Masterbating...

Jetsmell

Sep 17, 2011
My Son is twenty two months old. He enjoys masturbating , has done so over the past few months. When he's in the tub, in bed and even playing . I know that children like to explore, but this seems excessive to me. Any ideas? :confused:

MomoJA

PF Fiend
Feb 18, 2011
My nephew has been doing this since he was about 10 months old, maybe a little older. As soon as he could reach down there when his diaper was being changed he started pulling at it. When he was still in diapers he would walk around with his hands in his pants and would constantly wet himself because his penis was pulled out of his diaper. He is now 3.5 and he's still at it.

Now that's excessive. Not that I'm suggesting anything is wrong with him.

My sister worried he was a pervert. Like I told her, there is nothing sexual in what he is doing. It feels good to him, like tickling, rubbing his back, snuggling.

These days it's mostly when he's tired or taking a bath or naked after a bath.

mommybree

Nov 18, 2011
Michigan, USA
In the past 3 and a half years I have only caught my son at this activity once. My daughter(4) and stepdaughter(3) on the other hand have to frequently be reminded that that is a private activity and inappropriate for public settings such as school and grocery stores.

LucidKitty

PF Regular
Feb 25, 2012
This is very normal as most babies/toddlers do this as they discover themselves. You have to understand too that this is not masturbation as you and i see it. Its more of a tension reliever to a child that feels good is all. Generally in the next few years most kids stop until they get older.

BigHeadDad

Feb 26, 2012
Would you call it "masturbating" or would you classify it as "exploring"?
My son doesnt bother much and never really has. He is 8 now. My daughter is almost 4 and she has to be warned more often then not that its a private place and not open for public exploration. :)

LucidKitty

PF Regular
Feb 25, 2012
Dad i think at any age they are playing down there and it's obvious they are enjoying it counts as masturbation.

cybele

PF Addict
Feb 27, 2012
Australia
I disagree with that, I think were very quick to jump to the sexual meaning.

When babies discover their feet they play with them, are fascinated by them, put them in their mouthes, that dosent mean they have a foot fetish, it just means that they have found their feet.

Same goes for genitals, they have found them, so they play with them, they dont know that in adult world its seen as something else.

BigHeadDad

Feb 26, 2012
LucidKitty said:
Dad i think at any age they are playing down there and it's obvious they are enjoying it counts as masturbation.
Im not sure.
Im not sure how developed things are to the point of "enjoyment" as far as bringing a sensation that would lead you to want to keep doing it.
I think to a little guy its just an odd flap of skin that he can knock around. I read somewhere, some time ago even before I had kids, that the sensation we might feel and one a toddler might feel cant even be compared.

My son never went through this phase and I dont think I did either.. so its hard to relate. But I am a guy.. and I just dont think it works that way.

That being said- Guys are constantly grabbing their crotch for no good reason. Maybe its instinct, I dont know. Its never been my thing.