Megan would like your help......

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
She has a senior project and because we are getting the exact same answers her we got permission to go outside the box and ask them elsewhere. If you guys wouldn't mind taking a moment we would appreciate it.

1. Have you heard of the Dream Act?
2. What do you think of it?
3. Would you support such an act?
4. Why or why not?

For those who have never heard of it here is a link that sums it up..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DREAM_Act

Incogneato

PF Fanatic
Feb 9, 2011
1. I have not heard of this act before reading this thread.

2. I think it's a good idea but brought about at the wrong time in our current economic situation.

3. I would not support the act in this current form (going strictly off of what I read from the wiki link).

4. I would be more apt to support such a bill if there was more rules regarding requirements to obtain and maintain employment (maybe even in a certain field if they wanted to be specific), in order to help job creation in the US and ensure that the money and resources spent on the program were going to re-invest in our own economy.

GavinH

PF Enthusiast
Aug 22, 2011
Fort Mill, SC
I have heard of it.
Bad idea that undermines the immigration laws and encourages foreign parents to enter illegally.
Definitely not.
4. Why or why not?
While I feel badly for the kids affected there are laws already in place that govern immigration. I am a citizen of the USA who came to this country legally and followed all the rules. It took years and the cost was not insignificant. By providing an alternate way for kids to become citizens I believe we create a system that will encourage illegal immigration. There are a lot of people that are in line waiting for an opportunity to legally enter this country. These kids should wait their turn like everyone else.

Perhaps we should ask those that have been waiting for years if they would mind giving up their place in the annual quota?

bssage

Super Moderator
Oct 20, 2008
Iowa

No

Looks ok to me

I thought I was sure of myself before I read the other two post. Both with legitimate points. But Until I do a little more research my gut is saying yes.

4. Why or why not?

IMO We (Americans) are kinda hypocritical when it comes to this. Unless your a Native American, we are all immigrants. And I think we have historically treated the Native American's poorly (to put it mildly)

I think the convoluted system currently in place leads to a undercurrent of issues. Similar to prohibition, Marijuana laws ect. Where we have laws and systems currently with the resources at hand are unenforceable. At best come with a massive cost both personally and fiscally.

The demand is so high that it is both unrealistic and naive to believe we can stop the behavior. We end up creating a black market and social network of people who live outside the law. Once outside the law the ethical barrier of breaking the law is less of an obstacle. And once the behavior becomes its own cost center. Consequences on both side escalate.

We have IMHO the best nation in the world. But you cant come here. I dont like that.

I dont pretend to know what the right answer is. And I understand the need oversee who comes and who doesnt.

I guess what I am saying maybe a spark for a better system would be better than doing nothing at all.

<I>Disclaimer. This is from spending five minutes reading the WiKi. I reserve the right to change my mind.</I>

Mom2all

PF Fiend
Nov 25, 2009
Eastern North Carolina, USA
Had not until I read the Wiki

I think it is a good start to an old problem. Requiring those who want to live the "American Dream" to contribute to it is a great idea. We are a melting pot nation... and closing the borders doesn't work. People are literally dying to make it here and live in hiding. Why not let them participate and put that energy into something good?

Yes

4. Why or why not?

I know of 3 very wonderful people that had to fight for citizenship. One from Mexico, one from Haiti, and one from Columbia. The 3 of them are more patriotic than almost everyone I know. They all fight in the Marine Corps for the freedoms they had to work so hard to earn. ( One flys with with our President. :D) Why not give the dream to good people willing to work for it?

Aylaissi

PF Regular
Nov 18, 2011
1. Yes
2. I think it is a bad idea, we already have laws for immigration. Yes there is the argument that we are all immigrants, however most of our parents, grandparents, great-grandparents or what not went through the process... Why can others not do it as well?
3. No, I would not support it.
4. There are many reasons that I would not support it. Among them it would only encourage illegal immigration for the possibilities of people's children. While this covers the child and how they must be to gain status, it does not cover the parents which will be flooding in. I lived in southern California for awhile and saw what that does. It is hard on an already hard economy. It is insulting to all the people who work so hard to immigrate, who work so hard to follow the laws and to be productive.

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
I had not specifically heard of this legislation but was aware of the topic of "amnesty" in general.

I support the intent of essentially decriminalizing those who are sort of stuck in illegal status.

While I have concerns like Aylaissi expressed, I think those issues are best addressed in enforcement of the current borders. Dealing with people once there are here and have been here is a somewhat different matter to me.

I have questions about the stipulation that they be in the US before enactment. That clause pre-supposes that we only have a problem with the current situtation. Until we fix the borders we're going to continue to have new "undocumented" minors, so the need for more bandaids like this.

So, I could support it, I feel it could be made better if approached more comprehensively.

GavinH

PF Enthusiast
Aug 22, 2011
Fort Mill, SC
I'm not sure I can agree with the rational that once illegals are here for a period of time we should treat them differently than those that are caught entering illegally. It's kind of saying that if a thief has had your car for a year he is not as guilty of the crime and should be treated differently from the thief that is caught in the act of stealing.

I recognize that many of these kids are perhaps victims of their parents action but I am having trouble with an acceptance that they should gain access to the USA ahead of those that are following the legal process and waiting in line.

Other than that, I agree with IADad - we have to fix the root cause before any consideration of amnesty as described in the Dream Act.

bssage

Super Moderator
Oct 20, 2008
Iowa
Reading up on it does not help either. They tell us how much revenue we will gain. Then tell us how much we will lose.

Really the only thing I am pretty sure of is we are not handling things well right now.

Incogneato

PF Fanatic
Feb 9, 2011
bssage said:
Reading up on it does not help either. They tell us how much revenue we will gain. Then tell us how much we will lose.

Really the only thing I am pretty sure of is we are not handling things well right now.

LOL, agree with this completely