methods of staying calm?...

charlottesmum

Jul 2, 2008
Hi im sarah just joined recently i feel a constant war between myself and my 3 year old daughter so joined this site for some support any ideas , i find myself shoutinga lot which i hate !, i was fine untill charlotte turned 2 then it started getting harder. Arguments trigger when shes not getting her own way which sounds stupid because i shouldnt argue with her i know ive tried naughty corner various things , i love her and reallyt hink i need tips on how to cope with tantrums and ways to de stress myself i have smackd her which i regret not hard but still i dont want to go down that route . Sometimes she talks all day long and is really energetic and it doe smy head in does anyone else know what i mean be glad of any advice ty x

HappyMomma

PF Addict
Mar 7, 2008
Wylie, TX
This age can be difficult.. they are really learning to gain their independance and in constant discovery. When you feel yourself getting frustrated, give yourself a time out. Leave the room, breathe deep and come back after you've taken a minute.

1dayatatime

PF Addict
Oct 3, 2007
AZ
Great advice. I always and still do try to explain why I need a time out. I also suggest quiet time or play the quiet game. Who ever can stay quiet the longest wins. I usually win. Offer alternatives to the endless talking. Play a game, go outside.

Trina

PF Addict
Jun 10, 2007
CT
I've found it helps a great deal to read up on child development and typical behavior issues. That way you know what to expect and have ideas on how to handle them.

Lots of helpful info here:
Behavior - ParentCenter

My DS was fairly easy at that age, but DD was a totally different story. (Still is! LOL!) At 3, I had to keep her busy doing acceptable activities or she would get into things and make big messes. Oh, the stories I could tell. :wacko:

sensoryintegrat

Jul 6, 2008
The calmer you can stay, the better. If you remain calm, even though you are boiling inside, your daughter will be more likely to move on to something else more quickly.

And you can even go in the other room and take some deep breaths and count to ten.

Good Luck!

Jessica
Home

.:Kalli Rae:.

PF Fiend
Apr 18, 2008
Rapid City SD
You need to stay calm with her. If you need a breather put her in her room with a toy or something and walk away. I had to put my kids in their rooms, close the door and go outside and close the door behind me so there were 2 closed doors between myself and my child.

That age is hard but you will get through it.

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
it's hard but you need to get a minute of quite to yourself everyday. Does she nap? My daughter didn't at this age but I still made her take at least a half hour of quiet time everyday. She could lay in her bed and read a book, watch a movie, or quietly play with a doll but she had to stay in her bed. It was more for me then her but I know it made me fell a lot better to a half hour of quiet time during the day.

Dadu2004

PF Visionary
May 16, 2008
Cleveland, OH
Does your child have access to friends her age that she can play with? If so, it would be helpful, as she'll be distracted for a while...mom can take a breather!

Your daughter may be going through the "terrible 2's" at age 3, just like my daughter did. Stay patient, stay calm, stay strong. Do what you can to step away and have mom time. Get a babysitter for a couple hours.

Good Wolf

PF Addict
Mar 11, 2008
TX
We used to do time outs a lot but she would just sit there throwing a fit the entire time. They only worked half the time and that was typically when she wore herself out into submission.

Now we tell her that we need a time out and go into our room. We lock the door and let her do her thing on the other side of the door. Once she calms down we sit down and talk to her about the episode.