MIL grrr...

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
So, just needed to vent a little about my mother in law.

Our kids are spending most of their daytime this summer with my mom. Money's a little tight and she wanted to spend more time with them so it seemed like a great fit, we provide some food each week and fill her car with gas for all the running to camp etc stuff she does and she gets some free labor watering and weeding gardens etc and gets to spend the time with them and I'm most happy that they will have this memory of their summer with her.

So, the problem is MIL. When we told her about the arrangement for this summer we made it well known that anytime she wants them we can certainly arrange that as well. MIL and FIL live 20 miles away, my mom lives 1/4 mi away, My mom is 82 and MIL/FIL are in their 70s, MIL still has an accounting practice in her home and FIL works a part time security gig. So, they aren't as available to spend a full day, but nonetheless the kids can go there if they want them, esp on friday's when FIL doesn't work.

So, the other day, my younger son was at an event with us and FIL/MIL and MIL accompanied him to a playground and helped him on the swings. Well, as she tells it, he spotted a weed and made an off-hand comment that "Looks like we need some "Roundup" here (FYI, for our members around the globe who may not be familiar "Roundup" is a common herbicide, sold for household use)

Well, Saturday, as we all gathered for my birthday, MIL gets DW aside and tells her about the playground and that she has concerns about her grandkids spending their summer in a dangerous environment. And that if it was a matter of money, she'd pay to have them watched by someone else...

Really? You B^%ch! First of all thank you for ruiningg my birthday party, it wasn't enough for you to pull a stunt like this on our wedding day, the fun must continue. How big of a leap is that, from my kid knowing about roundup and it's uses to assuming my mother is incapable of using it correctly or otherwise keeping my children safe. And to top it off, it's telling that she offered money (and all the hooks that come along with it, no doubt) rather than her time. I'm incredulous.

She's had a problem with every person who has had a caregiving role with the kids, every daycare provider, pre-school and even theri classroom teachers. So, I guess it shouldn't be a surprise anymore.

I'm trying to be the bigger person and just walk away from this, but I can't seem to let go. I find myself fantasizing about being at her funeral and spitting on her in her casket and while I know it doesn't help anything to be vindictive, I do somehow feel a perverse joy in the notion that she may die lonely and unloved.

I have put up with so much from her. I've always managed to write off each episode, to love her as a human being. We've never withheld the kids from them or spoken ill of her in their presence. But it just gets harder to do each time she repays your kindness with crap like this. I always try to remember that she has the right concern at heart, that she's just concerned about the kids, but her concerns always have to be at someone else's expense.

I hope I can move forward soon, because I really don't want to harbor ill feelings toward anyone. It doesn't solve anything and it just makes me feel bad.

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
Well I know I have wrote about my MIL here, and she has that exact kinda personality. She is severely threatened by anyone who is not her when it comes to our time and the kids. It's even worse when the kids become older and have lives of their own. When I lived with her she managed to chase just about every friend I had away.

I don't really have any advice, I just ignore it and move on. I'm not gonna change her so I don't even bother wasting my energy on it.

NancyM

PF Addict
Jul 2, 2010
New York
OH please, mine came straight from hell, she's 95 and going strong, still manipulating people, and trying to control every single thing in her path, she has hurt everyone she's ever met, she is what I consider evil. and now it seems her daughter is taking her lead.

These people are blood suckers,they drain everyone of their happiness, it's hard to keep it all in I'm beyond the point your at, now I tell her exactly what I think... you have every right to be angry I'm sure you took it all your married life like I did for the past 30 years.

Anyway I hope it helped you to vent some

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
Thanks guys it helps. I just try to remember when her parents were still with us, they used to ask what was wrong with her and then speculate about the time she feel of a pony and hit her head. That story always made me laugh.

cybele

PF Addict
Feb 27, 2012
Australia
God forbid children are exposed to gardening products. WON'T SOMEBODY PLEASE THINK OF THE CHILDREN?!?!

Thats just ridiculous.

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
cybele said:
God forbid children are exposed to gardening products. WON'T SOMEBODY PLEASE THINK OF THE CHILDREN?!?!

Thats just ridiculous.
and if I thought it was genuine concern for the safety of my kids, I'd have a different attitude, but it's not, it's about jealousy and control. nobody can possibly do things as well as she does. And she's divisive - there always has to be somebody to look down on, somebody to cut out, some alliance to conspire. She does it with her aunts and cousins, her husband's siblings, her kids, I can't imagine how she'll be when she gets old and mean.

akmom

PF Fiend
May 22, 2012
United States
Gosh, I read threads like this where everyone has an evil MIL - as do I and my sister too - and the thought of my children eventually marrying just makes me feel like a monster-to-be! Does anyone get along with their MILs?? Can a mother hope to be anything better?

cybele

PF Addict
Feb 27, 2012
Australia
My mother in law is the most amazing woman I know. I feel so lucky to have her in my life. So don't worry akmom, there is hope.

My actual mother, on the other hand...

NancyM

PF Addict
Jul 2, 2010
New York
IADad said:
and if I thought it was genuine concern for the safety of my kids, I'd have a different attitude, but it's not, it's about jealousy and control. nobody can possibly do things as well as she does. And she's divisive - there always has to be somebody to look down on, somebody to cut out, some alliance to conspire. She does it with her aunts and cousins, her husband's siblings, her kids, I can't imagine how she'll be when she gets old and mean.
I'll tell you how she's going to be IADad, just like mine at 95, nasty vindictive, manipulative, controlling, rude and disrespectful just as she is now, the only difference is that she'll be old and will claim that NO ONE cares about her, and she will appear to others that she's a poor little old lady that everyone in her family ignores ...and she'll tell all her doctors this too, and anyone else who will listen, ooooh boy you got one just like mine. Sorry. :eek:

singledad

PF Addict
Oct 26, 2009
South Africa
akmom said:
Gosh, I read threads like this where everyone has an evil MIL - as do I and my sister too - and the thought of my children eventually marrying just makes me feel like a monster-to-be! Does anyone get along with their MILs?? Can a mother hope to be anything better?
I guess the problem is that with in-laws, you don't have the option of walking away from the relationship like you would with strangers, and you don't have the same love that your SO has for them, that would make it easier to deal with their crap. Usually, when one meets someone you can't get along with, you won't spend time socializing together. But if that person is your MIL, you're stuck in a close relationship with her...

I have the same issues with my MIL. A while ago, we finally reached the point where she committed to treating me with respect, but oh boy - that was only part of the problem. Everything always has to be the way she wants it to be, and if it isn't, she would criticize and nag constantly. She is never satisfied with what I feed my daughter, how I dress her, what I let her play with, etc, etc. Constant, non-stop criticism. And then she claims to want to "help" me be a better parent... Yeah. I can live without that kind of help. I guess this is why my DD's mom was always subjected to, and why she always came home upset after she went to visit them. :mad:

I don't really have any advice... I guess I just wanted to say I know what you're talking about... It sucks, but one just has to try to not let it get to you.

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
akmom said:
My wife does. Her MIL is great ;-)

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
NancyM said:
I'll tell you how she's going to be IADad, just like mine at 95, nasty vindictive, manipulative, controlling, rude and disrespectful just as she is now, the only difference is that she'll be old and will claim that NO ONE cares about her, and she will appear to others that she's a poor little old lady that everyone in her family ignores ...and she'll tell all her doctors this too, and anyone else who will listen, ooooh boy you got one just like mine. Sorry. :eek:
the only solice I find in this answer is the knowledge that there is no way this woman is living to be 95. If she makes it 85 it'll be a miracle.

I'm just dreading the day I have to stand in a receiving line at a visitation and listen to well meaning liars and fools expound on how great she was. All I can think of to say is "thank you for your kind words," as I certainly won't be agreeing with them.

I try to think about the fact that at least I only have to deal with her occasionally, it's my FIL I feel really bad for.

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
singledad said:
I guess the problem is that with in-laws, you don't have the option of walking away from the relationship like you would with strangers, and you don't have the same love that your SO has for them, that would make it easier to deal with their crap. Usually, when one meets someone you can't get along with, you won't spend time socializing together. But if that person is your MIL, you're stuck in a close relationship with her...

I have the same issues with my MIL. A while ago, we finally reached the point where she committed to treating me with respect, but oh boy - that was only part of the problem. Everything always has to be the way she wants it to be, and if it isn't, she would criticize and nag constantly. She is never satisfied with what I feed my daughter, how I dress her, what I let her play with, etc, etc. Constant, non-stop criticism. And then she claims to want to "help" me be a better parent... Yeah. I can live without that kind of help. I guess this is why my DD's mom was always subjected to, and why she always came home upset after she went to visit them. :mad:

I don't really have any advice... I guess I just wanted to say I know what you're talking about... It sucks, but one just has to try to not let it get to you.
Thanks, it must be tough to have to put up with it on such a constant basis. As we morph into grandparents we really need to try to learn these lessons.

NancyM

PF Addict
Jul 2, 2010
New York
IADad said:
the only solice I find in this answer is the knowledge that there is no way this woman is living to be 95. If she makes it 85 it'll be a miracle.

I'm just dreading the day I have to stand in a receiving line at a visitation and listen to well meaning liars and fools expound on how great she was. All I can think of to say is "thank you for your kind words," as I certainly won't be agreeing with them.

I try to think about the fact that at least I only have to deal with her occasionally, it's my FIL I feel really bad for.
I know what you mean about the FIL I liked mine too, although looking back on some things I think he should have put his foot down and stopped her when she was verbally abusive to his children.

YEAH think again...I swear the nastyer they are the longer they live, that's what my sister kept telling me about the age, 'she's 95 she can't possible live much longer!!! ( oh yeah, she had her first massive heart attack at 82 on the steps of her heart doctor's office, instead of going back inside, she went UPHILL to her car, and drove herself home a, 20 min drive, and refused to allow me to call an ambulance, she didn't even get medical attention until 45 minutes after she got home.!!...)

My sister keeps telling me it's my fault because I keep saving her life, lol I do things like remind her to take her medicine (which I'm not allowed to touch even though I have to renew them when she runs out), I make sure she has food that she likes, and drive her to all her doctor appointments, as she complains because she doesn't like the roads I take.....'I never took this road before, I don't even know where it comes out. Why don't you go down 25A, don't expect me to pay for the gas I have no money, I need lunch but I can't buy yours I have no money, why do you always drive on different roads than I know, I never saw this road before.....blah blah blah!!!!

YOU HAVE NO FRIGGEN MEMORY MAYBE THAT'S WHY YOU DON'T KNOW WHERE YOU ARE!!!

Whaaaaa Whaaaa Whaaaaa lol there's not much we can do, but it feels good to vent.

My son imitates her so well it's just so funny. I'm laughing now but when it's happening it's not funny at all. :no:

NancyM

PF Addict
Jul 2, 2010
New York
singledad said:

That's true SingleDad, About putting up with it because our SO have feelings for them.
That's the same reason I let most of it go, and I stress MOST, She lives with us and it's not easy.,

I use to take it personally when I was younger and more sensitive to her, but now I realize she would hate anyone who married her son, and she treats everyone badly.

I too think about how my husband must have been treated as a little boy and it saddens me. Even my son said he doesn't know how his dad survived her as a kid.

SAD.:(

cybele

PF Addict
Feb 27, 2012
Australia
NancyM said:
That's true SingleDad, About putting up with it because our SO have feelings for them.
That's the same reason I let most of it go, and I stress MOST, She lives with us and it's not easy.,

I use to take it personally when I was younger and more sensitive to her, but now I realize she would hate anyone who married her son, and she treats everyone badly.

I too think about how my husband must have been treated as a little boy and it saddens me. Even my son said he doesn't know how his dad survived her as a kid.

SAD.:(
And that is saying something. People tend to see their grandparents through rose coloured glasses because grandparents do tend to 'spoil' the grandkids. I adore my Gran, she comes over to my house for dinner once a week, but her and my father have a very tense relationship, so im sure she was a MIL from hell, and my mother and her arent on the best of terms, so I don't know what she was like as a mother, all I know is that she is an amazing grandmother and great-grandmother.

NancyM

PF Addict
Jul 2, 2010
New York
cybele said:
And that is saying something. People tend to see their grandparents through rose coloured glasses because grandparents do tend to 'spoil' the grandkids. I adore my Gran, she comes over to my house for dinner once a week, but her and my father have a very tense relationship, so im sure she was a MIL from hell, and my mother and her arent on the best of terms, so I don't know what she was like as a mother, all I know is that she is an amazing grandmother and great-grandmother.
It sounds like your grammy loves her grandchildren and great grandchildren, maybe that's what changed her a little, that special kind of love, And that's how it's suppose to be. I think we all expect our grandparents to be loving, no matter what they were in their past, it shouldn't matter to us as long as they love us, and we love them.

