Chances are, working like that it won't be. But.. your kids grow up fast. I left hand prints on the storm door in favor of spending the weekends off doing fun things with the kids.. no matter what it was. THEY GROW SO FAST. Take any extra time playing with them.

akmom

PF Fiend
May 22, 2012
United States
Thanks guys. I tend to let the laundry accumulate and then stay up all night once a week getting it done. But that one load per day idea sounds like exactly what would work here. I'm a night owl, so when I'm busy I tend to steal a few hours from the night, but I suffer in the morning...

I always forget about the crock pot! I guess I just need to figure out more meals I can make in it. I've really only ever used it for roasts, and we just don't eat roasts very much.

sandra063

Apr 30, 2013
yea...I put my kids in front of my career and decided to leave after 8 years with my company....sometimes when I think of it, I could have achieved so much more with my life..

Mom2all

PF Fiend
Nov 25, 2009
Crock pot idea.. easy and good.. meat balls... one big can of cream of mushroom soup.. one stick of cream cheese... just throw in.. turn it on and let it cook all day.. cook egg noodles when you get home and ba-baaam. Every one thinks I worked in the kitchen all day and it took 5 minutes of my time. They love it. You can even use the pre-made meat balls.

cybele

PF Addict
Feb 27, 2012
Australia
Okay, more pinterest inspired questions from me about food.

What is the deal with using canned mushroom soup as an ingredient? Is that a common thing in America?

Also, is there anything that a stick of cream cheese does not end up in when we are talking about slow cooking?

Also, when you say a 'stick' of cream cheese... does cream cheese literally come in a stick?

Mom2all

PF Fiend
Nov 25, 2009
:D I forget that the whole world doesn't cook the same! I think cream of mushroom or chicken does really go in just about anything.. or could. And I'm not sure that the cream cheese stick is called.. thats just what I call it.. but its really more of a chunk. And after I wrote this..it made me hungry and I made it today. :D

akmom

PF Fiend
May 22, 2012
United States
The only thing I use cream-of-mushroom in is green bean casserole. But I have my own version which is much more mushroomy than the canned soup. (I use truffle oil and sherry.) I've never seen a crock pot recipe with cream cheese, but I bet it's delicious! I think Americans do tend to eat a lot of rich foods. I developed a dairy intolerance during one of my pregnancies, and it was really hard to find foods I could eat. We went Thai for awhile. I ended up using a lot of coconut milk, but since it's not a perfect substitute for milk, it kind of limited what I could cook.

We tend to eat less of the heavy cream-based recipes now and go heavier on the vegetables. I like recipes with a lot of cumin, coriander, thyme, rosemary, oregano, or nutmeg.

Last edited:

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
Mom2all said:
Crock pot idea.. easy and good.. meat balls... one big can of cream of mushroom soup.. one stick of cream cheese... just throw in.. turn it on and let it cook all day.. cook egg noodles when you get home and ba-baaam. Every one thinks I worked in the kitchen all day and it took 5 minutes of my time. They love it. You can even use the pre-made meat balls.
I'm going to be trying this, always looking for things to put in the crock pot, especially in the summer months when I don't want to heat up the house.

cybele said:
What is the deal with using canned mushroom soup as an ingredient? Is that a common thing in America?
I think a lot of recipes call for it, but I haven't found very many people who actually use these recipes on a day to day bases, maybe once a month.

cybele said:
Also, is there anything that a stick of cream cheese does not end up in when we are talking about slow cooking?
Until today, I've never seen a crock pot recipe that call's for cream cheese, which I should add I could just eat out of the package lol. That's why this recipe caught my attention.

cybele said:
Also, when you say a 'stick' of cream cheese... does cream cheese literally come in a stick?
It's more like a brick then a stick :p

Ackmom, all those quotes were just for you LMBO! :D

akmom

PF Fiend
May 22, 2012
United States
I don't mind the quotes when they're broken up! It's the whole repeat-everything-you-just-said in one giant block before responding that bothers me.

Someday they're going to make a website where you type in all the groceries in your house and it generates recipes for you. Each ingredient would be programmed in as essential or optional, so you wouldn't miss out on something just because you didn't have pepper at the moment. It would also have substitutions programmed in. So... if the recipe calls for butter but you have margarine, it would still bring up that recipe. Unless it was a recipe for which margarine was not a substitute (like bread). Search results could be sorted by preparation time.

ETA: The advanced version of this theoretical website would recognize if you had the basic ingredients to "make" a missing ingredient. For example, if you didn't have cream-of-mushroom, but you had butter, flour, milk, chicken stock and mushrooms, then it would show you the recipe with the make-it-yourself substitution.

Last edited:

akmom

PF Fiend
May 22, 2012
United States
I had searched for such a website before, without success. But now that it's back on my mind, I looked again, and I think I've found a winner. It's not perfect, but it seems to have all the major ingredients. And it even generates recipes that you almost have all the ingredients for. It shows that you have 80% of the ingredients, for example, and then a checklist so you can see what you're missing. Not bad! recipematcher.com

fingertooth

Oct 31, 2015
If you're low on time, these are great crafts you can do with your kids. Take a little time each evening to work on a project.
[/url]
https://www.facebook.com/Kids-WoodCraft-399610830235620/?fref=ts[/url]

babybibsplus

PF Enthusiast
Jan 25, 2016
As far as dinner, I used a crock pot a lot. Also I would smoke or grill a lot of meat on the weekends and freeze it, then heat it up with a salad or quick vegetable for dinner. Also, my kids helped to cook when they were old enough.