Medicating Children to control their behavior....

jtee

Banned
Jun 24, 2007
This is from PBS Frontline series where they investigated the pro/cons for medicating kids to control various behavior problems. In some case you can see that medication is the parent's last and only hope, in other cases, parents want to drug their normal, yet very active kids, simply to compensate for their lack of patiences and parenting skills.

PBS - frontline: medicating kids: watch the program

HappyMomma

PF Addict
Mar 7, 2008
Wylie, TX
Jtee, you really know how to push my buttons. This is an issue I feel pretty stongly about.

I do believe there are cases where medication is truly needed, but I also feel medication is grossly over-prescribed. Messing with children's brain chemistry is a very dangerous thing.

Is there a transcript of this? I don't have sound on my work computer.

jtee

Banned
Jun 24, 2007
I'll see if I can find a transcript. I watched it on PBS a few nights ago, so you might be able to find airing locally. Otherwise, the entire program can be viewed on-line.

HappyMomma

PF Addict
Mar 7, 2008
Wylie, TX
I may have to watch it when I get home.

Just recently (sparked from a discussion in another thread) I compiled a list of violent crimes (mainly school shootings) perpertrated by children and googled to find how many of those children were on psyche drugs... Pretty scary stuff.

budnkota

PF Fanatic
Mar 28, 2008
Indiana
there are definately a lot of instances where kids are being drugged because it is easier for mommy and daddy (and the teachers), but there are also a lot of kids who seriously need this stuff to be able to function.

Remember my post about the dead babies? Guess who's father was on behavior meds and apparently didn't take them?

I think we also need to figure out what is causing these problems in the first place, because I don't remember there being any of these kids when I was in school (except my brother, who was very premature and had some birth trauma). Something's changed in our world. and I tend to think it's a combination of many factors that are leading to this problem... which then means it's harder to pinpoint..

jtee

Banned
Jun 24, 2007
The gist of what frontline had to say was that even the best doctors have no idea how mood & behavior drugs will effect kids long terms because the brain is still developing. In 20 years, we'll likely know that certain drugs have serious long term side effects.

I don't like the use of drugs, but there are very good parents who are dealing with serious/extreme behavior problems where the right drug is their only hope for their child to have life that doesn't require 24 hour monitoring, and that includes sleeping in the same room with the doors locked and unbreakable windows.

HappyMomma

PF Addict
Mar 7, 2008
Wylie, TX
jtee said:
I don't like the use of drugs, but there are very good parents who are dealing with serious/extreme behavior problems where the right drug is their only hope for their child to have life that doesn't require 24 hour monitoring, and that includes sleeping in the same room with the doors locked and unbreable windows.
I completely agree that there are cases that require medication. I met a girl that truly had ADHD and it was absolutely heartbreaking. It is very apparent when there is a true problem. Upon talking with her mother, I found that she was on meds and off meds and neither was really the best solution. She was really struggling with how to get the condition under control.

At the same time, I also see so many that are prescribed at the drop of a hat... before trying counseling... before trying a change in diet... before ruling out other factors. Including school systems declaring "your child gets meds or they don't come back to school." Now that frightens me.

jtee

Banned
Jun 24, 2007
HappyMomma said:
At the same time, I also see so many that are prescribed at the drop of a hat... before trying counseling... before trying a change in diet... before ruling out other factors. Including school systems declaring "your child gets meds or they don't come back to school." Now that frightens me.
I hope you have a chance to watch the frontline episode because the deal with issue, and you are correct, some parent and doctors are way to quick to start giving kids pills because it is quicker and simpler.

Even if a drug works, I still wonder if it right choice when a non drug options have not been tried. What I don't like a about drugs is that it stops behavior and the child then doesn't develope the skills\ability to control that behavior without the use of drugs. Most people learn how to deal with stress/problems because they had to deal with it. Giving kids drugs (other than extreme cases) can keep kids from developing self control and other skills.

