MATH - the other 4 letter word...

artmom

PF Fanatic
Feb 26, 2015
Canada
Okay, so math is just short of mathematics.
Anyways, despite me being the least qualified to teach math ( I have dyscalculia, which is a numeric version of dyslexia) , my daughter is stressed out now that she's learning fractions. I WAS excited about teaching her the basic fundamentals of fractions to see where she's at. That is until she gave me a seemingly simple equation: 1.9.
"Mom, I need to figure out how to turn that into a fraction."
:err: I don't even know where to start on that one.
My original idea was that 1.9 is 1/9 or maybe 1 1/9. I don't know.

So, just like with everything I'm stumped on I turned to the good ol' world wide web. The internet was a help alright. It helped me realize I was way off on that idea and I still can't explain how to get to the solution. Then I started to wonder if it's really allowing my daughter and myself to learn to multiply and divide fractions by looking up the answers with just a click of the mouse.
I don't know in what kind of situation it's going to be handy to know how to convert a decimal into a fraction and multiply and divide them. It seems as about as useless as long division, which one of my teachers ranted about not enough people knowing how to do.

I am even more perplexed with directions at this so-called site: https://www.mathsisfun.com/converting-fractions-decimals.html[/URL]

<H3>To convert a Fraction to a Decimal manually, follow these steps:
<i>
</i>
<LIST>

• <LI>
  • Step 1: Find a number you can multiply by the bottom of the fraction to make it 10, or 100, or 1000, or any 1 followed by 0s.</LI>
    <LI>
  • Step 2: Multiply both top and bottom by that number.</LI>
    <LI>
  • Step 3. Then write down just the top number, putting the decimal point in the correct spot (one space from the right hand side for every zero in the bottom number)</LI>
</LIST>
&lt;/H3&gt;
I was just going to bake a pie. :veryconfused:

Thoughts?

Last edited:

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
I use this site as part of my homeschooling curriculum. He's really good about breaking it down, and there are little quizzes kids can take at the end.

https://www.khanacademy.org/math/arithmetic/fraction-arithmetic[/URL]