milk feeding schedule of 2 year old...

momat18

PF Regular
Aug 12, 2011
hello,

can anyone tell me how many times should i feed milk to my 2 year old?
he is bottle fed and now wakes up 2 times in the middle of the night and cry for milk. he takes total of 4 feedings per day. is it all right or should we try to feed less and how do we get him to sleep through the night? also, is it the time to start the transition between bottle and cup?

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
By 2 he should already be drinking from a cup, even if he still enjoys a bottle. Most children that age do not 'need' milk so long as they are getting dairy from other sources, such as; yogurt, cheese etc,..

If you want to start getting him to sleep through the night with out letting him CIO you are going to have to stop the bottles. How? there are a few ways, one is to rub his back and soothe him other ways if he wakes at night or start watering down the bottles until you are at straight water, eventually he'll loose interest and realize that there is nothing good in his bottles ther for there is no reason to be waking up.

Mountain9Mom

PF Regular
Feb 11, 2012
Mine gets milk 3 times a day: morning, afternoon snack time and before bed. 8oz each time. Dr said we can reduce a little bit.

Anne M

Oct 17, 2011
Philippines
Best to ask your doctor about how much milk your baby should have... there should be a minimum. Have you introduced sippy cups yet?

And if you want to wean him at night, this is what I did: I gave my son as much milk and some food before bed. There were times he'd wake up in the middle of the night wanting to drink milk. I'd tell him that he could drink in the morning instead. I'd have a glass of water nearby.

One of the reasons his two front teeth were pulled at the age of 3 was because of the middle of the night milk habit - formula has sugar which of course ruins the teeth.