HappyMomma

PF Addict
Mar 7, 2008
Wylie, TX
Very good point. Coping skills are extremely important in life.

You know the ironic thing is that in the cases where the parents just don't want to deal with the behavior so they medicate them are very likely causing the problem by not spending time with them, giving them enough attention, etc.

jtee

Banned
Jun 24, 2007
If you want to hear some parents telling their personal stories about dealing with children who have extreme behavioral problems, this is probably the best you'll find on the internet. It's dedicated parents who never quit while living a nightmare day after day, year after year.

You can stream it for free, or pay $1 and download the mp3.

This American Life

Lissa

PF Visionary
Sep 12, 2007
I think <I>the parents</I> who think their kids should be on medication should be on medication.

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
Alot of parents don't want to be bothered by their children and medicate them instead of working with them. I would never medicate my children for adhd. I believe there is always a way to communicate you just have to be persistant and find that way.
I agree that alot of the medications can have long term effects neurologically and a brain can depend so much on the drug that it can not function properly if taken off the meds so adults end up falling over the deep end.
I don't know what I would do in those situations but I do know I would try everything under the sun to help my child without medication first.

Teresa

PF Fiend
Feb 2, 2007
Ohio
HappyMomma said:
I completely agree that there are cases that require medication. I met a girl that truly had ADHD and it was absolutely heartbreaking. It is very apparent when there is a true problem. Upon talking with her mother, I found that she was on meds and off meds and neither was really the best solution. She was really struggling with how to get the condition under control.

It is the parents in the second group, and the schools like you mention, that make life VERY difficult for those of us who have children with true ADHD. We went through years of diet changes, behavior modification therapy, and every other kind of discipline and therapy that we could think of or that the counselor suggested. Then we had MRI, CAT scan, PET scan, EEG....and discovered that her brain doesn't "fire" properly without the assistance of her daily dose of medication. With it, she's a "normal" teenager....without it, she's angry, aggressive, impulsive, lying at the drop of a hat, stealing, inattentive, hyper, etc. She will need to take daily meds for the rest of her life to function in society.

HappyMomma

PF Addict
Mar 7, 2008
Wylie, TX
Teresa said:
It is the parents in the second group, and the schools like you mention, that make life VERY difficult for those of us who have children with true ADHD.
It really is a shame but so true.

I am very happy that you were finally able to resolve the problem and find happiness and balance in your family. That has to be such a difficult thing to go through.

Teresa

PF Fiend
Feb 2, 2007
Ohio
The first seven years of her life had a lot of horrible times, for all of us. She looks back now, remembers some of her behavior, and asks me how I ever kept from hating her. I told her she'll understand when she's a mom....that NOTHING could have ever made me hate her, no matter how frustrated/exasperated I got with her. :D

Juliem

Apr 24, 2008
This is a really sensitive subject. I do believe that there are certain children that maybe can be helped by medications. But I agree that there are way too many children using medications when they are not needed. Who do we blame for this problem? The parents of the doctors?

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
Why would you medicate a growing brain? Who is to say it might slow it's growth and cause more damage later on? Or block important chemicals to get to other parts of the brain. I'm not a neurologist but medication on a child can not be vital unless the child is a harm to himself/herself or to others.

Teresa

PF Fiend
Feb 2, 2007
Ohio
musicmom said:
Why would you medicate a growing brain? Who is to say it might slow it's growth and cause more damage later on? Or block important chemicals to get to other parts of the brain. I'm not a neurologist but medication on a child can not be vital unless the child is a harm to himself/herself or to others.
Sometimes that growing brain can't function properly, because some of the chemicals needed are not present, and they have to be stimulated via the meds. A neurologist aided in our diagnosis and agreed that my dd should be on medication.

Would you deny a diabetic child their daily insulin because it might cause damage later on, or might impact other organs? Medicating a child with true ADHD is the same concept.