My MIL never touched my son when she came to live with us, Like hugged him when he passed by, or just touched his face or god forbid kiss him, he was only 8 and her ONLY grandchild. She was nice to him, but if she said something and he said something silly back, (not fresh) she would tighten up her face and ignore him, he got to the point where he didn't even come out to see her during the day during the time I was working and he was home for the summers.

Don't you know she blamed it all on him, she said 'why should I go see him, he doesn't come out to do anything with me" mind you he was 8 and was kind of afraid of her. I reminded her that she is the adult and it's she who should initiate the 'the invitation" lol what a horses ass.

It was one of the reasons I decided to work from home and make my own hours. HER!! Wouldn't trust her with my son as far as I could throw her.

She would even go to MacDonalds and not bring him back anything. only for herself. She said she asked him but he doesn't like hamburgers!!! NO. the real reason is that he liked the chicken nuggets and she only bought off the dollar meals, because she's so cheap, so he had nothing.

One time when my son decided he didn't like playing the Cello anymore and stopped, she sat me down and told me SHE was disappointed in my son because he dropped instrument. (He was 9 yrs old and experimenting with different interests) I told him that's fine.

I nicely told her that God didn't put Max on the earth for her to approve of, so maybe she needs to see her doctor about her problem. lol
Well she told my husband on me again, and certainly talked about me for weeks, I know this b/c other people told me.

Of course she told my son that too, so he only disliked her more. She had so many reasons to be proud of Max at that time academically, but she choose to pick on the one thing she found fault in.

That is why my son said what he did, b/c she hurt him too, and I told him that's fine the way he feels about her.
I

cybele

PF Addict
Feb 27, 2012
Australia
That is terrible. It actually reminds me of my mother, only slightly less off the wall style of insanity that my parents seem to be very good at.

A similar music-related incident happened with Lux, all my kids (bar Sasha, who wants to when he starts school next year anyway) did piano lessons as an extra curricular at primary school, Lux is't anywhere near as musically inclined as the older three, they tend to be more artistic, whereas she is very academic, and after two years she had enough of it, and that was fine, she gave it a go and it didn't work out, my mother went ballistic "All little girls should play the piano bla bla bla, I have never been more disappointed in her" (funny she didn't have this mindset when I was little and wanted to learn) and honestly, if you are disappointed in a 7yr old because they tried something and didn't like it, then man, prepare for some major disappointment.

But yeah, aside from her odd little things she would come out with, like that, every now and then, my older 4 have seen and experienced things at the hands of my parents that are just awful, and I am no longer on speaking terms with them (there is also a restraining order out on my father where he cannot come near my husband, so that helps) Sasha doesn't really know much, he knows who Gramma and Grampa are, he has seen photos and if someone says one of their names he knows that they are his grandparents and my Mum and Dad, but I don't think he realises yet why his brother and sisters dislike them so strongly, and he is getting to an age where he is starting to ask questions, and it is only a matter of time before he asks why we don't see them, or the glaringly obvious one that I am surprised he hasn't asked about yet, "Why does Daddy have to wear a shoulder brace?" (my father, sledgehammer, the source of the restraining order)

I guess that kind of makes me go softer on my own Grandmother, I see my parents as "the bad guys" so regardless of anything she said or did, in my mind, I just can't see my mother being sweet and innocent.

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
Here's the most recent for my MIL. My oldest just turned 21 and felt that would be a good age to get a girlfriend (learning disabilities and bi-polar). My DD asked him if he was gonna go to a bar and pick up some girls (made him blush). My MIL pop's off with "he could get arrested for prostituion!" My DD was like "WHAT? How?" according to my MIL, if you don't know the girl it's like prostitution. You have to know them in order for it not to be, according to her it is an outdated law that officials still like to use. So my DD asked "well then how are you supposed to meet people if you don't know them?"....MIL had no answer for that.
That is one of her many "weird" laws. One other one is if you drive someone else's car, even with their permission, you can be arrested for auto theft. It's not your car so legally you can't drive it. I wonder how that works with car rental places?