Money...

Antoinette

PF Addict
Mar 2, 2010
Australia
So i don't know how much you know about Australia but in the past (and present) we have had government subsidised education (university level) so we can afford to study and get a degree without spending $50,000-$100,000 (or more) to attend uni but now according to our new budget this could all be over as of 2016 and universities will be able to set their own fee's for their courses rather than the government and tax payer money going towards subsidies for it.

i do not agree with this idea but it is neither here nor there because there is nothing i can do for it other than prepare. When Felix, Alegra and Mikaela were born i opened each of them a bank account which i planned to give them access to when they turned 18, but now i am thinking that this money would be better spent on their educations. the problem is that i have only been putting $10 per week in which is really all i can afford and their grandmother has put in $100 every year for their birthday's (but i can't real yrely on her to do this forever). so Felix for example is now nearly 7 and his balance is $4,340 and if i continue to put money in at this rate he should have just over $10,000 (or $11,160 if my mum keeps giving money as presents) by the time he turns 18 but this doesn't seem like enough.

So, to the people who live in America and have had to deal with this education system already; what can you tell me about what i am supposed to do? what do you do to try to benefit your children's further education? i don't want to rely on a scholarship and leave them with no way to attend university without facing a bill that will loom over them their entire lives. i would at least like to be able to pay enough of it the bill that it becomes manageable for them

TIA :D

singledad

PF Addict
Oct 26, 2009
South Africa
Well, here we have to pay out of pocket for education, and depending on what you want, it is expensive.

I have investments specifically aimed towards my children's education - there is a fixed amount deducted from my account every month (that incresses yearly, in line with inflation). That really is the only way in which an ordinary family can save up enough.

The best advice I can give (not really knowing if it makes any sense in an Australian context) is to speak to an (independent) financial adviser...

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
Will there be options? Here we have student loans, scholarships, grants etc,.

They aren't perfect, but they are options. My kids always knew schooling would fall on them, that's why grades were stressed with them. Now that doesn't mean I haven't put money out, it just means they carried the bulk of it.

SD's right though, start talking with an advisor. They will really be able to give you the best advice.

Antoinette

PF Addict
Mar 2, 2010
Australia
yeah i guess i just don't really know enough about it yet. it doesn't come into place for another 2 years. but right now a course might cost $30,000 but if you can't pay it then it is covered by Hex fee's which you don't have to start paying back until you have a steady job. i think i probably just need more information about this new budget

cybele

PF Addict
Feb 27, 2012
Australia
I'm not holding my breath on most of the crap Abbott is dishing out, simply because there are no details.
We will still have a government subsidy and hecs only it won't be interest free, it's just the changing of a set fee per course, I know the Go8 have spoken out against his new policy, as have many other universities.

Given the current political climate here, it wouldn't surprise me if more of his 'extreme' things that have just come out of the blue will go the way of the carbon tax, or the Indonesia solution.

Meanwhile, this has been doing the facebook rounds on my feed which has been giving me a bit of a chuckle