Mom of a teenager...

mom1968

Oct 3, 2011
Hi,

Mom of 2 boys here-10/14
My 14 year old is a Freshman in high school and I'm here to seek some balance in my life as I deal with teenage peer pressures trying to run my home. Looking fwd to interacting

GavinH

PF Enthusiast
Aug 22, 2011
Fort Mill, SC
Hi Mom1968 - welcome to the forum. Lots of good folks and opinions here. I have learned a good deal from the various people on this forum.

debbiechick

Oct 6, 2011
What exactly do you mean by "teenage peer presures?"

I know very little about your situation, but I do know that the older a child gets, the more responsibility should be bestowed on them. They will fail you. It's a fact of life. Their failure is not a time to freak out, but a time to learn a lesson. If you fail to give them responsibility, they will rebel. At that point you've created an angry teenager.

Authoritative parenting style works wonders. Be prepared to research this.

Shiroi Tora

PF Enthusiast
Aug 4, 2011
I am at a loss as to what you meant by teenage peer pressure running YOUR home. Maybe you mean that your son...by giving in to the peer pressure he feels... tries to not follow the rules of the house?

I would like to air a reasoned argument but I am unclear as to what you mean.

MomoJA

PF Fiend
Feb 18, 2011
Welcome,

I am an "elderly" single-mom of a nearly 5yo girl, so I don't have teenagers yet, but I understand what you mean about peer pressure running your household. (I teach teenagers.)

I hope you find some good advice here. We've got some parents of teens who are very wise.

Shiroi Tora

PF Enthusiast
Aug 4, 2011
MomoJA said:
Welcome,

I am an "elderly" single-mom of a nearly 5yo girl, so I don't have teenagers yet, but I understand what you mean about peer pressure running your household. (I teach teenagers.)

I hope you find some good advice here. We've got some parents of teens who are very wise.
I am still uncertain as to what it meant. Would you please explain so I may have give a possibly helpful response?

MomoJA

PF Fiend
Feb 18, 2011
I'm not sure she was actually looking for specific advice here. This is just where you introduce yourself and say a little about your parenting situation.

However, I think what she is referring to is the difficulty many parents have countering the influence peers have on their teens - behaviors, language, values, (especially values,) and the resulting rebellion against the family's values.

I'm thinking she was speaking broadly here, but I'm guessing she will get into specifics in the various thread.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Welcome to the forum! I have a four year old and a 3.5 month old. I haven't been through teenagers yet, but the concept is scary lol! Hope you enjoy posting here, we're a good bunch I think. :)

rESPONSIBLE

Oct 10, 2011
I learned a lot from this site. thewillpower.org
My kids are already through college but this helped so much. :7

MJCorr

PF Regular
Oct 6, 2011
Hi mom1968, I'm a dad of a 10 year old boy, no teens but I remember when my wife's older boy was a teen (before we were married) and I have some idea where you are coming from.

welcome,

MJ

herbrother

Oct 12, 2011
I never realized how stressful it is raising a teenager, I don't know how my parents dealt with me, & now its back biting me in the ***.

MyKidTivity

Oct 24, 2011
Los Angeles, Ca
Hi mom1968,

Welcome to the forum. My expertise is in online safety & best practices. Let me know if you have any concerns in those areas or related areas and I'll be glad to assist as much as possible.

welcome :)