MIL inspired poll...

Is it rude?...

• yes it's rude and I hate it...

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • no, she's right and your crazy. I love being told I'm big...

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • depends on who says it...

Votes: 7 70.0%

• Total voters

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
OK so she has told me a couple times now how big I am and I finally told her I hate that and I'm pretty sure it's rude. Her answer was to tell me she never cared and she's never known anyone but me who doesn't like to be told they're getting big. I want answers...lol Is it rude to tell a pregnant women they're big?

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
Dadu2004 said:
I think it depends on who says it. Some people in this world have earned the right to say things to you that others cant.
I tend to agree actually. I think it depends a lot on the way it's said as well

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
I agree it depends.

If it is "DAMN you are big" that would be rude, but if it is "you are getting big" not so much. Those are words I always wanted to hear, I always got "are you sure there is a baby in there?".

Father_0f_7

PF Addict
Aug 19, 2008
F.I., Florida
Yeah, if it's like "Aww, you're getting so big" then I guess that's okay (I dont know, I've never been a pregnant woman) But if it's like "You're big" just like a casual thing then I dont know.

Skyburning

PF Fiend
Oct 6, 2007
Mississippi
It depends on the pregnant mother...doesn't matter if it's said in the nicest way ever, if she's sensitive about her weight it won't matter how you say it.

Teresa

PF Fiend
Feb 2, 2007
Ohio
I don't think you're crazy, but I don't think it's rude to tell a pregnant woman she's getting big. It's not YOU, it's the BABY, and it just means the baby is growing and is healthy. I always smiled and said "Yes, we're both doing just fine, thanks for noticing."

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
ya know it's funny cause it didn't bother me as much with the first 2. This one just popped so quick that I feel like a big fat whale. I think I wouldn't mind it if she didn't know that was already feeling bad about the way I look, but she does know and makes comments anyways. I just want to hit her...lol

meow_173

PF Addict
Jan 3, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
I lost about 20 pounds throwing up etc in the first 3 months of this prgnancy, and i mean it was good that i did, but my fear is putting it back on. I know i'm going to gain weight regardless, but i am dead set on loosing it ASAP after its born.

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
between breastfeeding, weight watchers, and chasing 3 kids I hope to be down to my pre-Logan weight quickly

16th ave.

PF Addict
Jan 4, 2009
East Texas
well, for the most part its just plain rude. you're pregnant. it's your body. you know you're getting big. there's no sense in pointing that out and making ya feel worse than what ya already do.
but! if its hubby or your closest friend after dh, and ya know they mean well and are giving you their opnion about it b/c ya asked or its something ya'll generally discuss then its fine.
but mostly---its just plain rude, especially when the person saying it knows you don't want to hear it or anything..

gr8mom

PF Fanatic
Mar 1, 2008
Texas
I think most of the time it's meant as "the baby's getting big" but I agree with the others it depends on who says it and how it's said. If it's said as if in disgust then yes, it's very rude. If it's said as in "pregnant women are so cute" then it's fine. Kind of like the "Can I feel your belly?" question you don't want just everybody saying it.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
No, I hate it. I don't need people to act as captain obvious to me, with the possibility of it hurting my feelings or not, but saying it anyway. I don't think its right.

Meow - I lost 15lbs in the first three months with Eli too, because of being sick all the time. And then when it stopped I gained like 45lbs. :D So don't get too excited. lmao (hopefully you'll be luckier than me)

Edit: I did lose all of it after he was born though, and a smidge extra.

AmyBelle

PF Fiend
Apr 20, 2008
Australia
My MIL, "Amy, youre getting a bit big there, be careful or soon my son will be finding that he has wandering eyes"

Yep, she's a charmer that one.

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
AmyBelle said:
My MIL, "Amy, youre getting a bit big there, be careful or soon my son will be finding that he has wandering eyes"

Yep, she's a charmer that one.
omg...do we share a MIL? That's totally something she would say to me :mad: